By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

Sounds like Microsoft likes to claim they invented gestures control. Of course not, what they showed was a copycat implementation of stuff designed by other companies.

Why would one need Natal for that?

And no. Such stuff won't replace remote controls, it's just an optional extra.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Change channel with a flick of my hand?? NOOOOO!11! how am I now going to watch p0rn without changing channel right in the middle of "it"???

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

kowenicki said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Slimebeast said:
The usual trolls flooded this thread with their hate.

Glad it's not in my head

I third that.

this site has definitely got an issue right now with constant mindless trolling of all things MS.

Gimme a break. That's how these sites work. If you can't take it leave it.

Wii is a fad, wii is for kids, PS3\sony is doomed ha ha ha and anit-whatever-console has been going around this site for ages.

Every console gets its knocks from haters and those just voicing an opinion.

When it's the other consoles getting thumped that's fine and it's all good I suppose. You have no issues then as you jump in and help with the beating.

Hypocrites.

Some people take this stuff to religious levels.

OT:

This reminds me of back in the early 90s when MS and whoever else claimed that by his time (the present) keyboards and mice would be a thing of the past. Voice recognition software and whatever else would rule the homes and offices of the world. Right.

I can see this technology being being very useful for the "big brother" future with it's face recognition" software.

Governments are probably already looking into that. A CCTV in everyones house, awesome.

Another point, I don't think TV manufactuers will use natal, they will just create (or purchase) something similar avoiding the patents.

Is it the future? Maybe...or not.

I mean if you just go down to "Channel X" the chances of confusion are very low.

No they aren't.

"Remember what we were watching in Channel X the other day? It was SO bad".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hmm...

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
naznatips said:
It's easy to SAY there should be a simple way around accidentally adjusting things with gestures, but what's the actual solution to this?

A completely crazy gesture that takes forever to do and makes you feel like a moron?

A vocal code that you could still accidentally say during conversation?

A button to activate the motion controls, in which case it's easier to just hold a controller anyway?

This just seems like an incredibly stupid idea.

Point. set. match.

This is exactly what I was going to say, much like how I knew that milo demo was faked to seem more real than it is, many of these technologies aren't even perfected enough to do what you want them to do every single time and you'll get an error from time to time, factor in the ability to accidently do the jesture or say the code word and it's hard to get around those flaws to make something like this standard.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
naznatips said:
It's easy to SAY there should be a simple way around accidentally adjusting things with gestures, but what's the actual solution to this?

A completely crazy gesture that takes forever to do and makes you feel like a moron?

A button to activate the motion controls, in which case it's easier to just hold a controller anyway?

Point. set. match.

This is exactly what I was going to say, much like how I knew that milo demo was faked to seem more real than it is, many of these technologies aren't even perfected enough to do what you want them to do every single time and you'll get an error from time to time, factor in the ability to accidently do the jesture or say the code word and it's hard to get around those flaws to make something like this standard.

How about a wide 360 degree hand wave motion? I can probably count the times I've accidently moved one hand in a large circular motion in front of my tv in the past 10 years on 1 hand. No one is pretending that this could be rolled out tomorrow but the basic technology is there and can only be developed further. Look how quickly touch screen technology took off when it finally hit the market. As for the occasional accidental gestures, sure they may still happen but it's not as though I've never  paused/changed channel by accidently stepping on/touching/sitting on the remote.

CrazyHorse said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
naznatips said:

Point. set. match.

How about a wide 360 degree hand wave motion? I can probably count the times I've accidently moved one hand in a large circular motion in front of my tv in the past 10 years on 1 hand. No one is pretending that this could be rolled out tomorrow but the basic technology is there and can only be developed further. Look how quickly touch screen technology took off when it finally hit the market. As for the occasional accidental gestures, sure they may still happen but it's not as though I've never  paused/changed channel by accidently stepping on/touching/sitting on the remote.

Ever have to press the power button until it finally works? Or press one and it enters a five? Yeah that's pretty much the basic flaws in the technology and have been for years since it hit the market. Having to say the same word over and over until it finally does it or one guesture is seen as another and is entered in as such.

Not saying this sort of thing can't be worked out, but the practicality is less than desireable and the technology has many flaws.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I expect Natal will help sell million of XBox 360 consoles. PS3 will be left way behind the XBox 360 in console sales with the launch of Natal.
Natal = console seller.

@ Maxwell

I've played the Brain Training game on the DS so I know how frustrating those flaws can be! Despite those flaws it's still massively popular though. I would largely agree with your last statement at this time but I don't think many people expect this technology to be rolled out for this kind of application for a good 10 years or so (at a wild guess) and I do think it is very promising (although in terms of gaming I'm still some what sceptical).