By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 200,000 PC Gamers Signed Petition Against MW2

Modding doesn't automatically mean pirating, neither does dedicated server. Who reasons this way knows very little about PC gaming. Communities give the best PC games more longevity, also thanks to modding and server programs. Without longevity and devoted communities some games very buggy at release but with high potential would have died before being given the opportunity to show their value. And the most devoted communities don't condone piracy, with the only exception of games not produced and sold anymore.

Edit: this said, I'm not so naïve to ignore the high percentage of piracy plaguing PC games, but piracy, modding and dedicated servers aren't the same thing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
jefforange89 said:
Slimebeast said:
lol at all these pirates whining about a game that they're stealing.

lol at sweeping and completely baseless generalizations

The large majority of PC gamers are pirates, especially guys that play shooters, so it's pretty safe to say that the majority of those who signed the petition are pirates.

Careful! I said almost the exact same thing in the thread announcing the change to MW2, and the entire forum jumped on me like hungry dingos.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Modding doesn't automatically mean pirating, neither does dedicated server. Who reasons this way knows very little about PC gaming. Communities give the best PC games more longevity, also thanks to modding and server programs. Without longevity and devoted communities some games very buggy at release but with high potential would have died before being given the opportunity to show their value. And the most devoted communities don't condone piracy, with the only exception of games not produced and sold anymore.

Though, of course, Activision doesn't want this game to last long - they want you to buy the 10 more CoD games that'll come out by generation's end rather than keep playing this one, it's more profitable to them.  They'd ultimately rather release a shitty, short-lived product than a classic, so that they can keep on milking you for money.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

^^
I understand the problem, but so much the worse for them, if I pay, I want something I like, and at least decent longevity is a game's indefeasible requirement for my tastes. And luckily I'm not alone.
Anyhow the problem is more for single player games, good multiplayer games are intrinsically long-lived, SW houses must live with it or give up and develop something else. A short-lived multiplayer game will gather a scarce and unenthusiastic community, killing itself very soon. They can try dirty tricks with renownned series once, at most twice, then reputation sinks and short-term and short-sighted greed will kill dishonest SW houses.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Why did this thread get derailed into piracy so quickly?

Dedicated servers are important to me, so I don't think I will buy any games which don't support them. Unless it's a game I want for the single player of course.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

200,000 people sign a petition.... and the world doesn't even care

Seriously, who cares. IW is obviously doing this to switch their development over to consoles where their latest games have really started to become popular and far outsold the PC versions. Piracy to blame....

Slimebeast said:

The large majority of PC gamers are pirates, especially guys that play shooters, so it's pretty safe to say that the majority of those who signed the petition are pirates.

These figures would tend to disagree with your assertion, especially as a fair percentage of those downloads would later translate into sales. There's a lot of piracy for sure, but nowhere near a majority of PC gamers are pirates.

Mudface said:
Slimebeast said:

These figures would tend to disagree with your assertion, especially as a fair percentage of those downloads would later translate into sales. There's a lot of piracy for sure, but nowhere near a majority of PC gamers are pirates.

But thats just ONE torrent site:  BitTorrent.  Pirates use uTorrent, Vuze, ArcticTorrent, Aria2, BitCommet, Bitflu, BitLet, BitThief, BitLord, CTorrent, Deluge, Halite, KTorrent, etc. etc.  That link you posted just goes to show that the majority of PC gamers ARE pirates because on just one Torrent Client you already have 830,000 downloads of CoD4.  I imagine the pirated copies of CoD4 actually far outnumber the legitimate ones!!!

Um, no, that's the total downloaded using the BitTorrent protocol, nothing to do with the client or site.

Another link.

Over 200,000 individuals DID NOT sign it. Look at the list and you'll see names appearsas much as 4 times. Lets not even consider how many are pirates. If you want a legitimate petition gooutside and make people sign it. A bunch of them will probably buy the game regardless.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*