By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

Yridian said:
Didn't realize people were fed up with their remotes that are usually free, crying for something 'better'. Note to MS, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. This will never catch on as a new TV remote or for interactive TV.

Funny though. Three years ago Bill Gates mocked the Wii. Saying he didn't understand the controller. What would happen if you put the controller down? Didn't seem suited for gaming he said. Now look at MS. Perhaps they should've named their console XBox 180.

You sound like Gates did 3 years ago. Funny that.

Around the Network

I just think it's kind of silly. Various 3rd party developers are excited about this technology, and Natal has already received various scientific awards, yet people STILL don't want to be excited over this.

Instead of thinking about ONLY the problems, think about the possibilities as well. Yeah, maybe in conversion you could change the channel, or some random motion will turn off the TV, or maybe the finger tracking isn't perfect; but try to think more positively, and then weigh the positive and the negative. If you still can't get into this, cool, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. It just seems like so many people just immediately disregard Natal for some reason without logically thinking it through.

OT: I think this is pretty cool, having finally moved into my own place, controllers kind of create a bit of clutter. Anything that removes all this clutter I'm noticing lately (video game cases, solution, downloads; Movies, solution, streaming; Etc.) is a welcome change to me.

Microsoft has a history of over-promising and under-delivering.
This just feels like this could be another instance of that.

And until someone figures out how to make a universal remote or third-party remote fully functional, nothing is going to do what is promised herein.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

People are immediately disregarding Natal because it's made by MS.
If it was made by the manufacturer of their choice they would be wetter between the legs than a teenage girl at the mention of Twilight.

r505Matt said:

I just think it's kind of silly. Various 3rd party developers are excited about this technology, and Natal has already received various scientific awards, yet people STILL don't want to be excited over this.

Instead of thinking about ONLY the problems, think about the possibilities as well. Yeah, maybe in conversion you could change the channel, or some random motion will turn off the TV, or maybe the finger tracking isn't perfect; but try to think more positively, and then weigh the positive and the negative. If you still can't get into this, cool, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. It just seems like so many people just immediately disregard Natal for some reason without logically thinking it through.

OT: I think this is pretty cool, having finally moved into my own place, controllers kind of create a bit of clutter. Anything that removes all this clutter I'm noticing lately (video game cases, solution, downloads; Movies, solution, streaming; Etc.) is a welcome change to me.

Get one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-890-Remote-Control/dp/B001L1RSO8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259599310&sr=8-9

then you can control your system from any room in the house, which is much better than having to wave your hands or nod your head in front of a camera in 1 specific room. I bought one because I have a 2 room setup with a single AV system and it works great

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Sounds like it could be a cool thing, however like new technology it may not work in the real world how they think. It may take some time to really dial in this technology, like i read someone said, you dont want to scratch your head or something else, and the channel changes or something like that. Ill keep my remotes for now, but this could be very cool tech in years to come.

nordlead said:
r505Matt said:

Get one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-890-Remote-Control/dp/B001L1RSO8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259599310&sr=8-9

then you can control your system from any room in the house, which is much better than having to wave your hands or nod your head in front of a camera in 1 specific room. I bought one because I have a 2 room setup with a single AV system and it works great

Haha $280? Hot damn, I think I'll stick with my clutter thanks =)

r505Matt said:
nordlead said:
r505Matt said:

Haha $280? Hot damn, I think I'll stick with my clutter thanks =)

I got mine (refurbished) for $130, but that is the controller. I'm not sure why the refurbished one is sitting at $280, as I found a lot of websites selling refurbished ones for ~$150.

Realistically, if they sell Natal just for TV they'll have to charge just as much as they won't be selling extra content and need to make a profit somehow.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

But Natal wont be sold for just the tv so it's a mute point.

Lord Flashheart said:
But Natal wont be sold for just the tv so it's a mute point.
  • If Natal is sold for use on a TV standalone as a controller for $50, then every person who buys one for their TV will cause Microsoft to lose money, so they won't sell it that cheap stand alone.
  • If I have to buy an X360 first, then it costs +$200 anyways.
  • If I can buy it for my PC, then again it will have to be fairly expensive as I won't be buying extra content.

All I'm really saying, is that an expensive RF controller that controlls 15 devices isn't really all that expensive if you are considering dropping similar money on something just to control your TV (and possibly other periphrials) and he can have it now rather than waiting til Natal comes out.

(as a note, I only really came in here because NJ5 was having a problem and I probably should go read the entire thread, but I was just pointing out that if you are tired of the controller clutter there are some great products out there already)