By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy cover hotness

Griffin said:
Are you wii owners saying that on all the box arts it does not say it has 480p or 16:9 on it, i'm pretty sure every system since they started adding this stuff has it posted, it seems odd that wii in NA would remove the stuff. Even the GC had labels for his stuff.

Are you trying to be hostile or something?  I've seen videos, I've read hands-on impressions from numerous sites...the game's in 480p, 16:9 widescreen at 30 fps.  

And yes, I'm saying I was unaware that there were logos for 480p and 16:9...I figured it would just be described somewhere on the box, perhaps in finer print.  I did not think there were logos for it. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
PlagueOfLocust said:
@sqrl - Answer: The part that expects a rational person to have rational opinions. If you were only interested in being a wise guy, then you should have said so when I responded.

I think you're confusing not having proof with having baseless opinions.

You could be right that it was unintentional; if you read my posts in this thread, I've said several times that it might be unintentional. But the odds are against it; that's the math, and math trumps your assumptions.

A sarcastic remark meant to highlight the absurdity of an idea with more absurdity does not require rationale by rational thinking.  There in lies the rational thinking for a rational person with rational opinions.  

Now for a topic with less usage of the word "rational"....

This idea that some artist at Nintendo is trying to play this joke on people is not rational and is not supported by any math.  But since you have made the claim now please feel free to elaborate.  If my memory serves me correctly there should be 2^16=65,536 different ways (including the null set) to highlight different letters combinations in the title without changing their order.  And if you show me one combination with a given rarity of occurence I will show you 65,535 others with the same rarity of occuring.  

To think that because this configuration is improbable proves that it was intentional would be the same as assuming that since someone wins the lottery it was rigged.  Someone has to win.

In responce to your last blurb: I have read your posts, but that doesn't change the fact that I have seen zero evidence for this being intentional and as such I am going for the far more likely (and rational!) scenario of unintentional coincidense.  

To Each Man, Responsibility

Ummmm if it's true that there are subliminal messages, it could be part of promoting the game ;) look how we have a whole thread talking about it, man this is better then having a comercial in the tv. :P

Borkachev said:
But the odds are against it; that's the math, and math trumps your assumptions.

Math trumps it?

The odds are against that particular combination, yes, but they're equally against any other letter combination. Hundreds of these, probably thousands, could have patterns read into them by the average person. All of them would show a pattern to someone in the world.

Examples:

SUPER MARIO GALAXY
|
SUPMAX ("'sup, Max"? The artist is saying hi to someone named Max)
|
UGLY (this would be reported as a subversive commentary on Wii's graphics)
|
SPERM (corrupting the children again)
|
SURARGAY ("sure are gay" and a lot of other things ending in "GAY," since those are the obvious letters to highlight in GALAXY)
|
UPLA (the artist is a supporter of the Uttar-Pradesh Land Alliance. I've never heard of it either, but someone has)

And how many other arbitrary combinations of letters have meaning as acronyms/shorthands to various groups the way that "UR" has meaning to internet users? Many of these would be much less nonsensical than "You are Mr. Gay."

Humans superimpose patterns onto their world. Look at the Jesus tacos if you want proof.

And as rediculous as you claim the arrangement of letters UR MR GAY is, it still holds more water than any alternative you were able to give in taking the time to think about them. And those are just a drop in the bucket in terms of possible combinations. The math still looks to favor it being done intentionally. And why not? Why is it that hard for you to believe it was intentional, to go against the odds in the first place?

The use of UR is something most people are going to get, sorry. That you're comparing this to UPLA just shows how necessary exagerration is to your argument.

(Edit - Let me take the time to discredit the SPERM example, though, since that one's decent. 1. It's only one other example out of how many possible combinations? 2. Those letters, aside from a U between them, are all right next to each other at the beginning of the title. How obvious would intent have been if they had done that? Maybe not obvious enough for some.)

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

I thought the use of subliminal messaging is to make you subconsciously remember something odd about the box art. Which encourage s your brain to remember the name\game well as well as do further investigating |buying|watching| the game or what not. Same way movie theatres used to flash a picture of popcorn for a millisecond to get u hungry for popcorn.

Around the Network

guys.. just to clear this up, it is definitely 16:9 and 480p, as most people have already said, and as far as the fps goes.. here is a segment from a very, very recent interview with one of the creators

Aoyagi:
"Since I wrote the gravity program, I would like our players to have an experience like no other, running around all the weird-shaped planets. Also, as a programmer, let me say that I really worked hard to make the game run at 60 frames per second6, so I hope you'll enjoy the smooth animation."

http://uk.wii.com/software/interviews/mario_galaxy/vol2/page5.html

Alright everyone. Lets play a little excercise.

First off, if you thought that the fact that small glints on the letters of Super Mario Galaxy can be used to seperate certain letters that spell a butchered quasi sensical sentence with gay in it is funny, raise your hand.

Secondly, if you think that this is in any way intentional, or that it might have some effect, no matter how small, on the games sales, keep your hand up.

There. Now if you had your hand up for half of that excercise, you're probably a tad immature, but that's ok. Now if you had your hand up for the whole excercise, then you're just a moron.

Don't be such morons VG'rs.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Borkachev said:
But the odds are against it; that's the math, and math trumps your assumptions.

Math trumps it?

The odds are against that particular combination, yes, but they're equally against any other letter combination. Hundreds of these, probably thousands, could have patterns read into them by the average person. All of them would show a pattern to someone in the world.

Examples:

SUPER MARIO GALAXY
|
SUPMAX ("'sup, Max"? The artist is saying hi to someone named Max)
|
UGLY (this would be reported as a subversive commentary on Wii's graphics)
|
SPERM (corrupting the children again)
|
SURARGAY ("sure are gay" and a lot of other things ending in "GAY," since those are the obvious letters to highlight in GALAXY)
|
UPLA (the artist is a supporter of the Uttar-Pradesh Land Alliance. I've never heard of it either, but someone has)

And how many other arbitrary combinations of letters have meaning as acronyms/shorthands to various groups the way that "UR" has meaning to internet users? Many of these would be much less nonsensical than "You are Mr. Gay."

Humans superimpose patterns onto their world. Look at the Jesus tacos if you want proof.

you are aware that people just didn't put random letters together, and that to get "U R MR GAY" they take each letter in the title that has a sparkle of light on it...

Sqrl said:

A sarcastic remark meant to highlight the absurdity of an idea with more absurdity does not require rationale by rational thinking. There in lies the rational thinking for a rational person with rational opinions.

Now for a topic with less usage of the word "rational"....

This idea that some artist at Nintendo is trying to play this joke on people is not rational and is not supported by any math. But since you have made the claim now please feel free to elaborate. If my memory serves me correctly there should be 2^16=65,536 different ways (including the null set) to highlight different letters combinations in the title without changing their order. And if you show me one combination with a given rarity of occurence I will show you 65,535 others with the same rarity of occuring.

To think that because this configuration is improbable proves that it was intentional would be the same as assuming that since someone wins the lottery it was rigged. Someone has to win.

In responce to your last blurb: I have read your posts, but that doesn't change the fact that I have seen zero evidence for this being intentional and as such I am going for the far more likely (and rational!) scenario of unintentional coincidense.

---

First off, you're clearly confused, as evident in the first two lines. If, and only if, you first decided - arbitrarily - that my opinion was absurb and then provided your absurd scenario to mock this, the absurdity makes sense where it is. And yet you don't deal with this scenario as an absurd thereafter; you've been trying to defend it as a rational point. One does not defend absurdity unless they think it somehow makes a rational point. You can't have it both ways. Pick, and then note how your scenario is either unintentionally irrational or purposely absurd and indefensible, and either way useless.

Then you get into phony math. Again, your scenario is faulty, albeit much less likely unintentionally so this time. First of all, someone does *not* have to win the lottery. Second of all, we're not talking about how likely it is that someone, anyone, will win. Those odds are decent. We're talking about how likely it is that a *specific person* will win. That's the proper scenario to make the comparison. I can't believe I actually had to walk through the math on this one to show that, if you think this was a random placement of highlights, it's unlikely that this one would come up over any other... particularly when even the best alternatives for messages with a scrap of meaning (thank you, Borkachev) pale in terms of coherency to the one we have showing up here.

It puzzles me that you go ahead and call your scenario of unintentional coincidence "rational", and "more likely" even, without backing this up in any other way... in the very sentence that accuses me of not providing evidence. Admit that you just simply *feel* like it wasn't done intentionally, and that that feeling alone is the basis of your argument.

Like it or not, the math supports what I'm saying. It could still be a freak happening, as I've said. That is a possibility I've allowed for from the start. All I'm saying is that it's unlikely that this could have been random... that's the mathematical fact, that it's *unlikely*. Period. But you aren't allowing for it to be anything but chance, so either way I have nothing on the line here.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

You might want to tell your avatar he can put his hand down now, stof.