By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales 12/10 (Tales of Graces and other games)

darthdevidem01 said:
wow you guys are brutal towards trestres!

While maybe not on the same magnitude as that of Kyliedog, he can be quite a debbie downer and negative nancy at times haha. 

OP: well I had expected first day sales to be at about 140k-150k region, 113k is definitely lower than I expected.  But some still decent numbers.  Probably a 140k-175k opener which is pretty good. 

Around the Network

@outlaw - Of course ToG had a ton of work put into it, anything worth doing is worth doing well.
Would you suggest that ToG had a bigger development expense than ToV?

Obviously the direct correlation of Yen to US is different from the generic $50. The point is the amount of money sunk into the production. HW limitations are HW limitations, which is where the art department gets capped at (money capped, not capped like with a gun ;) ) HD artwork (models, levels, textures) takes up a considerable portion of a development budget, would you not agree?

Should you get banned too for the "insults" you just posted at me?

Zucas said:
darthdevidem01 said:

While maybe not on the same magnitude as that of Kyliedog, he can be quite a debbie downer and negative nancy at times haha. 

OP: well I had expected first day sales to be at about 140k-150k region, 113k is definitely lower than I expected.  But some still decent numbers.  Probably a 140k-175k opener which is pretty good. 

Well some people over hype positive things {flails his hands around in the air}

others may make things seem worse than they are

In the trestres department, he never says anything in a way which makes it seem like he's trolling, he hasn't flamed the wii & its clear he is honestly happy whenever wii does well & gets good games...thats why I can't call him out.....he's just a passionate fan

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Zucas said:
darthdevidem01 said:

In the trestres department, he never says anything in a way which makes it seem like he's trolling, he hasn't flamed the wii & its clear he is honestly happy whenever wii does well & gets good games...thats why I can't call him out.....he's just a passionate fan

Well true, but he is, every now and then, the guy who walks into a happy moment, and talks about all the atrocities in the world and brings the mood down haha.  Of course Kyliedog is like 10x worse about that... ugh don't understand that guy half the time.  But I know tres a little more than some in here do and he is pretty passionate but most don't get to hear all the sides he shows which is why they may hate him.  But once again he cffan be a debbie downer.

But on everything here, I just hope Tales of Graces has a good first week and really hope Namco puts it out in America. 

I thought over 100k was good and pretty much par for the course in reagards to Tales games. Also we are unsure if this includes bundles or not. In addition ioi has mentioned in the other thread that during the holidays openings tend to be lower but legs stronger.

But this is hilarious though, Mario was a flop too after FD sales and now ToG is a flop on FD sales. Would be funny if it ends up at 200k for the wk.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Great for Modern Warfare 2, personally disappointing for Tales of Graces. Its a mainline Tales game, yet will not be anywhere close to Vesperia (X360+PS3)

Actually the game sold very well considering the competition that it has to face, New Super Mario Bros. and Final Fantasy XIII. Just the fact that it is on the same console as New Super Mario Bros. and still managed to sell in line with the other main Tales games is a plus. This means its probably going to sell very well.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

darthdevidem01 said:
Zucas said:
darthdevidem01 said:

The thing about trestres is (goddamn you for involving me in this, I don't want to accidentally start flaming him again), he comes off way too strong. Passionate fan? Sure, but whenever some news comes along about any game related to the Wii he seems to spin in the most negative direction possible and pretty much says "3rd parties will ignore the Wii, and rightfully so". He sees everything as a flop even when it's not. I mean, sure, a lot of people are the exact opposite - Like a few people here said, it's annoying when people act as if the Wii can do no wrong. But then you also have to hone up to the fact that the opposite has to be at least equally annoying, because tres acts like everything the Wii does is wrong.

I know that's not what he thinks, because he genuinely does like the Wii, I've seen that from several of his posts, but that's what he sounds like. And that's annoying. The reason I try not to attack him anymore (I apologize for my prior transgressions, tres) is because I know this - I know he doesn't do it to troll, and I know he comes off stronger than he means to (at least it feels like he is).

The problem about tres is quite simply that he gets too passionate and to people who aren't used to his posts, it looks like he's just a typical hater.

Remember that Microsoft financed Tales of Vesperia's development in exchange for one year of exclusivity.*  Probably gives that game a pretty big advantage in terms of profitability.

*Don't eat me alive if I'm wrong about this, I'm just going by all the articles that said as much from a few months ago.

dcease said:
@outlaw - Of course ToG had a ton of work put into it, anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Obviously the direct correlation of Yen to US is different from the generic $50. The point is the amount of money sunk into the production. HW limitations are HW limitations, which is where the art department gets capped at (money capped, not capped like with a gun ;) ) HD artwork (models, levels, textures) takes up a considerable portion of a development budget, would you not agree?

I'm not sure if this still you bardiverse, but I never insulted you.

I'm not sure exactly how long Graces was in development for in comparison to Vesperia, but if it's a large difference, then I'd say yes. I  believe that with big teams the length of development costs more than anything else as you have to pay those salaries of the big teams. Of course, usually HD games are more expensive because they require more development time and larger teams.

Regardless of the generic $50 or whatever, Vesperia still had over 200k copies sold at well over $70 which is a substantially different amount of money when using $50. I can't find the exact price, but most import shops have it no cheaper than $80.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
dcease said:

I'm not sure if this still you bardiverse, but I never insulted you.

I'm not sure exactly how long Graces was in development for in comparison to Vesperia, but if it's a large difference, then I'd say yes. I  believe that with big teams the length of development costs more than anything else as you have to pay those salaries of the big teams. Of course, usually HD games are more expensive because they require more development time and larger teams.

Regardless of the generic $50 or whatever, Vesperia still had tons over 200k copies sold at well over $70 which is a substantially different amount of money when using $50. I can't find the exact price, but most import shops have it no cheaper than $80.

Both games were announced roughly 8 months prior to their release, so we can assume that their development time was probably around the same. If it's any help at all, when Graces was announced formally (in April 2009), the developers said it was 30% complete. So I guess we can assume that both had approximately a year of dev time each, or somewhere around that number.