By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1UP reviews Super Mario Galaxy - 9.5

twesterm said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
naznatips said:
Did anyone else find nothing negative in this review? I don't understand how they can give a game a 9.5 when they can't find anything negative not a month after giving Halo a 10 and complaining about the campaign mode being polished but mediocre? I like the review, and it's well written, but damn they aren't helping me respect their site's scoring system when they do stupid stuff like this.

Don't get me wrong. I doubt I will score the game higher than a 9.5 myself, but I'm not 1UP and I'm not a professional review source. Professional review sources should be consistent. If you can't find anything to complain about in the game, and spend the whole review claiming it's the best platformer ever, then what did you use as a basis for the 9.5? Is there some 1UP company policy that prevents Nintendo games from scoring 10s?

Halo also has more then a mediocre campaign, mario galaxy is technically only the compaign, Halo also has alot of features.

THe average right now from game rankings is 96, so 1 up is almost right on the dot

1. The 1UP review actually brought the average score down (not complaining, just letting you know).

2. Halo 3 has the extra content because it needs it to be a complete game. Mario doesn't need the fantastic multiplayer because it has a perfect campaign. Having just a lot of extra features doesn't make anything good.

-edit-
And just so the thread doesn't derail and I don't get drug into a completely unnecessary argument, I'm not complaining about the 1UP score, I'm not comparing Halo 3 to SMG, and I'm not saying anything bad about Halo 3 so don't even try to start with me on any of those things.

Sorry if this is argueing

The thing is it got a 10(though they did bring it down). I think I learned this from you. 10 would apply thyat it couldn't get any better, but in a way that's not true. So if anything is wrong, it can't get a 10.

Just my thoughts. I agree with naz and sqrl. But those reviews may be done by different people.

Around the Network

LtoK, I'm not the one who called Halo 3's campaign mediocre. I've never played the campaign (only multiplayer), so I don't have an opinion on it. My point has nothing to do with the quality of Halo 3. It has to do with 1UP giving it a 10 after calling the campaign mediocre then giving SMG a 9.5 after gushing their hearts out throughout the review. Again, it's a well written review, but the score should reflect the content.

After read it I just wanted to cry =(

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

The only things in the review which can be seen as negative are:

"Granted, it's not a perfectly clean break; Mario still does plenty of collecting. But those elements are far less obtrusive here than we've been conditioned to expect by 10 years of lazy mimicry."

and

"even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero"

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Absolutelly good! But on the same time just bad... DAMN JAPAN, BUY THIS AWESOME GAME!!! I wanted to do it, but just can't :(

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
naznatips said:
Did anyone else find nothing negative in this review? I don't understand how they can give a game a 9.5 when they can't find anything negative not a month after giving Halo a 10 and complaining about the campaign mode being polished but mediocre? I like the review, and it's well written, but damn they aren't helping me respect their site's scoring system when they do stupid stuff like this.

Don't get me wrong. I doubt I will score the game higher than a 9.5 myself, but I'm not 1UP and I'm not a professional review source. Professional review sources should be consistent. If you can't find anything to complain about in the game, and spend the whole review claiming it's the best platformer ever, then what did you use as a basis for the 9.5? Is there some 1UP company policy that prevents Nintendo games from scoring 10s?

Halo also has more then a mediocre campaign, mario galaxy is technically only the compaign, Halo also has alot of features.

THe average right now from game rankings is 96, so 1 up is almost right on the dot

1. The 1UP review actually brought the average score down (not complaining, just letting you know).

2. Halo 3 has the extra content because it needs it to be a complete game. Mario doesn't need the fantastic multiplayer because it has a perfect campaign. Having just a lot of extra features doesn't make anything good.

-edit-
And just so the thread doesn't derail and I don't get drug into a completely unnecessary argument, I'm not complaining about the 1UP score, I'm not comparing Halo 3 to SMG, and I'm not saying anything bad about Halo 3 so don't even try to start with me on any of those things.

Who says marios campaign is perfect? i thought i heard it from your own mouth that nothing is perfect, now your expressing where your opinions lie.

I dont really care if it brought it down, will still most likely effect the total score it recieves.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
naznatips said:
LtoK, I'm not the one who called Halo 3's campaign mediocre. I've never played the campaign (only multiplayer), so I don't have an opinion on it. My point has nothing to do with the quality of Halo 3. It has to do with 1UP giving it a 10 after calling the campaign mediocre then giving SMG a 9.5 after gushing their hearts out throughout the review. Again, it's a well written review, but the score should reflect the content.

THey also mentioned things in the review wrong with Mario, and yes halo 3s campaign is rather medicore/good. But halo is not just campaign its ALOT of features. Again, i dont know if halo deserved a 10, but its an opinion, and im just stating why they might possibly have given halo 3 a 10

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Lol, now i know why they changed the title from "10 reasons why Galaxy could get a perfect 10" to "10 reasons why Galaxy could be incredible"

Anywho, i searched the article twice to find a negative point, after much time, i found that there was one, due to the lack of HD resolutions... I'm still confused at why 360 and PS3 games aren't brought down due to the lack of pointing functionality in their controllers....

I don't really mind about the 9.5, because the actual text in the review tells me much more than that number: that there is nothing wrong with this game at all