By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - President of Gearbox questions Valves lack of PS3 support.

jesus kung fu magic said:
disolitude said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
kaz said that valve is best dev of all time (opinion)

blood _ tears disagree(opinion)

you came questioning blood _ tears his opinion then adding some ps3 fanboi insult that seems directed at him just cause valve doesn't like ps3.

Valve , hate em or love em, are a top 3 developer in any gamers head......the accomplishments they have made are nothing short of amazing and as such are definetely high up the totem of developers.

Naughty Dog isnt , they may be your favourite but they are far from the best as long as Valve , Blizzard , Bungie , Epic , Kojima Productions , Bioware , Nintendo etc. exist.

Let me give you an analogy , The Toronto Raptors are my favourite team but they are far from the best team in the NBA.

Damn, I live in toronto and even I don't like the raptors...

.......youve angered the J man.....your not a true Torontonian like the J man (BTW are you watching the game right now?)

lol, nah playing Forza. Anything worthwhile happening? Is Vicne Carter being booed? Those are always fun games...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
disolitude said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
kaz said that valve is best dev of all time (opinion)

blood _ tears disagree(opinion)

you came questioning blood _ tears his opinion then adding some ps3 fanboi insult that seems directed at him just cause valve doesn't like ps3.

Valve , hate em or love em, are a top 3 developer in any gamers head......the accomplishments they have made are nothing short of amazing and as such are definetely high up the totem of developers.

Naughty Dog isnt , they may be your favourite but they are far from the best as long as Valve , Blizzard , Bungie , Epic , Kojima Productions , Bioware , Nintendo etc. exist.

Let me give you an analogy , The Toronto Raptors are my favourite team but they are far from the best team in the NBA.

Damn, I live in toronto and even I don't like the raptors...

.......youve angered the J man.....your not a true Torontonian like the J man (BTW are you watching the game right now?)

lol, nah playing Forza. Anything worthwhile happening? Is Vicne Carter being booed? Those are always fun games...

We are playing Detroit not Orlando......and we are whooping ASS!!!!!

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

placidcasual said:
As time goes on Valve will need PS3 more than PS3 needs Valve. They've well and truly shot themselves in the foot with their self important stance.

There may be a time in the near future when Valve decides that making games for the PS3 will be worth their effort, but I highly doubt there will ever be a time when Valve will need the PS3 for really anything.

Chairman-Mao said:
Valve has not excuse not to develop for PS3 anymore. And using "the PS3 is hard to develop for" hasn't been valid since like 2007. Infinity Ward proved you can make a game on PS3 just as good when Modern Warfare was identical to the 360 version.

And you also can't say its not worth the effort. There's nearly 26 million PS3 owners now and could be as many as 28-30 million by Jan 1. Its only 7 million behind the 360 and that gap is shrinking every week.

2007 you say? GTA4, Fallout 3, Bayonetta, and other games have been deemed inferior to the 360 ports. I believe its also more expensive to make PS3 games given its more difficult to program for.

The PS3 just had a huge price drop so ofcourse the gap is shrinking. Bear in mind MS has yet to even respond, sales are still strong, and they are making profits.

thismeintiel said:
I personally couldn't care less if Valve ports any of it's games to the PS3. They may be fun, but I will not pretend they are fun + good visuals, like so many PS3 gamess I already own. Any experience I could find in their game, I can just find in any other game as well.

What I do care about is MS and Valve's PR plan. It's goes like this, it doesn't matter if we put out games with little thought or effort, we don't focus on pushing our own stuff anyway. What we'll do is bash the competition when they have successes, and immature fanboys will join us and defend us.

BTW MS, when is that graphical powerhouse of a game coming out that you said would destroy Killzone 2 as the leader of graphics? Seriously, just STFU and worry about your own business.

Why do you care so much about company PR, let alone single out MS and Valve.  Sony, Nintendo, and many other companies have done their own share of bashing other companies, products, etc...

Around the Network
Capulous said:
thismeintiel said:
I personally couldn't care less if Valve ports any of it's games to the PS3. They may be fun, but I will not pretend they are fun + good visuals, like so many PS3 gamess I already own. Any experience I could find in their game, I can just find in any other game as well.

What I do care about is MS and Valve's PR plan. It's goes like this, it doesn't matter if we put out games with little thought or effort, we don't focus on pushing our own stuff anyway. What we'll do is bash the competition when they have successes, and immature fanboys will join us and defend us.

BTW MS, when is that graphical powerhouse of a game coming out that you said would destroy Killzone 2 as the leader of graphics? Seriously, just STFU and worry about your own business.

Why do you care so much about company PR, let alone single out MS and Valve.  Sony, Nintendo, and many other companies have done their own share of bashing other companies, products, etc...

On that note, did you guys know every game that's ever been on the PS3 can't be on the 360?

Kasz216 said:
AlJensen said:
I don't have a problem with Valve, they can do whatever they want it's their games (Big Fan of Portal, own the orange box PS3 and Computer), they however broke an important rule, and that is "You Don't Shit Where You Eat". When you don't support your own game it shows how much you value those gamers.

They do support their own games.

The 360 versions are having issues because MS demands they charge for their updates... and as for PS3. 

It's for EA to support the PS3 version.  Not valve.

If the community wants support for PS3 Orange box, they should bug EA about it and tell them to contact Valve.

Valve should have ported the game for the PS3, not EA. Thats not supporting your game. But whatever their choice

AlJensen said:
Kasz216 said:
AlJensen said:
I don't have a problem with Valve, they can do whatever they want it's their games (Big Fan of Portal, own the orange box PS3 and Computer), they however broke an important rule, and that is "You Don't Shit Where You Eat". When you don't support your own game it shows how much you value those gamers.

The 360 versions are having issues because MS demands they charge for their updates... and as for PS3. 

If the community wants support for PS3 Orange box, they should bug EA about it and tell them to contact Valve.

Valve should have ported the game for the PS3, not EA. Thats not supporting your game. But whatever their choice

How?  How is not porting their game to PS3 not supporting their game?

Hey, nobody ported the game to Wii... are they "not supporting" their game their too?

Guess the developers of Insominiac aren't supporting their game either.

Kasz216 said:
AlJensen said:
Kasz216 said:
AlJensen said:

Hey, nobody ported the game to Wii... are they "not supporting" their game their too?

Because they threw it off to a second party to do it, they don't release mods or patches to PS3 version because they had EA do the game.

AlJensen said:
Kasz216 said:
AlJensen said:
Kasz216 said:
AlJensen said:

Because they threw it off to a second party to do it, they don't release mods or patches to PS3 version because they had EA do the game.

I'd rather have them spend their manpower working on the Source engine, CUDA/next gen graphics and HL2: Eps. 3 then to waste their time developing for an "difficult" platform.  Developers aren't being lazy if they don't want to waste their time with porting to the PS3, there is always an opportunity cost and time/money tradeoff compared to sales.  I'm sure the bean counters did the math, x number of sales on PS3 vs. salary*manhours it would take to port, and it probably came up short.