By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - President of Gearbox questions Valves lack of PS3 support.

@XOJ

dude that was back in 2007, everyone was saying PS3 sucked back then and they should just start all over, you got any 2008 or 2009 articles?

Around the Network
Xoj said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
One thing I'm surprised about, is that PS3 owners and fans actually hate on Valve over this.

They don't want your business, don't give it to them. Why also be spiteful?

...and make no mistake, with comments like the ones I've read from Valve....they don't want PS3fandom business. Otherwise they would have spun those opinions in a little less honest way.

They certainly don't need your business.

They do, however, make some of the best games in the industry. There's just nothing left to say. I wish Nintendo would change their mind about the PS3 and make us a HD Zelda game, but I doubt that'll happen. :P Why criticize a good gaming developer because you're loyal to what...a platform? You know, you can't actually play one of those without a game in it.

they don't hate it over that, but the bunch PR crap they say. there is difference saying they don't make ps3 because they have deal with microsoft or something like it.

that saying bunch of lies like ps3 is not able to run it games when their games run on relative average hardware on PC, then labeling  the orange box ps3 as the stepchild version.

Did they say the PS3 couldn't run their games, or that they wouldn't be able to optimize them well enough to stand up to their level of accepted quality, given certain constraints, like speculatively, time.

Also, I thought TOB on the PS3 was the worst version, with lag and graphical hitches, due to it not being ported by Valve?

I'm asking. I never knew they said the PS3 wasn't powerful enough to run their games. When did they say that?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Dont forget this

"I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy."

OH NOES HES ANTI 360 TIME TO BURN VALUE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!111

Seriously, The man knows what hes talking about.

Garnett said:

Dont forget this

"I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy."

OH NOES HES ANTI 360 TIME TO BURN VALUE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!111

Seriously, The man knows what hes talking about.

Yeah.. where are those Valve shooters on the Wii?

Maybe the average Wii owner isn't old enough for them yet?  I know that sounds harsh (on the Wii), but lets face it -- there's almost insurmountable evidence now that the Wii demographic is so blue ocean that it doesn't attract a serious number of shooter players.

So.. I have to question what he means by "installed base"... because he can't be talking "shooter demographics", at this point.  Given that Valve makes, well, shooters, I would wager that your quote is grossly out of context, or just plain another example of Valve's outrageous statements.

Procrastinato said:
Wut?

I like Valve. L4D rocks. I play it all the time.

PS3 also rocks, and is not hard to develop for. Why they talk trash about it is a mystery. Could be that they are just dumb%^$es, from a tech perspective, and their egos don't allow them to admit it, or opinionated fanboys (which is kinda the same thing). That or moneyhatting... lots of possibilities. I can't think of a "good" reason though. Not one.

I think the PS3 IS hard to develop for. Even the Gearbox guy said that. He said it was a challenge, and fun.

I would present most multiplats over the past few years, as proof, and several over the past few months, along with the fact that the PS3 has honestly much better hardware than the 360, but has rarely been able to put out equal multiplats, much less superior.

Or are you implying that every developer has, by coincidence, been lazy and sloth when developer their PS3 versions of their multiplats, and that the PS3 is as simple to develop for as the notoriously easy to develop for 360 and PC platforms?

Of course it's more difficult to develop for. Developers have finally developed toolsets and learned the console enough so they can develop well on the console, but it certainly wasn't as easy to develop for as the 360, a few years ago when that knowledge didn't exist.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Boneitis said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Valve has not excuse not to develop for PS3 anymore. And using "the PS3 is hard to develop for" hasn't been valid since like 2007. Infinity Ward proved you can make a game on PS3 just as good when Modern Warfare was identical to the 360 version.

And you also can't say its not worth the effort. There's nearly 26 million PS3 owners now and could be as many as 28-30 million by Jan 1. Its only 7 million behind the 360 and that gap is shrinking every week.

2007 you say? GTA4, Fallout 3, Bayonetta, and other games have been deemed inferior to the 360 ports. I believe its also more expensive to make PS3 games given its more difficult to program for.

The PS3 just had a huge price drop so ofcourse the gap is shrinking. Bear in mind MS has yet to even respond, sales are still strong, and they are making profits.

I never heard GTA4 was inferior but the other 2 yes. I'm saying its possible to make PS3 ports as good as 360 games it just takes some effort, something a lot of devs don't seem to want to put in. Any time a multiplat game is worse on PS3 then 360 I'm going to assume the developers are either bad or lazy. 

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Procrastinato said:
Wut?

I like Valve. L4D rocks. I play it all the time.

PS3 also rocks, and is not hard to develop for. Why they talk trash about it is a mystery. Could be that they are just dumb%^$es, from a tech perspective, and their egos don't allow them to admit it, or opinionated fanboys (which is kinda the same thing). That or moneyhatting... lots of possibilities. I can't think of a "good" reason though. Not one.

I think the PS3 IS hard to develop for. Even the Gearbox guy said that. He said it was a challenge, and fun.

I would present most multiplats over the past few years, as proof, and several over the past few months, along with the fact that the PS3 has honestly much better hardware than the 360, but has rarely been able to put out equal multiplats, much less superior.

Or are you implying that every developer has, by coincidence, been lazy and sloth when developer their PS3 versions of their multiplats, and that the PS3 is as simple to develop for as the notoriously easy to develop for 360 and PC platforms?

Of course it's more difficult to develop for. Developers have finally developed toolsets and learned the console enough so they can develop well on the console, but it certainly wasn't as easy to develop for as the 360, a few years ago when that knowledge didn't exist.

"More difficult" is relative.  Don't make me explain that, man.

It just isn't that hard for a skilled engineer who can read SDK docs.  PS3 ports used to be cruddy because it was EASY to port games to the PS3, as long as you took a quality hit.  Thus publishers paid for the cheap port, and PS3 gamers suffered, because publishers believed they could get more bang/buck for a quickie.

The reason devs have made shoddy ports to the PS3 is because they weren't given the money to port the game -- which would have also hurt the 360 version, had it not been the lead SKU on so many crossplat games.  Devs are not EVER lazy.  Even Valve's engineers, who, btw, are not Gabe Newell.  Trust me on this one.

@procasintato

Value ment install base by number of console sold, not how old the average gamer is. The ONLY reason why Value games are on 360 is cause 360 is just as easy to program for as the PC is, simple port, thats why L4D2 has meh graphics and isnt 60 fps nor 1080p.

Garnett said:

@XOJ

dude that was back in 2007, everyone was saying PS3 sucked back then and they should just start all over, you got any 2008 or 2009 articles?

don't move the goals, he did trash talked ps3, and they keep saying the same about the ps3 for the past year, it just changed from disaster to it's hard to develop for.

and i didn't see anyone going as far as a disaster, they had to redo it etc, u asked for when they talked trash i delivered.

CGI-Quality said:

Aren't you the same individual who knocked Insomniac for not "supporting other platforms"? With that said, I don't disagree that people should get off Valve's case, in fact I think it's rather silly to complain about. But don'yt say that PS3 owners are spiteful when similar complaints have come from you...

This isn't an attack, but just an observation. I agree with your point 100%, but also hope to not see similar complaints from you in the future.

Actually I was knocking Insomniac because I got them confused with Naughty Dog. Get my past screwups right! lol

Also, why must we continually bring up my past misakes.

Anyway, yeah, if you don't like a company, don't give them your business.

NO NO, NO NO NO.