By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

Smidlee said:
CrazyHorse said:
Cheebee said:
naznatips said:
Sounds awkward. I don't want to yawn and pause my movie or scratch my head and suddenly be watching My Little Pony instead of The Dark Knight.

My thoughts exactly.

Do you really think it will be designed to work that way?

One of the things I've noticed from using TrackIR is just how much I move my head (my body as well) during gaming. This is one of the disadvantages of head tracking. With a flight sim the advantage of TrackIR out weigh this disadvantage while racing games they are about the same. Anything else like FPS TrackIR is more annoying than helpful. 

This is why I'm a little skeptically about just how usefully Natal will be. I can see that in some cases (like TrackIR) Natal will be  very helpful but not as much as it's being hyped.

In terms of gaming I completely agree at this point but for this kind of application I think it will be fairly easy to work round such problems by simply having a 'turn on' gesture so that random movements do not alter your tv settings ect.

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
I agree avarice28.
As I have said it should be built into the TV and used in conjunjtion with the universal remote. Sold as one of those extras mid to high end tvs have.
Eventually the cost and size of the components will come down as with everything to make it viable for this is most tvs but thats only if it takes off before then.

Agreed, I actually think it would be a good selling point for tv's (assuming the price isn't overly expensive).

Wow that youtube video was awesome.

CrazyHorse said:
Lord Flashheart said:
I agree avarice28.
As I have said it should be built into the TV and used in conjunjtion with the universal remote. Sold as one of those extras mid to high end tvs have.
Eventually the cost and size of the components will come down as with everything to make it viable for this is most tvs but thats only if it takes off before then.

Agreed, I actually think it would be a good selling point for tv's (assuming the price isn't overly expensive).

With tvs now having two way connectivity with blu-ray players etc having this built into a tv it could be used to traverse your files for you media centre hooked up to it.

But price is everything.

Lord Flashheart said:
CrazyHorse said:
Lord Flashheart said:
I agree avarice28.

With tvs now having two way connectivity with blu-ray players etc having this built into a tv it could be used to traverse your files for you media centre hooked up to it.

But price is everything.

That is true.

Around the Network
CrazyHorse said:
Smidlee said:
CrazyHorse said:
Cheebee said:
naznatips said:
Sounds awkward. I don't want to yawn and pause my movie or scratch my head and suddenly be watching My Little Pony instead of The Dark Knight.

My thoughts exactly.

Do you really think it will be designed to work that way?

One of the things I've noticed from using TrackIR is just how much I move my head (my body as well) during gaming. This is one of the disadvantages of head tracking. With a flight sim the advantage of TrackIR out weigh this disadvantage while racing games they are about the same. Anything else like FPS TrackIR is more annoying than helpful. 

This is why I'm a little skeptically about just how usefully Natal will be. I can see that in some cases (like TrackIR) Natal will be  very helpful but not as much as it's being hyped.

In terms of gaming I completely agree at this point but for this kind of application I think it will be fairly easy to work round such problems by simply having a 'turn on' gesture so that random movements do not alter your tv settings ect.

What if someone makes the turn on gesture without meaning to? Unless you're thinking about a ridiculous gesture that will make people laugh everytime you want to control the TV...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

For me NJ5 if I could pick a ridiculous guesture to control the tv it would be having a seizure. That could be fun for me when people are round.

I am all for new ways for things in everyday life, but motion control is something I am not at all supportive of. Voice control on the other hand is something I support, I mean if you just go down to "Channel X" the chances of confusion are very low. Also the flick of the wrist thing may not work out if someone is watching questionable content, doing questionable things.

PSN ID: KingFate_

It's easy to SAY there should be a simple way around accidentally adjusting things with gestures, but what's the actual solution to this?

A completely crazy gesture that takes forever to do and makes you feel like a moron?

A vocal code that you could still accidentally say during conversation?

A button to activate the motion controls, in which case it's easier to just hold a controller anyway?

This just seems like an incredibly stupid idea.

Didn't realize people were fed up with their remotes that are usually free, crying for something 'better'. Note to MS, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. This will never catch on as a new TV remote or for interactive TV.

Funny though. Three years ago Bill Gates mocked the Wii. Saying he didn't understand the controller. What would happen if you put the controller down? Didn't seem suited for gaming he said. Now look at MS. Perhaps they should've named their console XBox 180.