By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money could Sony make from Gran Turismo 5?

zaMy said:
lets see. most GT games sell 10m.
costs $70 for GT5.
$70 x 10 000 000 = $700 000 000 So they COULD make this much if it sells 10 m

but I think its more likely that the game will sell 5mill. so
$70 x 5 000 000 = $35 000 000

except the 35 million wont all be profit of course

you made some wrong calculations.It should be 350m not 35m

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
headshot91 said:
Carl2291 said:
headshot91 said:
Xoj said:
headshot91 said:

8 million? You have got to be joking. You are saying that a game coming out in spring, with a console userbase less than a third of the ps2's, can sell similiar numbers to GT4? Its "minimum" will be somewhere between 4-5 million, and I'm not sure what time period you are referring to either, LTD i suspect. To answer others above me, SONY would not get $60 for each game, it actuality it would probably be closer to half that. Factor in a 100+ development team and 4+ years of development PLUS a massive advertising spree and I think most of the users estimates of SONY's profits are overestimated. It will make a profit, just not as big as gt3/gt4 etc.

Yes. halo 3 did it' and it's less popular than GT worlwide.

umm, on current gen consoles, halo is more popular than GT...

GT5: Prologue > Halo Wars

Also, @ The red. What happened with MGS4 > MGS3, for example?

What? How about Halo 3 and eventually  Halo ODST> Gt5:P?

Also at your red, yes MGS3 sold more than MGS4, but MGS is more of a niche game than GT and came out at a good time, trust me GT5 will NOT outsell GT4,GT3. 8 million as a minimum is just too high.

I was giving you an example of how it can't be proven, because we don't have a full GT game this gen on PS3. We have the Prologue to the main game.
It's really daft to compare Halo and GT and say which one is bigger until both have the main game released.

How do you know it's too high? Do you have a time machine? No main GT game has sold under 9 Million copies. I personally don't expect it to be any different here.

No, if you want to be like that, I didn't bring up halo, xoj did...

Also, do you have a time machine? How do you know it will sell 9 million or more? You are comparing GT3 and 4 with a console userbase of 133 million with one of 26 million. GTA is a bigger series on ps2 than GT- san andreas etc- and its sequel, arguably one of the most hyped games this gen, has sold 5.9 million.The PS3's highest selling game. So youre saying a minimum of 8 million? Nope.

Four dollers and eighty three cents

headshot91 said:
Carl2291 said:

I was giving you an example of how it can't be proven, because we don't have a full GT game this gen on PS3. We have the Prologue to the main game.
It's really daft to compare Halo and GT and say which one is bigger until both have the main game released.

How do you know it's too high? Do you have a time machine? No main GT game has sold under 9 Million copies. I personally don't expect it to be any different here.

No, if youy want to be like that, I didn't bring up halo, xoj did...

Also, do you have a time machine? How do you know it will sell 9 million or more? You are comparing GT3 and 4 with a console userbase of 133 million with one of 26 million. GTA is a bigger series on ps2 than GT- san andreas etc- and its sequel, arguably one of the most hyped games this gen, has sold 5.9 million.The PS3's highest selling game. So youre saying a minimum of 8 million? Nope.

I wasn't targetting it at you specifically, just showing how it is daft to compare.

I dont. I just expect it to. You think it has no chance at all and made your opinion seem like fact.

GTA4 was multiplat from the get-go. If it was timed/exclusive to PS3 its sales would likely be much higher than what they are now, probably about 8-9 Million.

Explain to me again why you think GT5 wont have a minimum of 8 Million...

headshot91 said:
Carl2291 said:
headshot91 said:
Carl2291 said:
headshot91 said:
Xoj said:
headshot91 said:

8 million? You have got to be joking. You are saying that a game coming out in spring, with a console userbase less than a third of the ps2's, can sell similiar numbers to GT4? Its "minimum" will be somewhere between 4-5 million, and I'm not sure what time period you are referring to either, LTD i suspect. To answer others above me, SONY would not get $60 for each game, it actuality it would probably be closer to half that. Factor in a 100+ development team and 4+ years of development PLUS a massive advertising spree and I think most of the users estimates of SONY's profits are overestimated. It will make a profit, just not as big as gt3/gt4 etc.

Yes. halo 3 did it' and it's less popular than GT worlwide.

umm, on current gen consoles, halo is more popular than GT...

GT5: Prologue > Halo Wars

Also, @ The red. What happened with MGS4 > MGS3, for example?

What? How about Halo 3 and eventually  Halo ODST> Gt5:P?

Also at your red, yes MGS3 sold more than MGS4, but MGS is more of a niche game than GT and came out at a good time, trust me GT5 will NOT outsell GT4,GT3. 8 million as a minimum is just too high.

No, if you want to be like that, I didn't bring up halo, xoj did...

Yes because GT3 released to a bigger userbase than GT4.....

Around the Network

Although it's sure to make tons of money, I think it's daft to say everything Sony will make from it the day the game comes out will be pure profits, like some people here have suggested.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

@Jercotter
Totally irrelevant.We are comparing this gen to last gen. When did i compare GT3 to GT4?

Cheebee said:
Although it's sure to make tons of money, I think it's daft to say everything Sony will make from it the day the game comes out will be pure profits, like some people here have suggested.

So you think GT5:P hasn't covered the costs of development?

headshot91 said:
@Jercotter
Totally irrelevant.We are comparing this gen to last gen. When did i compare GT3 to GT4?

You were comparing userbases. I am also comparing userbases. 

JerCotter7 said:
Cheebee said:

So you think GT5:P hasn't covered the costs of development?

I'm just saying that there will be major costs involved with tons of things apart from just the development costs. Advertising, to name one thing. This game will be advertised like crazy, worldwide. That alone will cost tens of millions.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046