By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 will almost certainly beat 360 Part 2

I dunno about beating the 360. I see either close behind or an outright draw. I do, however, see the PS4 being boss.

<insert awesome signature here>

Around the Network

Even if the PS3 will finally outsell the 360 in the near or not so near future. I can't see that as a big accomplishment by Sony, because it took the Wii only nine month to outsell the 360 on a world wide basis.

Dr.Grass said:
CommonMan said:
360 is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!111!!!1111!!

I love saying that.

OT: Judging by the history of this generation, by this time next year the 360 will be outselling the PS3 comfortably. Basically there is no historical precedent to support your FUD. You should clearly check all available information, and not cherry pick 2 months of data and generalize it out to the rest of the generation. This is bad math, bad statistics, and smacks of fanboyism (in this case, manipulating numbers to make the end result fulfill your wishes)

LOL

Yeah as if historical precedent could have EVER predicted that Nintendo would be 1st and Sony 3rd!!!

No statistical model can predict what's going to happen. Short term extrapolation is all that works, and that's pretty much what he's doing.

Quite right. And this isn't FUD either; the FUD marketing strategy is used to tarnish a previously positve image- that doesn't apply here. ;)

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Steroid said:
Will the 360 be the first console to go from first to last place in a single generation?

It already happened before the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive was in first place for a while before the SNES surpassed it.  Hell even the Dreacast was in first place for a couple of month and the Sautn for a couple of weeks.

No PS3 will not defeat the Xbox 360.
maybe it will happen in end of 2012 but that will be when the world ends.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Steroid said:
Will the 360 be the first console to go from first to last place in a single generation?

It already happened before the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive was in first place for a while before the SNES surpassed it.  Hell even the Dreacast was in first place for a couple of month and the Sautn for a couple of weeks.

Mega Drive/Genesis didn't end up in the last place, though. There were other consoles like PC Engine at the time that sold less.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

gustave154 said:
No PS3 will not defeat the Xbox 360.
maybe it will happen in end of 2012 but that will be when the world ends.

i lol'ed 

Dr.Grass said:
CommonMan said:
360 is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!111!!!1111!!

I love saying that.

OT: Judging by the history of this generation, by this time next year the 360 will be outselling the PS3 comfortably. Basically there is no historical precedent to support your FUD. You should clearly check all available information, and not cherry pick 2 months of data and generalize it out to the rest of the generation. This is bad math, bad statistics, and smacks of fanboyism (in this case, manipulating numbers to make the end result fulfill your wishes)

LOL

Yeah as if historical precedent could have EVER predicted that Nintendo would be 1st and Sony 3rd!!!

No statistical model can predict what's going to happen. Short term extrapolation is all that works, and that's pretty much what he's doing.

Hmm. . . we're going to have to agree to disagree here. In my opinion short term extrapolation is a good way to cook the books (like Enron: hey we made 1,000,000 yesterday, therefore we'll make 3.65 billion this year), but if you want good long-term extrapolation you need long-term data.

Again, Genesis didn't end up in the last place. Remember, Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Things will continue as they are until Q4 2010, down to 4 million. I think it will almost certainly beat the 360 BUT maybe not until the next gen has started. So it would be irrelevant.