By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo's Efforts to Entice Third Parties Worked Against It?

WereKitten said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I'm not being insulting, the idea that they need the tech to deliver the experience is disproven over and over, not just in video games, but in other media, games didn't suddenly become good this gen after having sucked for decades, the fact that they feel they need the tech, just shows that one they are unable to deliver an engaging experience without it, or that they are too obsessed with graphics.

I don't feel it is some conspiracy against the Wii, I'm talking about the mindset in the industry that is the problem the mindset that games must have HD graphics, and must have all these unnecessary bells and whistles or it sucks.

Depending on what you want to do, the tech is very much needed. Physics made HL2 what it is. The PS2 was barely able to support Shadow of the Colossus and could not have been done on a PS1. The Uncharted 2 experience is delivered thanks to the tech used, and probably the same will be true of Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

The fact that you might like or not those games, or that other kinds of games might sell more is beyond the point. What those developers wanted met what they could thanks to the tech, and they were able to deliver an experience.

You're basically saying that every developer should want to do other things - or they're "graphic whores" which I think is quite derogatory, but that's not how it works.

Umm, you could have still made the games, and made them excellent with different styles of animation, different engines, so the idea that you had to make them that way is false

Like, say, CGI over hand drawn animation. Oh, wait..

CGI isn't what makes the Pixar movies great, the stories and characters do, the CGI is just eye candy, Fantasia was hand drawn, and its considered one of the greatest pieces of animation ever

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Can't you ever admit that there is people who might think that there's something else relevant and interesting in gaming than what you personally like, or even than what is the more mainstream sentiment?"

Being in HD somehow makes it more interesting or relevant? Bigger, yes, but also more expensive. That's not art. That's a need to make art flashy.

And where exactly did I say that they are more interesting or relevant because they are in HD? The right context:

steverhcp02 said:

But i do think there is really a large chunk of stdios and devs that simply aim to make games like bioshock, uncharted, gears of war, alan wake, heavy rain etc. that really just have a huge passion for the art of what they do and the things that make those games great just simply arent possible on the wii technologically, not a knock.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Except those games aren't the greatest ever, not by a longshot, so the argument that they are passionate about the art doesn't really hold, now if you say they are graphics whores, who need the crutch of HD then you have an argument

So basically, Avinash is saying that since he thinks those games are not "the greatest ever", it means that the authors are not passionate about their job and are just "graphic whores". My quotation meant that those developers might have different ideas about what is relevant and interesting, and insinuating that they are faking their pasion is insulting. As for judging if the technology - and nowhere I'm talking about HD only - was useful or even necessary to deliver their vision, that's for the users and critics to judge by means of playing and examining the finished game. For most of the games indicated by steverhcp02 - not all of which I actually like - I'd say that yes, the technology was needed to deliver the experience.

BTW, being dismissal about all visual technology as if it was needless orpels is a silly generalization for a medium that is first of all visual. When used by talented people graphics are able to convey storytelling, to suggest a mood, to communicate. When Kubrik adapted special lenses for naturalistic candle lighting in Barry Lyndon, when he absolutely wanted 2001 shot in an extra-wide aspect ratio, when he used the newfangled steadycam to chase actors in Shining, was he being a "graphics whore"? I'd say he was simply a craftsman that was not afraid of being very picky with technology because he knew what he wanted.

No that's not what I meant, what I meant was the idea that they needed the tech to be artistic is belied by the fact that those games aren't art, they're just decent games, you could have made those games in other animation styles with less power and gotten the same feel, the tech wasn't needed to make them what they were.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

^And again you miss the point that the developers being passionate about their work and believing they're contributing to a piece of art is totally independent from your evaluation about what is art or what is a good game.

Please note that when I talked about Kubrik I called him a craftsman, not an artist, even though I certainly think he was an extremely talented artist. Exactly because what is art is not the point here. What the author wants or thinks is needed is.

And no, SOTC wouldn't be possible on PS1 - as in it wouldn't be the same game even if you were to try and reduce it to that tech. Just like 2001 is a different movie if you watch it in a proper theater or on an iPhone screen: the way it is delivered can only be altered so much from what the author intended originally before you can't even call it the same message or experience.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

hanafuda said:
'I'm not being insulting, the idea that they need the tech to deliver the experience is disproven over and over, not just in video games, but in other media.'.

