By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: The Dumbest Guys in the Room

Dgc1808 said:
Xoj said:

Samsung service it's shit, and so are their products.
while the give the image of being better quality their products are built of cheap things that break in a month.

by experience my LCD only lasted a month, and they had to repair it, after repairs it still not picking channels like it should. and they don't want to exchange it.

sony it's offering 4 year warranty in my country for their LCDS not because they had huge problems but because they trust their products.

we had a sony for a while on the living room and still working a year after without a problem.

I'm not familiar with their service, but I love their products. Also, Samsung is a big part of SONY's LCD production. They make quite a large percentage of their panels I think.

Samsung makes a lot of the worlds LCD panels, just the panels, not the final product construction and design. Dell uses a lot of Samsung panels, I think Apple may be using them too. In side by side comparisons, the same exact samsung panel may have different features and visual quality depending on the rest of the product and its components.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dgc1808 said:
Xoj said:

while the give the image of being better quality their products are built of cheap things that break in a month.

by experience my LCD only lasted a month, and they had to repair it, after repairs it still not picking channels like it should. and they don't want to exchange it.

sony it's offering 4 year warranty in my country for their LCDS not because they had huge problems but because they trust their products.

we had a sony for a while on the living room and still working a year after without a problem.

I'm not familiar with their service, but I love their products. Also, Samsung is a big part of SONY's LCD production. They make quite a large percentage of their panels I think.

More like Sony copies their LCD's.

they don't make bad panels, but their consumer service it's below average.

my panel doesn't have a single death pixel yet, but it stopped tuning channels after a month on use, and after the repair everything turned green HDMI , component and cable.

it went for 3 check ups until they repaired it when i was asking for a exchange. and the guy was idiot to my cousin when she went to pick the TV.

To point 4:

If they charged anything for online I simply wouldn't have bought the PS3

I think it may become a good decision in a business perspective in the long term, anyway. The new $299 price, and then knowing that you won't have to pay for the online is very attractive for the customers now, as it makes the PS3 a cheaper choice than the 360. Just look at the sales for the last weeks.

The more customers they attract, the more games they will sell, and in the coming months, seeing how they don't ever have to worry about paying for the online service, will have more money available to buy some more games/movies, be it retail or online from PSN.

That money will eventually go to them.

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

GameAnalyser said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Its not about milking its about business sense, and Sony has very little apparently, its not about giving things away from free or not, its about doing things that don't hurt you.

Part of the reason the PS3 is doing so badly is they focused so heavily on Blu-ray, if they hadn't put it in and focused on games, they might be in second place instead of MS and making a profit, but by pushing it, they ended up in last and are still losing money on the PS3.

And giving away Netflix is all well and good for the consumer, but after killing your gaming division by sticking in Blu-Ray, now you're going to give it free competition by offering one of the things that is killing Blu-Ray, talk about really bad decisions.

The PSP Go was a horrible decision, yeah lets release a gimped version of our Handheld, for more than our other version, which can do the exact same stuff and more. Heck the lack of software on the PSP from day one has been a problem, for some reason Sony got so focused on the Hardware, that they forgot the PSP and PS3 need to be gaming systems first.

Now look at Nintendo, they've made tons of smart decisions, that even now, in a down year, they are still making mad amounts of Money, even MS, has finally made the Xbox profitable, and the thing is MS can actually afford to waste money, because they still make gobs of profits in their other divisions, Sony can't, as they are getting beat across the board.

Sony better get smart or the PS4 may be the last console from them.

Who said the  Sony's gaming division is killed thru Blue-Ray?...the previous Xbox which came with a Hard-Drive had lost billions summing up to 25-26 mn units sold world-wide and that didn't hurt the M$'s gaming division. Nintendo had bad times with Game-Cube as well. And now they are enjoying.

Well PS3 isn't out from the race, it's slowly climbing up in the H/W sales with the price-tag that remained the biggest constraint so far until September. The Console's sales have stabilised to 240-250K in World-wide Weekly and it definitely has the potential to pick up steam and end 2nd place this gen. You are just cherry-picking few instances to make the closest rival 360 look like the profitable and even bragging abt the M$ money which can keep the console still in the market. Nintendo without doubt are making insane money and all the credits goes to their marketing strategies.

Sony just needs PS3 selling as currently as it is(thanx to the Slim) and not PS4 to make up for the inital losses incurred thru production costs. Giving away free isn't a stupid strategy, Wii has it as well. It is a competition that's asking for the challenge.

