By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happened to Wii motion + ?

unless 6.8 million units isnt good i dno watcha saying?? wii sports resort sold that much and it comes with wii motion + soo watever ur saying isnt true... :P

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
Anyone who doesn't follow as closely as you and only looks at major events might feel it is a response as such. Malstrom is no Sony fanboy which is where my perception was solidified. As i stated before his words are given much attention by Nintendo fans.

I didn't call them liars. I said that an interview after the reveal is irrelevant as any company isn't going to say oh yeah we are doing it cause they are trying to take over our turf. It's the way P.R. works. Just like Microsoft is spouting a lot of Nintendo's old rhetoric and trying to casualify their image. But they would never say that it's because of Nintendo beating them.

I asked for proof before the event. Everything else was your assumption. I was asking for a valid information and an interview after the reveal would not have been helpful because of above reason. Thank you for providing it.

P.S. even if i was a Sony fanboy which is only halfway right I still don't see why you couldn't have been mature enough to simply answer the question without resorting to name calling and patronizing. It makes you seem less mature than you might want others to believe. Assuming things only makes an ass of u and me.

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/wiimotionplus/vol1_page1.jsp

This explains some history behind it.  But you won't get actual revelaing information before the official reveal considering Nintedo doesn't leak infomation before an announcement.  But you can find pieces such as their intent to put motion tech into the GC, their intent to use gyroscopes (which is what WM+ uses where as the Wii remote uses an accelerometer), the launch of InveSense IDG-600 series in late 2006 (they point out the use of video game controlers as their target) and more. 

The asumption paradox is correct but we're both guilty of it.  But you must also consider that even Maelstrom himself was just assuming.  Did he provide any evidence to support his claim? 

Very true. Disruption being the one thing he seems to thoroughly understand i did simply assume he was right.

Thanks for the article!

Nothing has happened to WM+ -- other than regular development cycles taking time.

Software companies -- particularly third-parties -- want to make sure there are enough peripherals out there before fully developing software that uses the device.

Those who are betting on other devices on other consoles need to take note of this -- especially since other companies do not have the same software development capacity as Nintendo.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I've always thought Sony and Microsoft have an 'upper hand' in some ways on this front, because they've got PSN and XBLA. Thus companies can experiment with the motion controller userbases with lower-budget downloadable games to start, and work from there. The nature of those games seems to better suit the device too.

No matter how good WM+ sells it always seemingly raises the question, why bother? It narrows your market to 10% the size. I know you can support WM+ and not make it an exclusive feature, but theres something about that which'll still put off any ignorant consumer.

mike_intellivision said:
Nothing has happened to WM+ -- other than regular development cycles taking time.

Software companies -- particularly third-parties -- want to make sure there are enough peripherals out there before fully developing software that uses the device.

Those who are betting on other devices on other consoles need to take note of this -- especially since other companies do not have the same software development capacity as Nintendo.

Mike from Morgantown

Yeah, but i think its time developers show up some Motion Plus projects.

Some GOOD ones.

The peripheral is up to some balance board degree of sucsses. And is smaller and cheaper and much more versatility

Im dying to see some new Wii Motion Plus games. And i really really hope that Red Steel 2 sells 8 thousand bazillion copies.

These 3rd parties better not make me buy a Xbox with Natal. I really dont want a xbox.

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:
I've always thought Sony and Microsoft have an 'upper hand' in some ways on this front, because they've got PSN and XBLA. Thus companies can experiment with the motion controller userbases with lower-budget downloadable games to start, and work from there. The nature of those games seems to better suit the device too.

No matter how good WM+ sells it always seemingly raises the question, why bother? It narrows your market to 10% the size. I know you can support WM+ and not make it an exclusive feature, but theres something about that which'll still put off any ignorant consumer.

These arguments seem at odds imo.  You talk about M+ narrowing userbase and thus discouraging support, after just talking about PSN/XBLA being attractive routes for experimentation (ie: a further narrowed userbase of an already narrowed userbase)?  

Mind you Sony actually seems to be going this route (all but 1 of the officially announced PSmote games are PSN), but given their track record this gen, that may be a damning argument itself.  Microsoft at least seems to be going full tilt for retail with Natal.

jarrod said:
jammy2211 said:

These arguments seem at odds imo.  You talk about M+ narrowing userbase and thus discouraging support, after just talking about PSN/XBLA being attractive routes for experimentation (ie: a further narrowed userbase of an already narrowed userbase)?  

Mind you Sony actually seems to be going this route (all but 1 of the officially announced PSmote games are PSN), but given their track record this gen, that may be a damning argument itself.  Microsoft at least seems to be going full tilt for retail with Natal.

We've already seen quite a few Eye exclusive games on PSN, which I guess is where I got the idea in my head lol. Developing a game for PSN or XBLA is a really low-budget method to test the userbase; I still don't fully 'get' Sony's plan with the Wand yet so I'm really just flirting with ideas of how the things ever going to sell. I think I'm more just saying the downloadable stations actually give developers a route to try make games for the wands, instead of making a full price game and risking a huge bomb.

I guess companies could try this with Wii Ware too, I'm not familiar with it's technical limitations and whatnot (The games are 64MB max?) but from the most the games I see on there it doesn't seem as practical, I can't honestly name 5 WiiWare games (I own a Wii) but I can name 10+ XBLA games (And I don't own a 360 lol) 0_o.

I'm still really not sure how Sony are going to treat the things anyway, could just be another Eye Toy all over. No third party makes a PS3 exclusive nowadays so there's no chance these thigns are going to get much support in terms of full retail releases - unless it's suitable games with motion 'support' (i.e. Command and Conquer, PS3 Tennis games etc).

maykissthebride said:

It is not 1-on-1 

You have to do your best to hit the ball as a real player, without the visual feedback.

The "spin your racquet and it will show up in real time" was a ridiculous PR talk. It dosent work.

The game is not fun (and the announcer sucks)

"Ghame phoint nhow"

I guess we just have different tastes. I'll grant that it's not really 1:1, but I found the game fun, and that Motion+ added a lot to the experience. I'd lump it in with the successes.

The problem is, where WOUDL you see press on this type of thing? Some games will use it, some won't. It's hard to see it getting tons of coverage for being just an accessory.

noname, after all does WM+ really offer 1:1 or not?