By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 will almost certainly beat 360 Part 2

As predicted two months ago, PS3 continues to outsell Xbox 360 worldwide every single week, and the gap is widening: This week PS3 outsold 360 by almost 300,000 units. In the United States alone Microsoft sold 150,000 units less than Sony during the Black Friday week, in Europe/AU it was 100,000 less. I think it is safe to assume that this trend will continue during the X-mas period. Apparently consumers feel that they are getting the better value for their money with PS3 (free online gaming, Blu Ray, better durability).

With several of Sony's heavy hitters (God of War 3, GT5) coming up, it doesn't seem likely that Microsoft will be able to reverse this trend any time soon.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

It will most certainly do it...in Others.

CGI-Quality said:
This year's numbers will just cancel out what Microsoft accomplished last year, putting the gap back to 5.5mill WW. Sony needs more than that to make significant headroom.

I wager the gap being smaller than 5.5M by January. Closer to 5.

Next year, by the time "Natal/Cut" or whatever MS will do hits, could we see 4 Million gap?

I have to say I agree. Sales are looking very good and I think it will continue.

I think you need to rember, MS wont sit around for long and let this happen....until then though

LOL like my art work on this matter?

Around the Network

I personally think you can forget about it this generation, Xbox 360 and PS3's battle will end up with a draw... but what Sony did recently is save the PS3 from doom, and open the way for a winner in the next generation. Already, choosing a less complicated architecture for the PS4 was a good move, so I think they're in a good position to win the next war.

Sony has been pretty much hectic in the past few years, with many of their consumer products, but they seem to be getting back in the game overall.

360 is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!111!!!1111!!

I love saying that.

OT: Judging by the history of this generation, by this time next year the 360 will be outselling the PS3 comfortably. Basically there is no historical precedent to support your FUD. You should clearly check all available information, and not cherry pick 2 months of data and generalize it out to the rest of the generation. This is bad math, bad statistics, and smacks of fanboyism (in this case, manipulating numbers to make the end result fulfill your wishes)

Will the 360 be the first console to go from first to last place in a single generation?

according to wikipedia numbers the gap is already ~5 million were did you get your 7 gap one?

CommonMan said:
360 is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!111!!!1111!!

I love saying that.

OT: Judging by the history of this generation, by this time next year the 360 will be outselling the PS3 comfortably. Basically there is no historical precedent to support your FUD. You should clearly check all available information, and not cherry pick 2 months of data and generalize it out to the rest of the generation. This is bad math, bad statistics, and smacks of fanboyism (in this case, manipulating numbers to make the end result fulfill your wishes)

LOL

Yeah as if historical precedent could have EVER predicted that Nintendo would be 1st and Sony 3rd!!!

No statistical model can predict what's going to happen. Short term extrapolation is all that works, and that's pretty much what he's doing.