It made the console $599, and since 360 shares much of its library, which console do you think most people preferred, until the recent price cut and Slim launch, the 360 was beating the PS3.

Yeah its climbing, until MS cuts another $100 off the 360, then either Sony loses even more money or goes back to third place.

The only way Sony can keep the PS3 selling like it is, is if they continue to lose money on the PS3, because that's the only way they'll be able to counter MS's future price cuts.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
GameAnalyser said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Its not about milking its about business sense, and Sony has very little apparently, its not about giving things away from free or not, its about doing things that don't hurt you.

Part of the reason the PS3 is doing so badly is they focused so heavily on Blu-ray, if they hadn't put it in and focused on games, they might be in second place instead of MS and making a profit, but by pushing it, they ended up in last and are still losing money on the PS3.

And giving away Netflix is all well and good for the consumer, but after killing your gaming division by sticking in Blu-Ray, now you're going to give it free competition by offering one of the things that is killing Blu-Ray, talk about really bad decisions.

The PSP Go was a horrible decision, yeah lets release a gimped version of our Handheld, for more than our other version, which can do the exact same stuff and more. Heck the lack of software on the PSP from day one has been a problem, for some reason Sony got so focused on the Hardware, that they forgot the PSP and PS3 need to be gaming systems first.

Now look at Nintendo, they've made tons of smart decisions, that even now, in a down year, they are still making mad amounts of Money, even MS, has finally made the Xbox profitable, and the thing is MS can actually afford to waste money, because they still make gobs of profits in their other divisions, Sony can't, as they are getting beat across the board.

Sony better get smart or the PS4 may be the last console from them.

Who said the  Sony's gaming division is killed thru Blue-Ray?...the previous Xbox which came with a Hard-Drive had lost billions summing up to 25-26 mn units sold world-wide and that didn't hurt the M$'s gaming division. Nintendo had bad times with Game-Cube as well. And now they are enjoying.

Well PS3 isn't out from the race, it's slowly climbing up in the H/W sales with the price-tag that remained the biggest constraint so far until September. The Console's sales have stabilised to 240-250K in World-wide Weekly and it definitely has the potential to pick up steam and end 2nd place this gen. You are just cherry-picking few instances to make the closest rival 360 look like the profitable and even bragging abt the M$ money which can keep the console still in the market. Nintendo without doubt are making insane money and all the credits goes to their marketing strategies.

Sony just needs PS3 selling as currently as it is(thanx to the Slim) and not PS4 to make up for the inital losses incurred thru production costs. Giving away free isn't a stupid strategy, Wii has it as well. It is a competition that's asking for the challenge.

It made the console $599, and since 360 shares much of its library, which console do you think most people preferred, until the recent price cut and Slim launch, the 360 was beating the PS3.

Yeah its climbing, until MS cuts another $100 off the 360, then either Sony loses even more money or goes back to third place.

The only way Sony can keep the PS3 selling like it is, is if they continue to lose money on the PS3, because that's the only way they'll be able to counter MS's future price cuts.

same goes for the  360, the only reason 360 was outselling it because it went for 2 price cuts in a year,  and there was 200$ difference.

yet PS3 still more expensive, lowest priced ps3 match elite price, highest pricest Ps3 it's 350$-399$.

and eve so ps3 it's vastly outselling the 360. the only think that microsoft can do its cutting the price arcade to 130$ and the elite to 230$ (or even less).

if they go higher than that they will what the ps3 it's doing now.

Xoj said:

You're joking right. Do you follow HDTV? Samsung is considered the leader in PQ/price ratio amongst top end HDTVs and their LN52B750 has destroyed the competition this year in the LCD market, and is already a shoe in for "best traditional LCD of all time" without even hitting its second wave of releases.

Sure, with Sammy you play the panel lottery, but you do that with EVERY brand. With Sony, you get worse PQ in most cases at a much higher price, so WTF are you talking about? Are you just using your personal experience when you make those statements, or what?

@OP

Excellent post. People don't like negative things being said about Sony, but everything you've said is not only well thought out, it's absolutely true, and even Sony would agree with it, I'm afraid.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Xoj said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dgc1808 said:
Xoj said:

More like Sony copies their LCD's.

they don't make bad panels, but their consumer service it's below average.

my panel doesn't have a single death pixel yet, but it stopped tuning channels after a month on use, and after the repair everything turned green HDMI , component and cable.

it went for 3 check ups until they repaired it when i was asking for a exchange. and the guy was idiot to my cousin when she went to pick the TV.

They don't make bad panels? They've been ahead of Sony in product quality for quite a few years and the lead continues.

