By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows 7 Usage Passes All Versions of Mac OS X

kowenicki said:
@stekstav

Im talking this year... and Im not just talking US.... there is a big wide wold out there you know.

And revenue of hardware is meaningless in this discussion about install base of opperating systems.... apple hardware costs more.

nice try though.

Your point that revenue share isn't install base is valid, but surely Apple's position as the largest PC manufacturer in the US by revenue share isn't a bad thing.

Okay, so where is your evidence that Mac marketshare is shrinking? I see record Apple revenues and profits (Apple gives most credit to growing overseas Mac sales) and I see this table, neither of which supports your assertion:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

Month   Windows   Mac   Linux   iPhone   Java ME   Symbian   Other 
 December, 2008   93.90%   4.45%   0.98%   0.18%   0.00%   0.01%   0.48% 
 January, 2009   93.66%   4.71%   0.90%   0.20%   0.22%   0.07%   0.24% 
 February, 2009   93.74%   4.55%   0.98%   0.19%   0.23%   0.08%   0.23% 
 March, 2009   93.51%   4.69%   1.01%   0.20%   0.23%   0.11%   0.25% 
 April, 2009   93.45%   4.64%   1.06%   0.22%   0.25%   0.11%   0.28% 
 May, 2009   93.18%   4.73%   1.17%   0.25%   0.25%   0.12%   0.30% 
 June, 2009   93.39%   4.70%   1.00%   0.27%   0.25%   0.12%   0.27% 
 July, 2009   93.04%   4.86%   1.05%   0.30%   0.29%   0.14%   0.31% 
 August, 2009   93.06%   4.87%   0.94%   0.33%   0.31%   0.14%   0.36% 
 September, 2009   92.77%   5.12%   0.95%   0.35%   0.30%   0.15%   0.36% 
 October, 2009   92.52%   5.27%   0.96%   0.37%   0.35%   0.17% 

0.35% 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Damn good posting crazymann. Very fair and open minded. Lets all just agree to disagree. Windows 7 and OSX are fine operating systems and we are all entitled to use whatever we like. Lets stop the trolling

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

AngelFire18 said:
windows will never be as good as mac.

I'm using win7 and it's a great OS. Mac OSX might be amazing, but I refuse to pay $1100.00 plus tax just to try it out, and that is why Mac will never be as good as windows.

kowenicki said:
@stekstav

Im talking this year... and Im not just talking US.... there is a big wide wold out there you know.

And revenue of hardware is meaningless in this discussion about install base of opperating systems.... apple hardware costs more.

nice try though.

If you read the link you'd see that the marketshare has gone up World Wide.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/mac-market-share.ars

There was a 2 part info im my post. So i'd like to see what recent info you're refering to? I can't find anything regarding market shares droping? Im not trying to start something, its a genuine question.

NJ5 said:
STEKSTAV I searched for that second graph, look at the cautionary quotes regarding those numbers:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/25/apple-records-nearly-half-of-u-s-pc-desktop-retail-industry-revenue/

While NPD's Stephen Baker points to a confluence of events, including Apple's refresh of its iMac line during the month and a decline of PC sales ahead of the launch of Windows 7, as being responsible for Apple's performance during the month, he also notes that the trend is not likely to continue.

NPD notes that Apple's strong revenue performance is a direct result of its average selling prices, which are nearly three times that of Windows PCs.

Yes.. they sell at a higher price = more money? Nothing bad to that i guess if market shares are still in an upward trend? And Windows 7 helped out during that month. Great.

But if you read the entire article, you also saw

"[...]he also notes that the trend is not likely to continue. Data from previous months, however, shows that Apple had been performing quite well even back in April of this year, when it captured 45% of the desktop retail revenue."

Which means that Win7 helped them gain 48%. but they were at 45% in April, where the Win7 effect wasn't a factor.

Im not trying to start something.. no need in trying to turn this into a quotation war in proving me "wrong"?

Around the Network

I really love Windows 7. Smooth and runs fast.

kowenicki said:
@famous ringo...

well if windows 7 has gone past mac in the last 8 weeks... I think you might see a change there pretty soon. has to. its logic.

No, that's not logic. It's an assumption that people who are buying Win 7 are buying it to replace Mac OS X, when current trends suggest they are buying it to replace XP. Those numbers have already tracked 2% of marketshare as being Win7, but it hasn't done anything to slow down Mac OS X usage growth. The only OS which has shown notable usage decline is XP:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=11

You might be right, but you have presented no evidence. And your logic fails to account for the possibility that both Win7 and Mac OS X are eating up the existing XP install base which still dominates 70% of worldwide usage.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

kowenicki said:
@famous ringo...

well if windows 7 has gone past mac in the last 8 weeks... I think you might see a change there pretty soon. has to. its logic.

I was gonna make a point about how that's in fact not logic at all, but famousringo beat me to it. :p

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

What Apple needs to change:
-Their prices. Their hardware is no different than 'PC' especially now that they're using Intel. At least cut it down to 2x as expensive instead of 3x.
-Their elitist, closed, platform. We've all read the iPhone stories. OSX would be selling a lot better if it would run on non-Mac PCs (yes, Macs are PCs too "PERSONAL COMPUTER.") Of course if they did allow OSX to run on PC they would fail because they wouldn't be making money on insanely overpriced hardware.
-Their commercials that are full of lies. I've never had a problem with my MS OS. Crashes do not happen every 5 seconds on a windows box. My win7 can do multimedia and office tasks straight out of the box. Last time I checked OSX doesn't come with Adobe Photoshop Pro, if it did maybe it would be worth getting a Mac. Finally Mac cannot hide behind "Security by obscurity." Mac viruses are popping up all over the place, safari/macs are routinely the first browser to be hacked in security conferences.

What MS needs to change:
-Somehow reduce "monopolistic practices." Damn you MS for offering free software pre-installed on your operating system.
-Sell copies of Win7 that come with a lightweight version of VMware so Mac users who don't already dual boot can figure out how to, easily. Advertise this product as "Windows for Mac."
-Offer free windows virus protection that is as good as the top dogs. This would of course have to be a free download and not come pre-installed because this would be considered a "monopolistic practice."

What MS, Apple, and others need to change:
-Stop charging an arm and a leg for your software. I don't ever want to pay more than $100 for a piece of software.

NJ5 said:
Is it safe to say that all the people in this forum who prefer Mac are console-only gamers? :P

If so, then I'm an exception. I prefer Mac and I use my Windows laptop only for gaming, my iMac for anything else - even for a few great games, such as Civ4, Warcraft 3, Auditorium, Braid, Machinarium, Plants vs. Zombies, point&click classics via ScummVM.

(Somewhat) OT: Best and most subtle OS upgrade naming/packaging ever: