By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does the Wii have the weakest library?

Vas-y said:
Bullza said:
The Wiis just a kids thing, its cheap to produce games for so you get a ton of crap released.

But I'm a grown up. What should I do?

Play a grown up console...

Around the Network

This is just going to start shit, let me lock this and then sort through and moderate at my leisure.

RolStoppable said:

I am currently seeing Darkside Chronicles sitting at 73 on Metacritic while Dead Space Extraction has an average score of 83, if I remember correctly.

So the explanation why the Wii has the weakest library is quite simple: There's no consistency among reviewers whatsoever and for most of them it's difficult to see a difference between a good and a bad game.

EDIT: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the game of the decade, not averaging 90 or higher should be enough proof that Metacritic is pretty much worthless.

Game of the decade without online? LOL (J/K Rol)

Darkside Chronicles actually looks sick, and I have heard great things about it from GAMERS, not professional trollers.

How it could be rated anything below an 8 is beyond me.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Vas-y said:
Bullza said:
The Wiis just a kids thing, its cheap to produce games for so you get a ton of crap released.

Sell your Wii and buy a ball in a cup.

It's a ball.

In a cup.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

To actually answer your question, there are a few key reasons.

1) You're reasoning is somewhat flawed. Game reviewers tend to favour some types of games over others, and thus your proof can only count for those games. While I normally despise the word "core", it actually fits here. If you ask "Why does the Wii have the weakest core library", that's actually closer to the truth. So, I will answer:

Why does the Wii have the weakest core library? Again, it's split.

Note that "core" here is used as the type of games that reviewers like, not gore games or anything of the sort.

2) The Wii "core" userbase is hard to hit. Some of them sell well, others don't sell at all. This actually appears to be the case moreso with the Wii than the X360/Ps3. As a result, there's a larger risk of your game selling incredibly little.

3) A smaller "core" userbase. The Ps360 combined have a far larger core userbase than the Wii. I don't like giving completely random numbers, but it's likely to be 2:1 at least.

4) Nintendo is an awful competitor to have. Face it, Nintendo is, this generation, the by far largest publisher. Nintendo's top 5 Wii games (not with Wii Sports) account for more than 25% of the Wii's software sales in 2009. If you can avoid fighting Nintendo, you will.

5) The start of the generation/the Wiimote controls. The Wii was expected to end dead last, and it did, thus, not start off with many "core" games. Therefore, there's less to build on. If you want to make a shooter on the X360, you have a fair bit of shooters to tell you how to do it. There are no games that really tell you how to use the Wiimote controls, and thus they actually become a development liability, as they might add in a lot of more work.

And the Wii doesn't have a lot of things going for it, for core games. I only see one obvious one:

1) Lower development costs. But this doesn't help too much, as it costs equally much to advertise for a Wii game as for an X360 game.

I hope this answered your question.

Around the Network
Cthulhu said:
So what do you think about the effort on the Wii in 2009 compered to the others?

I believe the Wii's library is the weakest in 2009, so it was in 2008. Things might change though

i think 2009 was better than 2008 though, but not by much.

2008 had Brawl and Mario Kart, Wario Land: Shake it and Okami

2009 had Punch Out, New Super Mario Bros, Murasama, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Madworld, Klonoa, Little King's Story.

Cheebee said:
scottie said:
@ Diaros - it's probably due to your own personal enjoyment of a certain few genres, as well as your preference for either single player or online multiplayer, coupled with the fact that these aspects are shared by the vast majority of game reviewers.

Likes and dislikes are very subjective, for example, of those 90+ rated games, I only enjoy

And I do plan to buy Okami if I see it for a decent price

Also, where's your data from? If it's metacritic, it's outdated

1. Wii: Metroid Prime Trilogy (2009) 91
Nintendo

For example

Wait- what...?

GET OKAMI NOW!

I'm sorry

First step is fly out for a few months to Europe, so no gaming for me any time soon. Then I buy NSMB:Wii the day I get back. Then I shall buy Okami!

Yeah, use a list where GTA4 is listed #1 to proof your point.

Bullza said:
Vas-y said:
Bullza said:

Play a grown up console...

Thanks for your advice! I think this indicates that my mind hasn't caught up to the actual age of my body.

@ Kantor

But having a ball in a cup doesn't sound that grown up to me. Are you mocking me? :(

Great anthor person who uses metacritic

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.