By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - This could be Sony's PS3 WAND Motion Controller

theprof00 said:
specialops787 said:
Tridrakious said:
specialops787 said:
This dual analog stick design is pointless. They might as well just stick one of those balls to the front of a DS3 if thats what you want.

There is a reason that the Wii only has one analog stick. The IR pointer is the second analog stick. On the PS3 wand, the light ball is the second analog stick.

It's not really a second analog stick though. It's a tool to interact in the 3d space.

It is to be used as a second analog stick. For instance, the Wii's nunchuck analog corresponds to the 360's left analog stick, allowing for movement. The Wii's IR pointer (and WM+ now if they wanted to) corresponds to the 360's right analog stick, allowing you to look around.

except that the wiimote nunchuck does not allow you to manipulate things with both hands as motion control. This is basically holding 2 wiimotes.

Yeah, hving the analog sticks in addition to the motion control. You get access to so much more interaction wth the games 3d space.

Anyway. We've already seen the Playstation Motion Controller or Playstation Sphere and we won't be getting this.

Once Nintendo uses something like this. Then Sony will launch this idea, but not wanting to admit that they took someone else's ideas, they will say they've been working on the idea for 5 years. Before their competition.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

It should.. but I think they have the design pretty finalised..

i think they said its a prototype and its not the final version but meh watever :S

However, if they decided you were going to control their motion FPSes with dual analog sticks instead of a pointer (ie, standard halo controls as opposed to the conduit)...I think they would be missing the point.

On the other hand! I am now a fan of these controllers. IF THEY WERE KEPT SEPARATE, as in, no bridge in between (either completely wireless, or a cord like nunchuck) they would allow for some really awesome gameplay mechanics.

theprof00 said:
specialops787 said:
Tridrakious said:
specialops787 said:
This dual analog stick design is pointless. They might as well just stick one of those balls to the front of a DS3 if thats what you want.

There is a reason that the Wii only has one analog stick. The IR pointer is the second analog stick. On the PS3 wand, the light ball is the second analog stick.

It's not really a second analog stick though. It's a tool to interact in the 3d space.

It is to be used as a second analog stick. For instance, the Wii's nunchuck analog corresponds to the 360's left analog stick, allowing for movement. The Wii's IR pointer (and WM+ now if they wanted to) corresponds to the 360's right analog stick, allowing you to look around.

except that the wiimote nunchuck does not allow you to manipulate things with both hands as motion control. This is basically holding 2 wiimotes.

This design doesn't allow you to manipulate with both hands either. For some ridiculous reason they decided on this ridiculous bridge that actually ruins the idea of 2 handed motion control and turns it into a DS3 with 3D space detection.

specialops787 said:
However, if they decided you were going to control their motion FPSes with dual analog sticks instead of a pointer (ie, standard halo controls as opposed to the conduit)...I think they would be missing the point.

On the other hand! I am now a fan of these controllers. IF THEY WERE KEPT SEPARATE, as in, no bridge in between (either completely wireless, or a cord like nunchuck) they would allow for some really awesome gameplay mechanics.

I see the connector as a way to turn the 2 motion controllers into a standard controller. Like once they are connected the standard SixAxiS turns on or something.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:

Yeah, hving the analog sticks in addition to the motion control. You get access to so much more interaction wth the games 3d space.

Anyway. We've already seen the Playstation Motion Controller or Playstation Sphere and we won't be getting this.

Once Nintendo uses something like this. Then Sony will launch this idea, but not wanting to admit that they took someone else's ideas, they will say they've been working on the idea for 5 years. Before their competition.

Dude, you're missing the point.

The purpose for this mock-up is to REPLACE the dualshock or sixaxis.

Therefore, it must meet all functions or the regular controller as well. Regular controllers have dual analog.

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is some patent design floating around showing a connecting controller half that would plug into where the ball would be when removed. It's basically a wii mote and numchuck.

Anyway, it wouldn't make sense, really, for them to replace the dualshock, because they can make more money selling different peripherals that do different things.

specialops787 said:
theprof00 said:
specialops787 said:
Tridrakious said:
specialops787 said:

This design doesn't allow you to manipulate with both hands either. For some ridiculous reason they decided on this ridiculous bridge that actually ruins the idea of 2 handed motion control and turns it into a DS3 with 3D space detection.

That's what te SixAxiS is for.

theprof00 said:
Tridrakious said:

Dude, you're missing the point.

The purpose for this mock-up is to REPLACE the dualshock or sixaxis.

Therefore, it must meet all functions or the regular controller as well. Regular controllers have dual analog.

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is some patent design floating around showing a connecting controller half that would plug into where the ball would be when removed. It's basically a wii mote and numchuck.

Anyway, it wouldn't make sense, really, for them to replace the dualshock, because they can make more money selling different peripherals that do different things.

What am I missing? Sony isn't going to replace the DualShock 3. They have already been slammed when they thought about doing away with it. Remember?

specialops787 said:
theprof00 said:
specialops787 said:
Tridrakious said:
specialops787 said:

Yes it does, they are separate. Have you even watched any of the wand videos from e3 or from engineer's videos?

Tridrakious said:
specialops787 said:

I see the connector as a way to turn the 2 motion controllers into a standard controller. Like once they are connected the standard SixAxiS turns on or something.

Maybe. However, they would never need the sixaxis. I'm sure the sixaxis could be emulated with the pseye. That idea is a valid one, but would only make sense, really, if this design would be the PS4 controller and do away with the standard DS completely.