Sidious said:

I was just reading about Samsung's record profits this past quarter and it begs the question, why is one of Sony's main competitors doing so well while Sony struggles in almost every market it's competing in?  Even with videogames they have to sell their system at a loss and with what must be the most expensive internal hardware just to compete.  It begs the question, do these guys even think about some of the boneheaded moves they have been making the past few years?

Here are just a few that simply make no sense:

1.  Adding Netflix to the Playstation 3 for free.  It's great that Sony seems to like to give almost everything away for free or at a loss but what was the point in pretty much handing over their marketshare leadership to Nintendo and losing so much money helping Blu-Ray if they're going to end up helping its competition for free?  Blu-Ray is one of the few bright spots for Sony, even though they're facing anger over Blu-Ray fees, so why in the World are they working against those adopting the format by supporting the competition?

2.  Ensuring that the PSP relaunch was a disaster by following the same idiotic pricing mindset that already proved to be a disaster with the Playstation 3.  This was supposed to be the year that the PSP would regain momentum in North America and Europe and now we're seeing amazing low sales of both the PSP Go and PSP games.   Just looking at Gran Turismo PSP sales must be driving some third-parties that believed in the new launch to just shake their heads and wonder how they were taken yet again by Sony.

3.  Stating that they purposely made the Playstation 3 harder to develop for.  Was anyone at Sony not drinking the Kool-Aid long enough to realize that making it more costly and longer to develop for would also affect their own first-party game development?  Why didn't they just go with more traditional hardware that would have been cheaper and easier to develop for?  It's hard to imagine how many hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars could have been saved in the process.

4.  Giving away online for free.  Sure it made a good bullet point against Microsoft but one has to wonder if they understand how much money they have thrown away because of it.  It's much harder to make people pay for something after they're used to having it for free.  Also what happens years from now when the Playstation 3 reaches a price point where people that only buy used games pick it up and Sony still has to support them?

5.  Allowing both Nintendo and Microsoft to be in the media spotlight over their motion control schemes while Sony pitches theirs to the same crowd that already bought the Playstation 3.  When was the last time you heard anyone but the gaming media talk about Sony's motion controller?  It's supposed to be coming out in six months and it has the buzz of non-alcoholic beer.  Does someone at Sony think that Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was reponsible for that console's success because that it the only game we're even hearing much of anything about.

I could go on about their rapidly growing losses in cell phones or their amazing loss of the portable music market to Apple but since this is a website devoted to videogames it goes a little too off-topic.  For those Sony supports and even other out there, is there a method to Sony's madness, and if not what is going on with them?

3.  The Cell was designed so that the PS3 could be a great Blu-ray player.  Sony knows that winning this market, and growing it will pay out in the end.  I agree that it is a cost/benefit calculation, but i'm not so sure that this is an overwhelming black mark for sony if it is indeed a black mark as the movie industry is just too big.  Sony is getting more and more revenue from the blu ray royalties and it may very well help them over the long term.   Keep in mind that even if this is a black mark, that the PS4 will also use the cell, and it won't be difficult to do the BC thing, which will help the PS3 in terms of the Ps3's lifespan

1&4. The PS3 is way behind the 360 in america which is where the overwhelming bulk of online revenue will come from.  If sony didnt give it away for free, nobody would use the PSN lol, fortunately though, things are changing and it appears that the PS3 is coming back.  We will have to see though.

5.  I'm assuming that Natal is going to be an overhyped and overblown matter, mostly marketing.  I don't see how an addon so late in the 360's lifetime is going to do anything for it.  I'm also going to assume that the PS3's motion control scheme will actually work out somewhat better, because it won't be based on an expensive technology.  I'm sorry but MS should have put its money elsewhere, i'm thinking that a portable that MS handheld could leverage its XBL service with would give them a better return.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Xoj said:

You're joking right. Do you follow HDTV? Samsung is considered the leader in PQ/price ratio amongst top end HDTVs and their LN52B750 has destroyed the competition this year in the LCD market, and is already a shoe in for "best traditional LCD of all time" without even hitting its second wave of releases.

Sure, with Sammy you play the panel lottery, but you do that with EVERY brand. With Sony, you get worse PQ in most cases at a much higher price, so WTF are you talking about? Are you just using your personal experience when you make those statements, or what?

@OP

Excellent post. People don't like negative things being said about Sony, but everything you've said is not only well thought out, it's absolutely true, and even Sony would agree with it, I'm afraid.

QFT. Some people just cannot take the truth.