By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1UP reviews Super Mario Galaxy - 9.5

Dtewi calm down man.

There can be more than one thread for SMG, the game is just that big.
There were multiple Halo 3 threads from memory.

Around the Network

This is it. This is the game that will cause me to buy a Wii again.

I'm not seeing any more SMG videos until I finish playing this game. Too many spoilers, I don't want to know the whole game or all the suits Mario can get before playing it!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

An OFFICIAL Halo 3 thread?

Official threads are meant to make sure the forum is spammed with dupe threads.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

It DESERVES every single POINT!!

I''m so jealous of you wii guys right now!!!!!!

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Did anyone else find nothing negative in this review? I don't understand how they can give a game a 9.5 when they can't find anything negative not a month after giving Halo a 10 and complaining about the campaign mode being polished but mediocre? I like the review, and it's well written, but damn they aren't helping me respect their site's scoring system when they do stupid stuff like this.

Don't get me wrong. I doubt I will score the game higher than a 9.5 myself, but I'm not 1UP and I'm not a professional review source. Professional review sources should be consistent. If you can't find anything to complain about in the game, and spend the whole review claiming it's the best platformer ever, then what did you use as a basis for the 9.5? Is there some 1UP company policy that prevents Nintendo games from scoring 10s?

Halo also has more then a mediocre campaign, mario galaxy is technically only the compaign, Halo also has alot of features.

THe average right now from game rankings is 96, so 1 up is almost right on the dot

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
dtewi said:
An OFFICIAL Halo 3 thread?

Official threads are meant to make sure the forum is spammed with dupe threads.

I, like many others, don't like sifting through 200 posts just to read about a specific topic.  That's why official threads are boo boo, because there are 10 different conversations going on all at the same time, about completely different things.  I prefer different topics if they each contain different points of conversation, even if they have a similar subject matter.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

sooooo close I can taste it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Lost tears of Kain said:
naznatips said:
Did anyone else find nothing negative in this review? I don't understand how they can give a game a 9.5 when they can't find anything negative not a month after giving Halo a 10 and complaining about the campaign mode being polished but mediocre? I like the review, and it's well written, but damn they aren't helping me respect their site's scoring system when they do stupid stuff like this.

Don't get me wrong. I doubt I will score the game higher than a 9.5 myself, but I'm not 1UP and I'm not a professional review source. Professional review sources should be consistent. If you can't find anything to complain about in the game, and spend the whole review claiming it's the best platformer ever, then what did you use as a basis for the 9.5? Is there some 1UP company policy that prevents Nintendo games from scoring 10s?

Halo also has more then a mediocre campaign, mario galaxy is technically only the compaign, Halo also has alot of features.

THe average right now from game rankings is 96, so 1 up is almost right on the dot

1. The 1UP review actually brought the average score down (not complaining, just letting you know).

2. Halo 3 has the extra content because it needs it to be a complete game. Mario doesn't need the fantastic multiplayer because it has a perfect campaign. Having just a lot of extra features doesn't make anything good.

-edit-
And just so the thread doesn't derail and I don't get drug into a completely unnecessary argument, I'm not complaining about the 1UP score, I'm not comparing Halo 3 to SMG, and I'm not saying anything bad about Halo 3 so don't even try to start with me on any of those things.

Prediction for the Gamespot review:

1) "We saw this planet thing before in Ratchet & Clank." -0.5 points
2) "Motion controls don't work well because I'm too much of an idiot to set my sensor bar up properly." -1 point
3) "No online multiplayer. Nintendo hates online." -0.5 points
4) "Not as pretty as [insert Xbox 360 game here]." -0.5 points

Total: 7.5/10

Final line: "Mario Galaxy may be revolutionary, and it may be a whole hell of a lot of fun, but it just feels 'last-gen' in so many ways."

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom