By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Man in 'coma' for 23 years was awake all along

highwaystar101 said:
Kasz216 said:
highwaystar101 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
NJ5 said:
And I thought waiting for the bus felt like a long time.

In the UK, waiting for a bus does take 23 years.

On Friday I waited a whole fucking hour for a bus. That was hell enough, let alone 23 years. If I wasn't in such a good mood that day I would have been pissed off beyond belief.

I blame Margaret Thatcher, she is the reason buses are so shit lol.

The differnce between the domestic and international perceptions of margaret thatcher always get me.

I think internationally she is seen as a great person, but in Britain her premiership is seen as a bit of a mixed bag. I think we are frequently reminded that she wasn't that great really. Fair enough she got inflation rates down in the mid 80's, but they sharply increased again near the end of her third term. And she privatised a lot of national services, some privatised services paid off but some went quite badly.

However, one of my major issues with British politics is the way the transport industry is ran and regulated, I hate it. It's not just me, a lot of people think this way. I think privatising the national bus company in 1988 was handled very poorly and is the root cause of a lot of problems that exist in the transport industry in Britain today. I don't mind it being privatised, I can see the point to it, but it could have been done so much better.

Anyway, it was only meant to be a humerous comment and not taken literally.

I know.  It's just somethign I always notice that i find interesting.

As for this being a hoax... maybe.  I don't quite see the point though.  I mean all it does is paint that hospital in a bad light...

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
highwaystar101 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
NJ5 said:
And I thought waiting for the bus felt like a long time.

In the UK, waiting for a bus does take 23 years.

On Friday I waited a whole fucking hour for a bus. That was hell enough, let alone 23 years. If I wasn't in such a good mood that day I would have been pissed off beyond belief.

I blame Margaret Thatcher, she is the reason buses are so shit lol.

The differnce between the domestic and international perceptions of margaret thatcher always get me.

It's because we've had a Labour Government who, for the past 12 years, have blamed Thatcher for every issue the country has. They still do it, to this day.

Might as well change "off topic" to "religious/political chat"

I can't see it being a hoax either to be honest. I've tried looking for sources offering evidence that it was a hoax, but I haven't seen any, just a couple of blogs with random people saying it's impossible.

I don't know if it is possible or not, but I don't see why the Belgian health service would allow a hoax like this without speaking up as soon as the newspapers found out. He has given some specific details of his experience too, including the nicknames nurses gave him.

If the Belgian health service speak against it then I will withdraw my argument.

Getting back on topic... doesn't this make you guys think about that song One by Metallica?

Around the Network

I'm surprised he didn't go crazy, I would have if I lied down for a full 23 years. Hell, I would go insane in 23 days.
It says he woke up 3 years ago though, I guess that means he wasn't aware for the first 20 years?

AdventWolf said:
I'm surprised he didn't go crazy, I would have if I lied down for a full 23 years. Hell, I would go insane in 23 days.
It says he woke up 3 years ago though, I guess that means he wasn't aware for the first 20 years?

No, they found out that he wasn't in a coma 3 years ago. He was conscious for the 23 years, but people didn't know. The accident occurred 26 years ago. The past three years have been rehabilitation as far as I'm aware.

Oh ok makes sense, when they said he "woke up" it confused me.

What I personally find strange is how the man can hold his head up, which indicates he has voluntary control of some of his muscles in the neck. He doesn't seem like a person in a vegetative state to me (and typically people with locked-in-syndrome don't do that with their heads either).

I don't know what his condition is, but this story and the footage don't make sense.

Seece said:

Might as well change "off topic" to "religious/political/sexual orientation chat"

fixed

OT: wow. that would be the worst thing. but what a shame if it's not even real, if he's still lying there unable to communicate and its just some nurse moving his hand about. horrible and sad

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.