By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - This could be Sony's PS3 WAND Motion Controller

Tridrakious said:
theprof00 said:
Tridrakious said:

Yeah, hving the analog sticks in addition to the motion control. You get access to so much more interaction wth the games 3d space.

Anyway. We've already seen the Playstation Motion Controller or Playstation Sphere and we won't be getting this.

Once Nintendo uses something like this. Then Sony will launch this idea, but not wanting to admit that they took someone else's ideas, they will say they've been working on the idea for 5 years. Before their competition.

Dude, you're missing the point.

The purpose for this mock-up is to REPLACE the dualshock or sixaxis.

Therefore, it must meet all functions or the regular controller as well. Regular controllers have dual analog.

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is some patent design floating around showing a connecting controller half that would plug into where the ball would be when removed. It's basically a wii mote and numchuck.

Anyway, it wouldn't make sense, really, for them to replace the dualshock, because they can make more money selling different peripherals that do different things.

What am I missing? Sony isn't going to replace the DualShock 3. They have already been slammed when they thought about doing away with it. Remember?

I know what you're saying, but this guy, "Miguel" is testing ways that they could both replace the DS and also give MoCo. He's just messing around a little bit, although, I designed this exact controller, maybe 8-10 months ago.

People are slamming the thought of doing away with DS3 because people don't have any idea what would replace it. If you can propose some designs and actually have the public accept them, then you have achieved success, right? That's the whole point of this design.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Yes it does, they are separate. Have you even watched any of the wand videos from e3 or from engineer's videos?

(this isn't any controller seen at E3, its a concept, therefore we do not really know how it functions). 

OK OK. I'm starting to piece this together now. With this concept design, you can use one controller on its own (as in Wiimote only). Two controllers together, but not connected (As in Wiimote + Nunchuck), OR  two controllers connected  together, which would basically replace the DS3.

specialops787 said:
theprof00 said:
Yes it does, they are separate. Have you even watched any of the wand videos from e3 or from engineer's videos?

(this isn't any controller seen at E3, its a concept, therefore we do not really know how it functions). 

OK OK. I'm starting to piece this together now. With this concept design, you can use one controller on its own (as in Wiimote only). Two controllers together, but not connected (As in Wiimote + Nunchuck), OR  two controllers connected  together, which would basically replace the DS3.

yes!

It's feasible.... but who knows?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually a Sony design that they leaked out to test the market.

Definitely most useful of the versions I've seen so far. This would allow the controller to be more flexible and a better idea than holding the wand plus a DS3 controller.

While I still don't hold much promise in the motion systems MSony have for this gen, I think they could be finalized into really good tools as long as they are built-in in the next gen.

All I'm saying is. The majority of the hardcore gamer fanbase the PS3 has will not want to do away with the DualShock 3. It's the controller.

SixAxiS hasn't been used very much or very well. They could use the Playstation Eye to simulate the SixAxis, but not everyone has a Playstation Eye, unless they start bundling the PSEye with the system and improve the hardwares penetration on gamers homes.

This mock up design is an interesting one, but not a true replacement idea.

Around the Network

One bad thing about that design is it require a right and left version of the controller. It would be far better if they were neutral. If you don't understand what I'm saying, notice how they connect. They require usb ports on the inside, thus a left vs right design.

Most companies would strive for a single product that could do both halves.

theprof00 said:
specialops787 said:
theprof00 said:

yes!

It's feasible.... but who knows?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually a Sony design that they leaked out to test the market.

Yea, so...this is a genius design.

If it existed I think it should be sold as a set, instead of buying each piece separately like Wii. Also, reduce the size of that ridiculous ball. Geez.

To start a new topic, are those speakers towards the front of the controller?

superchunk said:
One bad thing about that design is it require a right and left version of the controller. It would be far better if they were neutral. If you don't understand what I'm saying, notice how they connect. They require usb ports on the inside, thus a left vs right design.

yes, but then, also, which do you get rid of: Dpad arrows? or the famous circle,square,triangle,x?

@tridakous

Sure, I agree. Keep both in production, but allow users who bought motion controllers to play regular games using the same controller. After all, A wii mote can be used as a regular controller too.

Not having a means to play a normal game would seem sub-standard.

superchunk said:

Well this is a mock up. Not even a design that Sony is working on.

I will say that I wasn't thinking about a left handed approach to this idea, but then again the industry never really thinks about it either. Right handed dominance has been here for awhile.

theprof00 said:
superchunk said:

yes, but then, also, which do you get rid of: Dpad arrows? or the famous circle,square,triangle,x?

@tridakous

Sure, I agree. Keep both in production, but allow users who bought motion controllers to play regular games using the same controller. After all, A wii mote can be used as a regular controller too.

Not having a means to play a normal game would seem sub-standard.

I figured if you really wanted a neutral controller you could have removable nodes like Benheck has done of some of his one-handed controllers.

However, if you sell the 3 pieces as a set, it doesn't really matter. But I guess if you were to lose a left or right piece...maybe removable nodes are a good idea.