By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Live Ban-Wave: Clever Way to Sell 1 Million Additional 360s in US/Canada?

Gh0st4lifE said:
theprof00 said:
ghost, read between the lines.

Why else would the "due date" be christmas?
Christmas is not only the time of year when people spend most of their discretionary funds, but also when most everybody has a small vacation.

How about getting rid of the parasites when the tubes most need it ?

Or getting more publicity and intensity just when everyone is getting informed about the great new holiday games ?

Or simply because it's just that time of year when pirates need to straighten out ?

Really, if you think you are reading between the lines and i am not you probably don't know I sell books for a living. Dumbass...

was that last part really needed?

1. I agree with this first reason.

2. Don't understand this one. Publicity and intensity? This is just a blog of someone whose friend works at a MS call center.

3. So you're saying MS is Santa, giving bad children lumps of coal?

Just remember that a reason is often a series of points. For example, I like t-shirts because they are simple, because they are cheap, because they are cool...etc etc.

But I'm interested to know why you think one legitimate point of the OP is cancelled out by an equally legitimate point by you. Both ideas can coexist and be the reasons. Maybe I asked for it, or maybe you asked for it when you said "this has nothing to do with sales". My final point is that maybe you should lay off the insults.

Around the Network
donsterydo2 said:
I wonder if it's true or not.

Anyone can write something like that on their blog.

it might be true it might not be.

But then again, how does one go about proving something like this?

This seems to be a fairly small detail. I know people who work for IBM and I know a lot of the problems their call centers deal with. Stuff that is rarely published. Of course I wouldn't put it on a blog, cuz i don't care for the attention, but almost everyone knows someone who works in a video-game related company.

Firstly - citation very much needed - that link you provided us is an attention seeking blogger, quite possibly yourself

1 million accounts =/= 1 million consoles

MS make a loss on the console in order to make a profit on accesories and games. A pirate who is buying a new 360 due to this event will not rebuy accesories, nor do they ever buy any games. Where does MS profit from this? (Besides the obvious motive of deterring people from buying a console and pirating on it)

i wish sony and nintendo would do this thing for their PSP and DS/Wii.
i don't know how Sony managed to make the Ps3 unhackable but they should do it with PSP.

scottie said:
Firstly - citation very much needed - that link you provided us is an attention seeking blogger, quite possibly yourself

MS make a loss on the console in order to make a profit on accesories and games. A pirate who is buying a new 360 due to this event will not rebuy accesories, nor do they ever buy any games. Where does MS profit from this? (Besides the obvious motive of deterring people from buying a console and pirating on it)

well that all depends if 360s are sold at a loss or at a profit.

Around the Network

Microsoft has plenty of motivation to ban pirates without assuming that they'll all rush out to buy new 360s.

The fact that many will is just gravy.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

scottie said:

btw the last time i checked i saw microsoft selling hardware at a profit like the xbox 360 and xbox 360 elite. :P

That's great for Microsoft, they will have an excellent holiday with a lot of people buying another x360.

I have a couple of friends that are buying new 360s as we speak...lol

This mentality does concern me slightly. What if with Windows 7 microsoft decides to ban all users not using a legally sold copy? Blocks them from internet, disables their hard disk...

I understand banning them from Xbox live...but disabling their hard drive for features is a bit much in my opinion.

PullusPardus said:
i wish sony and nintendo would do this thing for their PSP and DS/Wii.
i don't know how Sony managed to make the Ps3 unhackable but they should do it with PSP.

The PS3 isn't unhackable, it's just there are several reasons why there has been left effort put into breaking the security:

1.  The cost of the PS3 until recently was very high so there is less incentive for people to break their consoles trying to hack it.

2.  By allowing installations of Linux originally they took away a huge number of the hacking community that would have been interested in breaking the security down.

3.  The decision to go for Bluray means making copies would be expensive combined with the fact that new technology is harder to work around initially.

Ultimately the main inroads made into hacking consoles comes from the homebrew market who have never really focued on the PS3.  The actual security on both 360 and PS3 are excellent but Microsoft just left a glaring hole on their console in the DVD drive firmware, ironically this security hole was known to exist on the original xbox too but was never made public so Microsoft didn't know to fix the issue.  There is some hacks out there for the PS3 but not to play copied games yet thankfully.

I believe Sony have made the new PSP unhackable for now, time will tell of course.  Handhelds are far harder than home consoles to police of course if there is no requirement for them to go online so they can be checked.