By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales 12/10 (Tales of Graces and other games)

I'm thinking ToG will continue to sell well. It's not a huge first day, but there are a lot of factors all pointing to a less front-loaded game here:

It's a Wii game.
It's out during the holidays.
It's out in between the two biggest games of the holidays.

All these things suggest it should have a more gradual sales curve. Only time will tell, I guess.

Around the Network
Alic0004 said:
I'm thinking ToG will continue to sell well. It's not a huge first day, but there are a lot of factors all pointing to a less front-loaded game here:

It's a Wii game.

All these things suggest it should have a more gradual sales curve. Only time will tell, I guess.

Exactly. Kind of tried to get that across since the first page XD But people seldom listen once they've made up their minds.

Also, I still think it's way too early to judge anything at all about this game's sales when we only have one day of sales. And again, I reiterate for maybe the tenth time in this thread, we still have no idea if bundles are counted into this number or not.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
outlawauron said:
dcease said:
@outlaw - Of course ToG had a ton of work put into it, anything worth doing is worth doing well.
Would you suggest that ToG had a bigger development expense than ToV?

Obviously the direct correlation of Yen to US is different from the generic $50. The point is the amount of money sunk into the production. HW limitations are HW limitations, which is where the art department gets capped at (money capped, not capped like with a gun ;) ) HD artwork (models, levels, textures) takes up a considerable portion of a development budget, would you not agree?

Should you get banned too for the "insults" you just posted at me?

I'm not sure if this still you bardiverse, but I never insulted you.

I'm not sure exactly how long Graces was in development for in comparison to Vesperia, but if it's a large difference, then I'd say yes. I  believe that with big teams the length of development costs more than anything else as you have to pay those salaries of the big teams. Of course, usually HD games are more expensive because they require more development time and larger teams.

Regardless of the generic $50 or whatever, Vesperia still had tons over 200k copies sold at well over $70 which is a substantially different amount of money when using $50. I can't find the exact price, but most import shops have it no cheaper than $80.

Both games were announced roughly 8 months prior to their release, so we can assume that their development time was probably around the same. If it's any help at all, when Graces was announced formally (in April 2009), the developers said it was 30% complete. So I guess we can assume that both had approximately a year of dev time each, or somewhere around that number.

Thanks for this. It's pretty obvious that Graces costed less to make, but to say that Vesperia cost a lot more just seems silly.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Alic0004 said:

It's a Wii game.

Exactly. Kind of tried to get that across since the first page XD But people seldom listen once they've made up their minds.

Also, I still think it's way too early to judge anything at all about this game's sales when we only have one day of sales. And again, I reiterate for maybe the tenth time in this thread, we still have no idea if bundles are counted into this number or not.

1) You did get this across in the first page. ;)

2) This happens all the time. Especially in regards to the Wii but not exclusive to it. As many people are quick to call flop on a game not on their system of choice. Remember MH3 talk of that being a flop? lol. If it wasn't so ludicrous it'd be funny, hell even being so ludicrous its still funny. More recently with Mario bros being called a flop after Day 1 sales.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Alic0004 said:

It's a Wii game.

1) You did get this across in the first page. ;)

2) This happens all the time. Especially in regards to the Wii but not exclusive to it. As many people are quick to call flop on a game not on their system of choice. Remember MH3 talk of that being a flop? lol. If it wasn't so ludicrous it'd be funny, hell even being so ludicrous its still funny. More recently with Mario bros being called a flop after Day 1 sales.

It happens on both sides.  Plenty of people were saying DotNW's sales were only low because it wasn't a main line game, and it would have good legs because it was on the wii.  Yet it didn't have good legs, and had a higher first day than Graces.

Around the Network
patjuan32 said:
mrstickball said:
Great for Modern Warfare 2, personally disappointing for Tales of Graces. Its a mainline Tales game, yet will not be anywhere close to Vesperia (X360+PS3)

Actually the game sold very well considering the competition that it has to face, New Super Mario Bros. and Final Fantasy XIII. Just the fact that it is on the same console as New Super Mario Bros. and still managed to sell in line with the other main Tales games is a plus. This means its probably going to sell very well.

So games can't sell well when there are any other major games coming out? I don't think that is good logic at all.

Which mainline Tales did it sell near? Vesperia on the worst selling console this gen?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
patjuan32 said:
mrstickball said:
Great for Modern Warfare 2, personally disappointing for Tales of Graces. Its a mainline Tales game, yet will not be anywhere close to Vesperia (X360+PS3)

Actually the game sold very well considering the competition that it has to face, New Super Mario Bros. and Final Fantasy XIII. Just the fact that it is on the same console as New Super Mario Bros. and still managed to sell in line with the other main Tales games is a plus. This means its probably going to sell very well.

So games can't sell well when there are any other major games coming out? I don't think that is good logic at all.

Which mainline Tales did it sell near? Vesperia on the worst selling console this gen?

Why do you think every single game except NSMBWii and Assassin's Creed II got delayed to Q1 2010? Because of Modern Warfare 2. We all know it. Don't try and deny it. Sure, a few probably got delayed for extra dev time or whatever, but most were afraid of getting eaten alive. Which they most likely would have.

Also, it's way too early to tell if it sold near mainline Tales-games or not because these are first day sales.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
mrstickball said:
patjuan32 said:
mrstickball said:

Why do you think every single game except NSMBWii and Assassin's Creed II got delayed to Q1 2010? Because of Modern Warfare 2. We all know it. Don't try and deny it. Sure, a few probably got delayed for extra dev time or whatever, but most were afraid of getting eaten alive. Which they most likely would have.

Also, it's way too early to tell if it sold near mainline Tales-games or not because these are first day sales.

What about Left 4 Dead, Dragon Age, and about a dozen other games that launched this quarter? I'd argue that games moved to Q1 and Q2 of 2010 not because of Modern Warfare but rather because of how bad some titles did in 2008 despite no behemoth in competition. Furthermore, we're talking about Japan here, and not North America or Europe.

Do you realize how well first day sales for RPGs go to predict the long tail of the title? This isn't a new IP we're talking about, but a mainline game in a very established series. Because of that, we can easily project sales for Tales of Graces using DOTNW and multiple other Tales games.

The simple fact is this: Tales of Graces did not reach Vesperia on PS3, nor Dawn of the New World on first day, nor any older Tales game. Tales games are usually frontloaded and cater to a specific user base. Because of these known facts it is very reasonable to make the assumption that this Tales game will struggle to reach 300,000 in Japan (low for a Tales game), and may be closer to 250,000 when everything is said and done.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Them's bettin' words.

:)

ToG sold average but its still only first day numbers, we shall see how it performs in the long term. Like other people said it comes out in a very busy time of year, competing with New Super Mario Bros and SW III on that console. And of course FF XIII is coming out soon that definately diverted a lot of RPG fans. But we should wait for shipment numbers etc. etc. and wait few more weeks.