By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Up PS3 Still >Than 360 MW2 Sells 8.14million

JaggedSac said:
Damnit, the PS3 beating the 360 as of late means the 360 will lose support. Crap!

Why do you always do this lame sarcastic crap? It's not clever or funny.

You did the same stuff when FM3's Metacritic was dropping.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Damnit, the PS3 beating the 360 as of late means the 360 will lose support. Crap!

No it doesn't.

But vigorous PS3 sales (including great multiplat sales) and surging install base make it harder for devs to justify 360 exclusives going forward.  FPSs still probably being an exception.

PS3 survived the 99.99 $ Xbox !!!

Why did Japan go down for PS3 , don't the holiday boosts help it get higher then the previous week ?

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

@Notorius

Holiday boosts in Japan is little weeks late.

chubaca said:
I don't understand how PS3 outsold X360 THIS week.
Maybe some banned people switching sides?

At this point in the game, there isn't a title out that is going to shift that many sales, especially a game on both HD consoles.  Modern Warfare 2 is of big interest to those who already have consoles.  It is not for those who don't. 

Around the Network

Lol at this thread! Justice Lea... I mean Fanboys UNITE!!! haha good sales for the wii and PS3 though i must admit. Holidays are going to be great!

Long Live SHIO!

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
The NES sold roughly 62 million.

The Wii sold 6.51 million between this time last year and the end of 2008.

Adding that on to current Wii sales would give 63.2 million.

Wii was down 14% this week.

If it's down 14% for the rest of the year: 6.51 * 0.86 = 5.60 million

56.69 + 5.60 = 62.29 million

Which is just above the NES. But, the Wii will probably go down further YoY, around the time when the Wii began to take off and sell 1 million + in 2008.

So, I now say no, it won't.

Don't forget that the Wii was badly supply constrained in December of last year, which is why December numbers were basically identical to November numbers. This year, that won't be a problem.

I say it will.

I think you may underestimate the holiday rush and the effects of shipping constraints.  The DS Lite was nigh impossible to find last December, despite having been on the market for four years by that point.  Yes, they may be able to manufacture XX amount during a normal month, and they may stockpile plenty for the Holidays, but sometimes it's simply logistically impossible for stores to keep enough in stock for December, especially given how much other stock they have to deal with (on a typical day at GameStop we get anywhere from 0-4 boxes in our shipment - on any day in December we'll get over 30).

Edit: This post was aimed at your line concerning the alleviation of supply constraints, not towards the idea that the Wii willl do better/worse than last year, or whatever it was that you guys were discussing lol.

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
The NES sold roughly 62 million.

The Wii sold 6.51 million between this time last year and the end of 2008.

Adding that on to current Wii sales would give 63.2 million.

Wii was down 14% this week.

If it's down 14% for the rest of the year: 6.51 * 0.86 = 5.60 million

56.69 + 5.60 = 62.29 million

Which is just above the NES. But, the Wii will probably go down further YoY, around the time when the Wii began to take off and sell 1 million + in 2008.

So, I now say no, it won't.

Don't forget that the Wii was badly supply constrained in December of last year, which is why December numbers were basically identical to November numbers. This year, that won't be a problem.

I say it will.

Just for the sake of disagreeing with Khuutra, I maintain that it won't.

Also, it was supply constrained then, but it's demand constrained now. The Wii is in plentiful supply right now, and it's still tracking below last year's numbers.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I'm with Khuutra. Wii did more in Nov than in Dec due to supply constraints now since it is readily available I think it will hit 2m in Nov but be up significantly in Dec not just because of it having good supply but also I feel Mario Bros will contribute to the bump. 4m in Dec. is possible I believe.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Say what you want but I was referring to microsoft and sony's gaming departments not everything they make. But now you mention it by including these 2 massive companies other businesses it makes the Wii's sales even more fantastic from a little company like Nintendo

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""