Like, say, CGI over hand drawn animation. Oh, wait..

This actually proves the point more than disproves it. I believe that CGI animation is a fad in part, and that "hand-drawn" (which is fallatious to say because all animation styles have been done with computers pretty much since the millenium) is going to restore itself to prominence sometime in the future. Animation studios are just too caught up in trying to imitate the big Pixar titles, just as they have been ever since Toy Story came out

The Princess and the Frog should hopefully open some eyes. If the movie itself is any good, at least.

And i kinda understand where this thread  is going. It would be highly embarassing for execs from companies like, say, Capcom, EA, or Square Enix to come out and say "all that money we spent on developing HD Tool-sets was a waste!" It would cause investors' heads to roll if they admitted that, and went back to using PS2-era graphical techniques when they had just spent a lot of money to gear up for HD. That is why you see companies like Square Enix kinda squirming and talking about a "Wii HD" so that they can see the existing problem resolved.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The 3rd party support for the Wii has certainly been interesting. I don't think many people would have predicted that before this gen started, that if Nintendo went on to dominate they would receive less traditional 3rd party support than they did on the Gamecube. For the first few years I assumed 3rd parties would start releasing their big games on the Wii at some point, but that is looking unlikely now. Although, for Japan centric games the support does seem to have increased a bit. I think the success of the Wii, is now more likely to help Nintendo's 3rd party support next generation, if the Wii's successor has capabilities closer to the competition.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
^And again you miss the point that the developers being passionate about their work and believing they're contributing to a piece of art is totally independent from your evaluation about what is art or what is a good game.

Please note that when I talked about Kubrik I called him a craftsman, not an artist, even though I certainly think he was an extremely talented artist. Exactly because what is art is not the point here. What the author wants or thinks is needed is.

And no, SOTC wouldn't be possible on PS1 - as in it wouldn't be the same game even if you were to try and reduce it to that tech. Just like 2001 is a different movie if you watch it in a proper theater or on an iPhone screen: the way it is delivered can only be altered so much from what the author intended originally before you can't even call it the same message or experience.

No what they are doing is creating ego strokes, games that let them pretend they're a gaming god.  Its not about passion, its about ego.

I've seen 2001 on quite a few different size screens, even movie sized, its the same movie, regardless, the core parts, the story and the characters don't change regardless of the tech

'CGI isn't what makes the Pixar movies great, the stories and characters do, the CGI is just eye candy, Fantasia was hand drawn, and its considered one of the greatest pieces of animation ever.'.

Only Fantasia was made decades ago. Where is the 2009 equivalent?

Take the opening action sequence in Bolt. That was great because of the tech, not the story. The characters to a certain extent. I've never seen a hand drawn sequence do better than that.

Anyhow, the tech is just one piece of the jigsaw, which you point out. Kind of destroying your own argument at the same time.

PSN - hanafuda

'I've seen 2001 on quite a few different size screens, even movie sized, its the same movie, regardless, the core parts, the story and the characters don't change regardless of the tech.'.

I saw 2001 in 80mm in London a few years back. Let me assure you, nothing else comes close.

PSN - hanafuda

^No I disagree, the opening sequences in Bolt would have been pretty much the same hand drawn. Actually what I pointed out, was that its eye candy, CGI is still at that stage where its seen as being able to wow, kind of like how it was with gaming when it first made the jump to 3D, now however 3D is kind of gotten to the point where its so boring that we are happy to see 2D gaming coming back.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

No what they are doing is creating ego strokes, games that let them pretend they're a gaming god.  Its not about passion, its about ego.

I've seen 2001 on quite a few different size screens, even movie sized, its the same movie, regardless, the core parts, the story and the characters don't change regardless of the tech

Here we ara again, generalizing and insulting people you don't know and of which, I suspect, you have scarce familiarity with the work of.

Plus, if you really think that the core of 2001 is only in its "story and characters", then I don't think there's anything useful that might come from us two further discussing about movies, games and visual media. I'll just politely suggest that you might be in the minority on this subject, and that it reeks of an ideological stance against the value of visual communication rather than a substantiated one.

I'll leave it at that as I think my points were clear for any reader and I don't want to push the thread further offtrack.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman