By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New super mario bros Wii on metacritic.

Haven't you learned already that using metacritic is not a good way to judge games and the console it's on?

There's clearly a bias in the review sites today. Xbox360/ps3 games get a lot more reviews on metacritic then wii games. If you don't believe me then take a look for yourself. They don't care for the wii because of there prejudices against the console. If they don't care about reviewing any wii games what makes you think they aren't biased?

Around the Network

Bias or lack of bias is beside the point. If there is bias or if there is not, there is no difference; neither state makes Metacritic into a valid measure of quality.

silicon said:

You made a few good points. Especially with regards to the bolded section.

I did not want to make an argument of hardcore vs casual becuase I don't really understand the definitions that people use on the forums for those terms.

The root of the problem is the association of quality with the number of sales. I do no agree that sales necessary or sufficient to imply that a game is a quality title.

It seems that what you're saying that quality is judged by the consumer. Someone with different standards can consider a title quality and their beliefs as to what is quality is different than somone elses, specifically my own. I agree that everyone can have their own personal opinion on how much they like, value or appreciate something.

There is another problem, and that is if a game sells well it implies that the consumer judges the quality of the title before playing the title. This could mean that the actual product is not what the consumers actually consider when making the purchase.

This is fundamentally different the view I proposed where quality is something inherent in the title themselves. The main difference is that I believe that something can be quality even with low sales. Something with high sales can also be quality. The inherent qualities can of course be made up of personal standards, which is why reviews are all over the place.

I can agree with what you wrote. A game that people ultimately end up disappointed in (i.e. what is generally a "bad game") can still sell gangbusters due to opening hype, and a game that more people would ultimately have liked if they'd tried it can sell poorly due to a variety of factors. So I think you're correct that sales figures aren't the alpha and omega of the quality analysis.

I'm not comfortable going much further with this though, because I know I'll start to put my subjective tastes into objective categories. For example, I "know" that if more people tried Little King's Story, it would have sold far, far better. But if I'm to be honest, I have zero idea how much of my knowledge springs from the truth and how much is just wishful thinking.

It's quite possible that poor-selling games I love (LKS, Okami, Beyond Good and Evil, Ogre Battle, etc.) would be largely rejected by the masses even if they got a chance to try them. In such situations, I'm prepared to say that I personally think they're good games, but most gamers apparently feel otherwise (just like I say that most gamers love Grand Theft Auto, even if I personally don't care for it at all).

The way I see it reviews will many times have a bias toward hype, not platform. I mean, the most hyped a game is, be it on PS3, Wii, DS or wherever it may be, the more likely it is that the review scores will be higher than the user scores.

Khuutra said:
BladeOfGod said:

Because bigger sales should attract more developers and better third party support, like with the PS1 and PS2 and DS.

What has that got to do with Metacritic?

for example, Capcom (good third party) would make SF IV for Wii ( because of the wii's huge sales) SF V ended up with 94 on MC and there you go. Wii now has at least 1  90+ game.

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
Khuutra said:
BladeOfGod said:

Because bigger sales should attract more developers and better third party support, like with the PS1 and PS2 and DS.

What has that got to do with Metacritic?

for example, Capcom (good third party) would make SF IV for Wii ( because of the wii's huge sales) SF V ended up with 94 on MC and there you go. Wii now has at least 1  90+ game.

Why does the Wii need a 90+ game?

This game is better than most 90+ games this gen.

I really dont get what's some people obsession with 90% + scores on Metacritic, i dont see how 91% and AAA status makes game significantly better then a game that got 89 for example. NSMBWii is amazing and that only counts

rastari said:
This game is better than most 90+ games this gen.

I defintly agree with you on that rastari.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Oh yes it's an excellent game. 3 hours of playing and still at world 3 with my friends!