By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo SELLS 550K Wii & 1 Million DS during BF Week!!!!

noname2200 said:

Actually, I'd take Nintendo's word as gospel.

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/073/073628p1.html

Nintendo today announced the opening of siras.com, a new company subsidiary dedicated to helping retailers and manufactures face common problems associated with fraudulent returns, product tracking and inventory management... Electronic registration tracks a product's serial number at the point of sale...

In other words, assuming they kept the system up, they should have real-time tracking of all their retail sales.

Oh right, right.

I had nearly forgotten about that crazy shit!

...Man, the DS is a monster.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Nintendo probably got this data from NPD ye know people

They don't have to: like Microsoft and Sony, they have their own internal data. In fact, the article you linked to says this info comes from their "internal tracking numbers."

See also: the link I provided earlier.

Here is what I found

-- Wal-Mart had sold out of Wii consoles while it had PS3 and Xbox 360 units.
-- Target had plenty of consoles of all stripes.
-- The PS3 bundles led to a lot of sales at Gamestop while the Xbox 360s sat on the shelf.

While everyone is pointing to the new Wii price, remember that the PS3 also did a bunch of bundling.

Of course, it does not take much to know that finally getting an acceptable price point has helped the PS3 sales. Meanwhile, the other systems are having more difficult times than in the past because they have sold better previously.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

noname2200 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

They don't have to: like Microsoft and Sony, they have their own internal data. In fact, the article you linked to says this info comes from their "internal tracking numbers."

umm kay

so Nintendo's numbers are 100% accurate due to that siras.com thingy?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I'll be happy as long as Wii breaks a million this week WW, which seems likely

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Well actually, for the most part, internal tracking of that of companies is not actually them tracking it. I know this is a common misconception, but usually they get their numbers from outside sources. Remember, if they had a way of tracking numbers internally, then they would subscribe to things like NPD, Chart Track, GFK, etc. Meaning, more than likely, this is either some estimates they are using with help from NPD numbers, or just complete early estimates from that of NPD all together. Was the same thing last year when Ninty, MS, and Sony all released their numbers.

Now as for sales, this would putt Wii at about 650k-700k on the week with a 10% margin so our early estimates are within a good range and really not that far off at all. Don't understand the freak out. Same for the DS numbers as well. Why people are bringing up PS3 in this situation is silly as that doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. But considering our numbers are about the same as Ninty estimates/NPD estimates then really I don't see how that would affect PS3 estimates or any other console.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
I'll be happy as long as Wii breaks a million this week WW, which seems likely

Same here. 

darthdevidem01 said:
Carl2291 said:
This thread needs the boss.

If we see PS3 = Wii on BF... Holy shit.

thats IMPOSSIBLE

why not... I think it could be funny

SuperAdrianK said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Carl2291 said:
This thread needs the boss.

If we see PS3 = Wii on BF... Holy shit.

thats IMPOSSIBLE

why not... I think it could be funny

Agressive bundling really helped Sony, but I doubt PS3 = Wii at all.

darthdevidem01 said:
noname2200 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

umm kay

so Nintendo's numbers are 100% accurate due to that siras.com thingy?

To be honest, I'm not 100% certain, but the way they presented siras makes me think that that's probably true. It'd certainly be the most accurate source available.

Zucas said:
Well actually, for the most part, internal tracking of that of companies is not actually them tracking it. I know this is a common misconception, but usually they get their numbers from outside sources. Remember, if they had a way of tracking numbers internally, then they would subscribe to things like NPD, Chart Track, GFK, etc. Meaning, more than likely, this is either some estimates they are using with help from NPD numbers, or just complete early estimates from that of NPD all together. Was the same thing last year when Ninty, MS, and Sony all released their numbers.

You're correct that that's the case with most companies, but many large companies have their own, truly internal, tracking systems. It helps to resolve disputes with retailers, for starters, and it's useful to have more precise data on how your own merchandise is moving.

They DO subscribe to the services you've alluded to, but that's primarily to get an idea on how the competition is doing. It's also handy to cite to those sources (rather than your own), since this IS valuable data (so why just give it away?). Nevertheless, Nintendo in particular has released its internal figures on occasion, for reasons that I've never been able to completely fathom.