By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money could Sony make from Gran Turismo 5?

^^
1) You don't know how many units PS3 will sell in the next years.
2) User base at launch time helps a lot.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
^^
1) You don't know how many units PS3 will sell in the next years.
2) User base at launch time helps a lot.

1) Ps3 will not come close to ps2 userbase in the next 3-4 years (by which time the next GT might be out)

2) GT is renowned for its legs, so while starting userbase counts for something, the ps2 versions will be the best selling GT games.

^^
Yes, most probably in the next 3-4 years PS3 won't reach the same user base PS2 reached in the same time span. In favour of GT5 there are huge sales of a simple demo, long waiting and current PS3 sales performance, very good, as it stayed high even during dead weeks and competitors' big launches weeks. We'll have to wait and see, as there are too many factors in favourr of one or the other to really be sure.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
^^
Yes, most probably in the next 3-4 years PS3 won't reach the same user base PS2 reached in the same time span. In favour of GT5 there are huge sales of a simple demo, long waiting and current PS3 sales performance, very good, as it stayed high even during dead weeks and competitors' big launches weeks. We'll have to wait and see, as there are too many factors in favourr of one or the other to really be sure.

Thank you for having a cool, mature debate with me, on a relevant topic, unlike some other people ;).

I'm not arguing GT5 won't sell well, of course it will, i just dont think it will sell as well as the ps2 games did e.g. 14 mill+, e.g. some people saying it will have a minimum of 8 mill. Multi million seller definitely, ps2 gt beater? No.

headshot91 said:
JerCotter7 said:
headshot91 said:
JerCotter7 said:
headshot91 said:
JerCotter7 said:
headshot91 said:
JerCotter7 said:
headshot91 said:
@Jercotter
Totally irrelevant.We are comparing this gen to last gen. When did i compare GT3 to GT4?

You were comparing userbases. I am also comparing userbases. 

I was explaining how a change in userbase explains the differences in sales between possible GT5 sales and GT3 etc. You are just talking nonsense, please stop.

I was just explaining how a change in userbase DOESN'T explain the differences in sales between GT4 sales and GT3 etc. You are just talking nonsense, please stop.

Firstly, you compared GT4 to GT3. We are not talking about this, and the thread is not about this directly or indirectly. Secondly, a change in userbase WILL affect sales of a game, please get that into your head. Thirdly, stop copying my style of arguement, as you are just making yourself look silly. OK?

I'm not copying anything. I am just showing the flaws in your argument. Somehow you can't get that into your head. And if a change in userbase affects sales so much why did GT4 sell less than GT3. Now stop getting mad because you can't get your point across because it is wrong. Bye. ;)

We are talking about the ps3 userbase to the ps2 userbase. You started this by comparing a ps2 game to a ps2 game. We are NOT talking about this. Please start talking about relevant points and calm down before your head explodes... Jeez

Exactly. We are comparing a smaller userbase to a bigger userbase. Yet the smaller userbase sold more games. Haha how don't you get that. 

Ok, I'm going to say this very slowly, so you can understand.

Your second sentence doesn't make sense, smaller userbase sold more games? GT sold more on ps2,

Ready? Ok. same with vetteman. Gt3 launched when the ps2 userbase was smaller than the ps3's. Of course that is correct. It is a fact. However, over the next 4 years the ps2 sold an additional 120 million consoles. The ps3 has sold less than a quarter of this. GT3 and GT4  had good legs because of the ps2s huge userbase.Getting back to the minimum GT5 sales, which this debate is all about, I said a minimum of 8 million is ludicrous, yet many people think otherwise? That is where you are not getting it. I am saying GT5 will sell less than GT3/GT4. YOU see?

He meant smaller starting userbase, so yes it makes perfect sense.  I'll only explain once, since you dont seem to understand userbases.  When GT3 launched it only had 11M, the PS2 then went on to sell and additional 75M consoles in the next 4 years.  Now the PS3 will probably be at about 31-33M consoles when GT5 launches. That would mean that to meet the same requirements GT3 had, it would only have to sell another 52M conoles over the next 4 years.  Now it probably wont sell that many consoles, but no one here is saying that GT5 will sell as much as GT3 did, which sold 15M.  Most people are saying 8-10M. To think that isnt a possibilty when it will have triple the starting userbase and the ps3 will have to average 13M consoles a year over the next 4 years, is completely ridiculous.  Also, since there was a another Gran Turismo game that launched 3.5 years later,  I dont know how you can argue that GT3 was selling to the entire 130+M userbase.

Also on what planet is 8M higher than 15M or even 10M?  Since that is what would make it a PS2 GT beater according to you. 

Around the Network

@vetteman
cant b bothered to explain to you.
look at my previous post.

headshot91 said:
@vetteman

I did, and they explain nothing.  You know nothing of the userbases you are trying to discuss, that is why you quit arguing

darthdevidem01 said:
thiiiiiiis much

{stretches hand}

in all seriousity

this will be a BIG MONEYMAKER for them....it'll probably be the most profitable HD game/most money making HD game, right behind the MW's & GTA's

you forgut halo.

Vetteman94 said:
headshot91 said:
@vetteman

I did, and they explain nothing.  You know nothing of the userbases you are trying to discuss, that is why you quit arguing

I "quit arguing" because the first poster was being irrelevant and i got my point across to the second poster. There was no need for me to contine arguing, you just want to go on.

I will say this one more time, because we have gotten COMPLETELY off topic,

Gran Turismo will sell a lot. It won't have an 8 million minimum in the 2-3 years before the next game comes out orsomething similiar  e.g. ltd. im not sure what some peoples time period was. It will make money, though not as much as the ps2 games. it wont sell hige numbers because of the size userbases. Let this thread die, its been deralied enough.

elticker said:
darthdevidem01 said:
thiiiiiiis much

{stretches hand}

in all seriousity

this will be a BIG MONEYMAKER for them....it'll probably be the most profitable HD game/most money making HD game, right behind the MW's & GTA's

you forgut halo.

and probablly gears