By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales Japan 12/3 (NSMBWii, PSP2 and Gundam vs Gundam Next)

I cant believe some people think that NSMB underperformed, it will sell around 800k in the first week thats more than most games would sell lifetime in that region. I think Wii hate is making some people look silly

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
jarrod said:
Funny enough, Pokemon actually sort of shatters the idea that RPGs will always be frontloaded. The most successful RPGs actually seem to NOT be as frontloaded (Pokemon, Monster Hunter and now even Dragon Quest).

Actually, Dragon Quest is generally frontloaded. Sure, it has some legs right now, but they aren't very noteworthy. Same for Monster Hunter. The legs are there, but they aren't strong enough to say the games aren't frontloaded ... Atleast I don't think so.

Pokémon is another story, though.

DQIX is looking like it's going to double it's 1st week sales... that's actually something of a change for the series, and likely reflects on the game's core change in design and marketing.

MoHun is also anything but frontloaded. On PSP the games only did 15-30% 1st week (that's basically Pokemon level), and even on Wii it's looking like it'll be around 50% 1st week.  

Neither really comes close to "frontloaded" imo, that'd be more along the lines of Final Fantasy when tends to do 75% it's total sales 1st week.

jarrod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
jarrod said:
Funny enough, Pokemon actually sort of shatters the idea that RPGs will always be frontloaded. The most successful RPGs actually seem to NOT be as frontloaded (Pokemon, Monster Hunter and now even Dragon Quest).

Actually, Dragon Quest is generally frontloaded. Sure, it has some legs right now, but they aren't very noteworthy. Same for Monster Hunter. The legs are there, but they aren't strong enough to say the games aren't frontloaded ... Atleast I don't think so.

DQIX is looking like it's going to double it's 1st week sales... that's actually something of a change for the series, and likely reflects on the game's core change in design and marketing.

MoHun is also anything but frontloaded. On PSP the games only did 15-30% 1st week (that's basically Pokemon level), and even on Wii it's looking like it'll be around 50% 1st week.  

Neither really comes close to "frontloaded" imo, that'd be more along the lines of Final Fantasy when tends to do 75% it's total sales 1st week.

Sorry, I was just thinking of Monster Hunter 3 and completely forgot the PSP games for some reason. You're absolutely right about Monster Hunter, I apologize.

However, I stand by Dragon Quest being heavily frontloaded, even though DQ9 may be less so than previous iterations.

outlawauron said:
Wow, Gundam vs. Gundam and PSP2 completely shattered Famitsu's expectations.

lets hope "THAT GAME" follows

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
outlawauron said:

Yeah, I also hope Tales of Graces follows.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
outlawauron said:

TBH

Tales of Graces & "THAT" game both have to follow this trend of "smashing expectations" as their prediction by famitsu are god damn terrible

darthdevidem01 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
outlawauron said:

TBH

Tales of Graces & "THAT" game both have to follow this trend of "smashing expectations" as their prediction by famitsu are god damn terrible

Hopefully. I really want to see Tales of Graces do great, and as a former diehard FF-fan(don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan, just not diehard) it'd be kind of sad to see FF13 disappoint.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
outlawauron said:

TBH

Hopefully. I really want to see Tales of Graces do great, and as a former diehard FF-fan(don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan, just not diehard) it'd be kind of sad to see FF13 disappoint.

I agree

I would like Tales Of Graces to ideally do what Tales Of Vesperia did (PS360) combined

they are my high end expectations for it

for FF13 I would love to see it reach FF10 or FF12 level sales

but the famitsu expectations destroyed my hopes on that

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
jarrod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
jarrod said:

Sorry, I was just thinking of Monster Hunter 3 and completely forgot the PSP games for some reason. You're absolutely right about Monster Hunter, I apologize.

However, I stand by Dragon Quest being heavily frontloaded, even though DQ9 may be less so than previous iterations.

Yeah, DQ used to be much more frontloaded (DQVIII was like 65% 1st week iirc), but with all the changes in DQIX (marketing, dlc, social aspects, etc), I think that's actually changed the series sales patterns to a more "leggy" game.  I mean, it's still ranking in the top 20-30 every week... that's not something that "frontloaded" games do.

jarrod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
jarrod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
jarrod said:

Yeah, DQ used to be much more frontloaded (DQVIII was like 65% 1st week iirc), but with all the changes in DQIX (marketing, dlc, social aspects, etc), I think that's actually changed the series sales patterns to a more "leggy" game.  I mean, it's still ranking in the top 20-30 every week... that's not something that "frontloaded" games do.

I'll give you less frontloaded than before. But I still maintain that it is heavily frontloaded.