By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

kowenicki said:
Xoj said:
naznatips said:
Sounds awkward. I don't want to yawn and pause my movie or scratch my head and suddenly be watching My Little Pony instead of The Dark Knight.

knowing microsoft.

Xoj sad and weak as usual.

On topic... could be cool... shall wait and see.  I guess this is how we xbox users will be able to use the NXE if we so choose.

i laughed, i was hoping u did :P, the video try to give a clear view while i don't think it will happen yet.

the same voice recognition it's on windows 7/vista and still does the same.

microsoft hyping the device they better deliver a bugless interface in 2010, because many  will be the first to point and laugh like that video.

Around the Network

Sounds pretty neat to me. Especially the facial recognition stuff. It could tell who all is in the room and have the settings adjusted accordingly. Maybe I like the volume a little louder than other people. Natal knows I am there and adjusts it to where the software knows I like it. As for gestures, that would be quite simple really. All they need is a gesture to activate the system. Perhaps a double click with your hand and the word 'on'. Sweeps and swipes. Dual hand gestures such as zooming, etc. The NXE is actually set up quite well for a gesture based system. If it is anything like controlling the ZuneHD UI, it will be quite fun as well.

I see the same xbox fan tactics of calling anyone that doesn't praise all things MS a troll or a hater. If you want to be taken seriously address their concerns. Try not to defend every comment made by a MS exec. The statement that Natal can replace the remote control without any evidence or additional information is a dumb statement. The natural response of an unbiased person would be do I need that? Will it improve my TV experience? Would I have to leave my xbox on all the time? These are valid concerns and judging by some of the responses on this thread there are no good answers.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Sorry guys, I serious think natal will bomb. Yes i'm trolling, but I wouldn't buy it even if it came out for PS3, and I don't think you guys should be investing so much hope in Natal. How much lag will natal have? How much accuracy will it have? How long could I stand to play holding my hands out in front of me.? How many people have a coffee table between their TV and couch like me? Will Natal be able to see my feet through said coffee table? How many people use a small floor ceramic heater during the winter months? Will natal be confused by it's 1500 watt heat signature? If my cat hops on the coffee table while i'm playing, like he does now, will natal lock onto my cat? Will I be able to use natal with all the lights in my living room off, like I do sometimes now? How will I jump, shoot, turn, run, crouch, peek and shoot, hope over and run, take cover, peek and shoot, run forward, turn, crouch, crawl, jump up while shooting, switch weapons, shoot, lob a gernade, then hide using natal? Imagine the waving of arms, wild gestures, LOL. For some casual games it might be fun, games that don't require accuaracy or low ping, like the wii games, but for any serious games- have you guys really thought this through?

raygun said:
Sorry guys, I serious think natal will bomb. Yes i'm trolling, but I wouldn't buy it even if it came out for PS3, and I don't think you guys should be investing so much hope in Natal. How much lag will natal have? How much accuracy will it have? How long could I stand to play holding my hands out in front of me.? How many people have a coffee table between their TV and couch like me? Will Natal be able to see my feet through said coffee table? How many people use a small floor ceramic heater during the winter months? Will natal be confused by it's 1500 watt heat signature? If my cat hops on the coffee table while i'm playing, like he does now, will natal lock onto my cat? Will I be able to use natal with all the lights in my living room off, like I do sometimes now? How will I jump, shoot, turn, run, crouch, peek and shoot, hope over and run, take cover, peek and shoot, run forward, turn, crouch, crawl, jump up while shooting, switch weapons, shoot, lob a gernade, then hide using natal? Imagine the waving of arms, wild gestures, LOL. For some casual games it might be fun, games that don't require accuaracy or low ping, like the wii games, but for any serious games- have you guys really thought this through?

There a good point there you could make your cat/dog play xbox that awesome i might buy it now (sarcasm)

Seriously now

Natal will probably suck with detailed games but maybe if they rerelease it after a failed launch years later then it might work with games worth playing for eveyone who isn't a wii fan with cravings for more, i mean the wii sells like hot cakes of course M$ are trying to jump on the bandwagan and make some more money on the side.

Around the Network
CrazyHorse said:
Cheebee said:
naznatips said:
Sounds awkward. I don't want to yawn and pause my movie or scratch my head and suddenly be watching My Little Pony instead of The Dark Knight.

My thoughts exactly.

Do you really think it will be designed to work that way?

One of the things I've noticed from using TrackIR is just how much I move my head (my body as well) during gaming. This is one of the disadvantages of head tracking. With a flight sim the advantage of TrackIR out weigh this disadvantage while racing games they are about the same. Anything else like FPS TrackIR is more annoying than helpful. 

This is why I'm a little skeptically about just how usefully Natal will be. I can see that in some cases (like TrackIR) Natal will be  very helpful but not as much as it's being hyped.

bdbdbd said:
@Lord Flockheart: Ok, thanks for the information. I knew that the 3DV was working on the hardware and software seen in Natal, but i didn't know M$ was working on similar software.

You know, when someone makes an argument, the argument doesn't go away by calling it hate. What you need to do is address the argument with your own.

There's a video somewhere on the net that i cannot find again in which an MS tech guy shows motion tracking using cameras that was made late 90's early 2000's.

You're confusing mindless trolling with having an argument.

My comments are aimed at the first. If you have an argument that's great. Let discuss but stupid digs that add nothing and spread falsities aren't welcome yet common place. You first and subsequent comments fit that.

raygun said:

Have you thought it through? Seems you've only looked at it from the sony fanboy side and are looking for problems instead of thinking it through and looking at the whole picture.
Anyway I doubt you've done the same for Sony's dildo. I'm guessing the opposite. Enjoy the zit.

the only major hurdle this technology has is if it can be cheaper than the common universal remote?  If natal is more expensive than the 10 dollar

remote at radio shack, why would working class America even bother with it? Grand ma is "not" a tech guru and neither is Grand Dad; so why

would this technology even appeal to that demographic?  I believe if this tech does not raise the price of common day HDtv, it may have a shot at

wide adoption across all regions.  The problem with companies who hail their products as the "next big thing" is they are trying to always sell you

a product that may or may not have any real value.  Bottom line it's success is based upon sales and not if the end user will use it or not; I think

that it should be included along with normal remote use (in HDTV's) so it can "ease" its way into the customers conscience.  Let it be used as

additional, not as mandatory for all users.

I agree avarice28.
As I have said it should be built into the TV and used in conjunjtion with the universal remote. Sold as one of those extras mid to high end tvs have.
Eventually the cost and size of the components will come down as with everything to make it viable for this is most tvs but thats only if it takes off before then.