By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - CVG loves NSMB Single player, says multiplayer is frustrating

RolStoppable said:
I expect this game to be just like Mario Kart Wii.

Early on people will play with me, but after getting owned hard, they stop playing. Kids and girls are so lame.

Well get out and find yourself a real man. (who plays Mario well)

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

When I'll play this game with my friends I'll be mean to the ones that come to my house to "explain" x stuff of 2 minutes and then they play with me all day (making me get a 7.5/9 in a test, worst day ever), but for unknown reasons I'll let my best friend win like in mario kart and smash bros to make him feel more superior than he feels now (he's
egocentric)

The writer sounds kind of whiney. I think he's secretly the one who laggs the group, and he feels bad, so he takes revenge and talks bad about the multiplayer. :P

Well Mario games and even Nintendo as a whole have always been about having a great single player experience. Online has never been their top concern and as a result has suffered. But i cant wait to play this game i loved the old 2d mario games!

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

1337 Gamer said:
Well Mario games and even Nintendo as a whole have always been about having a great single player experience. Online has never been their top concern and as a result has suffered. But i cant wait to play this game i loved the old 2d mario games!

Hmm...I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Starfox 64, etc have all been games built around having a robust multiplayer experience. Hell, the N64 itself was designed around pushing solid multiplayer aspects in many of their core franchises.

Nintendo just hasn't taken that philosophy into a robust online experience yet.

Around the Network

I... don't see this as being a problem.

When playing LBP with my friends, anyone that would go too far ahead (someone speeding through the level) would get yelled at. Of course, the same can be said about someone lagging the pack, but here they have an option to bubble up.

Most likely,I will play this game with one to two other people tops.

I think with 2 players, it will be crazy fun.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Euphoria14 said:
I don't agree that the multiplayer stuff is expected. It should be that if someone is lagging behind too far then they go off the screen, then just like in LittleBigPlanet, if they don't get back on screen in time that means "Oh well, you dead now".

That way everyone else can carry on. It is no fun hitting a wall in progression because someone else is too slow. If this game was online it would be a nightmare. All it would take is one person leaving for a bathroom break to frustrate everyone else with stationary gameplay for minutes at a time.

Very bad in my opinion. Could have easily been avoided.

If I remember right IGN said thats what happens, they're talking about it slows down because unlike LBP Mario Bros level design is usually made where you can run full speed through a lot of obsticles while LBP is a bit slower paced.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Euphoria14 said:
I don't agree that the multiplayer stuff is expected. It should be that if someone is lagging behind too far then they go off the screen, then just like in LittleBigPlanet, if they don't get back on screen in time that means "Oh well, you dead now".

That way everyone else can carry on. It is no fun hitting a wall in progression because someone else is too slow. If this game was online it would be a nightmare. All it would take is one person leaving for a bathroom break to frustrate everyone else with stationary gameplay for minutes at a time.

Very bad in my opinion. Could have easily been avoided.

If I remember right IGN said thats what happens, they're talking about it slows down because unlike LBP Mario Bros level design is usually made where you can run full speed through a lot of obsticles while LBP is a bit slower paced.

Oh alright. Glad to see that I understood it wrong.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The Calamity of multiplayer is what I'm after. I don't need to get through it fast, I need to alternately assist and torture my girlfriend.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.