By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I Get Demon's Souls?

I've got a friend heading over to NA soon. I'm planning on picking up the God Of War Collection and possibly one other game. Demon's Souls might be a good choice as it's also not available in Europe.

Now, on to the question.

Would I enjoy Demons Souls if I got it?

I have no interest whatsoever in JRPG's. As for western RPG's I really like Fable and I think Oblivion is just average. I have very little gaming experience in the genre.

Reasons I'm interested:

-The look and style of Demon's Souls.

-The fact that it's highly rated and has a strong following on this site.

-The unusal gameplay mechanics, leaving messages, spirt forms, players joining other games to help or kill them etc.

What I'm not sure about:

-The difficulty. How difficult is this game? Ninja Gaiden difficult, or much worse? I can get frustrated sometimes when gaming.

-Is it too hardcore for someone not that into RPG's?

Basically that's it.

What do you guys think? I'd like some opinions.

Around the Network

Get it. And tell your friend to get me one copy because I'm desperate for this game.

Well, my avatar speaks volume's about my Demon's Souls suggestion, but to me it's the best game this gen so far, and one of the best i've ever played.

I shall adress your negative points then ;)

1 - The game is very difficult at the start, since you'll have a very steep dificulty curve, learning about timings, dodges, blocks, parries, enemy patterns and such. Once you reach end game you'll be more confortable with the game, after dying tons of times and losing tons of souls (the game currency for everything, even leveling up)

Then you'll hit NG+ and you'll cry, because it sometimes makes even Ghouls and Goblins and Battletoads seem like child play xD

2 - It's very hardcore, and a big jump if you're not a RPG fan, since there are some heavy duty RPG mechanics involved, but the transition is not that hard since on it's core and in it's battle and exploration mechanics, it's played like an action game, so if you stick to that motion, you'll get the grip for the game ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Ooh yeah, buy it! Then when you're too frustrated to play it anymore, give it to me?!

lestatdark said:
Well, my avatar speaks volume's about my Demon's Souls suggestion, but to me it's the best game this gen so far, and one of the best i've ever played.

1 - The game is very difficult at the start, since you'll have a very steep dificulty curve, learning about timings, dodges, blocks, parries, enemy patterns and such. Once you reach end game you'll be more confortable with the game, after dying tons of times and losing tons of souls (the game currency for everything, even leveling up)

Then you'll hit NG+ and you'll cry, because it sometimes makes even Ghouls and Goblins and Battletoads seem like child play xD

2 - It's very hardcore, and a big jump if you're not a RPG fan, since there are some heavy duty RPG mechanics involved, but the transition is not that hard since on it's core and in it's battle and exploration mechanics, it's played like an action game, so if you stick to that motion, you'll get the grip for the game ;)

Thanks lestadark.

So it requires a steep initial learning curve then on to glorious rewards!

I'm also partly interested because of the very challenge it presents and because it will be so new and fresh to me. I'm getting slightly bored of shooters and such recently.

Also, it seems like a good RPG to begin with, quality wise, even if it is so damn tough.

Around the Network
Theo said:
Ooh yeah, buy it! Then when you're too frustrated to play it anymore, give it to me?!

You should getz it too! for teh online playz.

Dallinor said:
lestatdark said:

Thanks lestadark.

So it requires a steep initial learning curve then on to glorious rewards!

I'm also partly interested because of the very challenge it presents and because it will be so new and fresh to me. I'm getting slightly bored of shooters and such recently.

Also, it seems like a good RPG to begin with, quality wise, even if it is so damn tough.

You won't find a better RPG out there in the current market for them ;) Also, since you seem to be more of gamer that likes pacing in his games (sorry if i'm wrong here), you'll find the transition to Demon's Souls far much smoother than to any turn-based RPG.

The game does offer a high enough challenge, but it's so damn rewarding when you actually manage to progress further into the game. You'll start to feel like you're an almighty gamer XD Also, the online component is very good, with the possibility of aiding other players or even fighting them in PVP, it just adds to the huge replayability of the game ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I'm in the mood for a tough game, and an Rpg. MW2 and AC2 were good but far too easy. Borderlands was far too easy. Uncharted 2 was easy, but that game doesn't count, being easy or hard doesn't affect how insanely great it is.

I gave it over 40 hours of play time so far (soul lvl 45). I am stuck, I dont know what to do, I am lost with the story, I gave up. Very hard game

Maybe I picked the wrong character from the start, maybe I'll start over with a new class

Not sure what to tell you buy it or not. your call

@Cthulhu

Do you need any tips? Mind if I ask what class did you start out as? How did you spread your stats? What weapons do you use? Are you more of a melee or a ranged user? Do you use spells? What was your world progression?

At level 45, I had done completely both the Stonefang Tunnels and the Tower of Latria and was starting 4-2, with a purely melee character (started out as a Knight), no spells other than Soul Ray and used a bit of ranged attacks, since I had finished forging the Lava Bow at that time.

Current PC Build