By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 200,000 PC Gamers Signed Petition Against MW2

shio said:

Over 200,000 PC games signed the petition against the removal of dedicated servers in MW2, and it's still counting. This is a huge success for the PC community, and shows the dissatisfaction of PC gamers towards Infinity Ward.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Success! That'll show them! 200,000 signatures, less than 10% are likely lost sales... yes, Activition will sure be hurting when their game sells 12 million copies across all platforms, and this "great success" costs them less than 20,000. Congrats PC gaming community, you have struck deep to the heart of their checkbooks. Oh wait, no, the PC gaming community already did it's damage via piracy... compared to consoles, PC game sales on this MW2 will be a rounding error.

How about this, how about all the developers sign a petition showing their dissatisfaction with how many copies of their games are DLed illegally. Guess what? They could all sign, and it would accomplish the same as this petition here..

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Why did this thread get derailed into piracy so quickly?

Dedicated servers are important to me, so I don't think I will buy any games which don't support them. Unless it's a game I want for the single player of course.

And this is the only true way to make them change.  If enough people agree, their bottom line will change.

Mudface said:
Um, no, that's the total downloaded using the BitTorrent protocol, nothing to do with the client or site.

Another link.

Um, well then maybe that first link should have stated "protocol" and not just "BitTorrent" 

Still, that's just for people who used torrent clients to get a pirated copy.  I'm sure there's plenty of other methods, including once you download the game you can make as many copies of it as you want, so just downloads alone gives a misguided picture.

I still bet that the pirates far outnumber the legitimate owners on CoD4. 

Slimebeast said:
Galaki said:
Slimebeast said:
jefforange89 said:
Slimebeast said:
lol at all these pirates whining about a game that they're stealing.

lol at sweeping and completely baseless generalizations

The large majority of PC gamers are pirates, especially guys that play shooters, so it's pretty safe to say that the majority of those who signed the petition are pirates.

Since shooters are considered hardcore, you're saying majority of hardcore gamers are pirates. Who are these people that are buying MW2? Probably the casuals.

On PC, of course. All the people I've come in contact with who play PC games have been at least moderate if not huge pirates. And this is in Sweden which is an extremely rich country.

Yet, there exists people who buy games from time to time, and is the reason why MW2 PC version has sold some copies (a couple of millions if not more). But they are a minority, especially from a global perspective (include South America, Russia, Poliand and others who are big PC gaming nations).

sweden has a huge piracy rate compared to many other countries. Heck your pirate party even has mandates in your folketing.

Many countries has far less pirating.

Check out my game about moles ^

nightsurge said:
200,000 people sign a petition.... and the world doesn't even care

Seriously, who cares. IW is obviously doing this to switch their development over to consoles where their latest games have really started to become popular and far outsold the PC versions. Piracy to blame....

Let's spin a nice scenario off this.  Say that these protests are real, and then large numbers of individuals storm off and don't buy MW2.  However, the combine sales of MW2 on consoles goes well over 10 million sold.  The PC platform doesn't even break one million.  What prevents Activision from looking at this and then says that PC development isn't worth it, considering the headaches to support it, and also the piracy.  End result here is the PC gamer may no longer have Call of Duty on it, and Activision ends up going straight console with the game.  This becomes more true as the PERCENTAGE of the PC gaming market becomes less and less important.  Activision will end up caring less about the number of people playing, including pirates in third-world nations, and game centers where they hang out.

Around the Network

And how many of those represent lost sales? You seem to be working under the assumption that one download = one lost sale, which is horribly false.

I can tell you that I downloaded it, but that's because I was really not interested in it in the slightest, but a friend said to at least check it out... and I ended up playing the single player for an hour or so and then deleted it.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Meanwhile Activision sold 5 million copies or so of MW2 on the first day....

PS : and the above poster is right, by bitching everytime there is a change on a PC game, all you will get is less and less hyped games released on the PC...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

And on the flip side, if you support the game, other devs will say "oh, people are willing to buy an inferior, overpriced product take it up the pooper from Activision, so let's do that too!" which in the long run, degrades the quality of the platform on the whole.

And ultimately, I'm sure people would rather have no Call of Duty than having it but taking 20 steps backwards, so long as it means sending a clear message that people really don't want to put up with shit like this.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
jefforange89 said:
And how many of those represent lost sales? You seem to be working under the assumption that one download = one lost sale, which is horribly false.

I can tell you that I downloaded it, but that's because I was really not interested in it in the slightest, but a friend said to at least check it out... and I ended up playing the single player for an hour or so and then deleted it.

That's what official demos are for.  CoD4 has one.... nice try justifying piracy, though. 

Well I signed it and I am not a pirate. Look at my game list. Every PC game there I own for real.

But there really are a lot of PC pirates. Seems harsh to say most of those are pirates. No evidence of that at all.