By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NEW FF13 music (FF music RETURNS to Greatness - Chocobo's Theme & MORE)!

Ahh... yes, continuing the tradition of great FF music. Although some of those older songs really make me feel nostalgic for those games.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
Helios said:
pastro243 said:
Naum said:
You actually think this is good??

I think it sucks....

bahh miss the old SNES/PS1/PS2/N64 days.... then atleast they could do great music.

You should check your ears then, maybe the music in old VG appealed more to you because maybe you cant apreciate harmonies as much as simple melodies, so the problem is you.

It seems like people go more for poppy sounds and "funny" melodies in VG than orchestrated music with good sound quality and well composed as this one.

Yet, for many composers, a well arranged, sophisticated orchestral soundtrack does not come at the expence of a strong melodic presence. Joe Hisaishi has already been mentioned in this thread, and I could list a wealth of others, both within the video game industry and without. Hell, even Wagner himself did not forego melody. So why, exactly, should Hamazu?

And I didnt say there is a reason to let melodies out, I just said people tend to say these songs suck because they cant find the melody in them and prefer cell phone ring tone like music to this.

Reality is that melodies and harmonies in a song make it richer, and I can find both in these. The chocobo theme didnt sound like elevator music and saying the other songs are "meh" or typical orchestrated music is like when people that listen to britney spears say every metal song sounds the same, a guitar and a guy hitting the drums fast.

I will admit these pieces are not "bad". It is merely the general stylistic trend that I lament. For example, you say you found a melody in the first section of the second theme, but I very much doubt that considering it is just a chord progression. The second section is much better, but the lack of melodic development (the melody only plays once and has little to no recurring motifs) means I'm probably not going to remember it very well.

Do you disagree? Perhaps my musical ear and palette simply aren't as refined as yours, but I still know I would prefer something by, say, Yasunori Mitsuda or James Horner (not Titanic).

Helios said:
pastro243 said:
Helios said:
pastro243 said:
Naum said:
You actually think this is good??

I think it sucks....

bahh miss the old SNES/PS1/PS2/N64 days.... then atleast they could do great music.

You should check your ears then, maybe the music in old VG appealed more to you because maybe you cant apreciate harmonies as much as simple melodies, so the problem is you.

It seems like people go more for poppy sounds and "funny" melodies in VG than orchestrated music with good sound quality and well composed as this one.

Yet, for many composers, a well arranged, sophisticated orchestral soundtrack does not come at the expence of a strong melodic presence. Joe Hisaishi has already been mentioned in this thread, and I could list a wealth of others, both within the video game industry and without. Hell, even Wagner himself did not forego melody. So why, exactly, should Hamazu?

And I didnt say there is a reason to let melodies out, I just said people tend to say these songs suck because they cant find the melody in them and prefer cell phone ring tone like music to this.

Reality is that melodies and harmonies in a song make it richer, and I can find both in these. The chocobo theme didnt sound like elevator music and saying the other songs are "meh" or typical orchestrated music is like when people that listen to britney spears say every metal song sounds the same, a guitar and a guy hitting the drums fast.

I will admit these pieces are not "bad". It is merely the general stylistic trend that I lament. For example, you say you found a melody in the first section of the second theme, but I very much doubt that considering it is just a chord progression. The second section is much better, but the lack of melodic development (the melody only plays once and has little to no recurring motifs) means I'm probably not going to remember it very well.

Do you disagree? Perhaps my musical ear and palette simply aren't as refined as yours, but I still know I would prefer something by, say, Yasunori Mitsuda or James Horner (not Titanic).

I understand what you say, the impact that the game music will have on us we will have to see when we get the game, but saying the tracks are bad and generic(when almost every orchestral track may sound generic at frst listen) is something I wouldnt do.

You have to remember these tracks will be repeating itselves many times(in a menu, a fight, etc...) so a evolution in the song may not be the best thing here when you consider this, opossed to a movie where you know the music will appear in a climax or an action that will make the music tracks "evolve" according to this. Unless, they can create something like Shadow of the Colossus, but the nature of the game wont let them.

The real good thing in which we will apreciate how good this game music  will be is in the main theme or the one that will appear in the credits or cineematic secuences. That just reffering to music as it is and not as soundtrack to the gameplay, which I think RPGs lack of substance compared to a game like shadow of the colossus in which the gameplay moves the music. I dont think its a bad thing but its just the way it is.

Alic0004 said:

Wow, impressive how inventive this composer is... what's his name? It almost doesn't sound like game music, he's really pushing how much can be going on in the music.

Chocobo funk is awesome. Feels like some of Katamari's tracks. With a huge drum solo -- wow.

The second track goes from more of a FFVI-style brooding war march to more of a traditional orchestral style Dragon Quest theme. Crazy. Assuming it's gameplay background music, which it sounds like, I wonder what area encompasses both feelings?

Listening to the third one... snare drums on the march again, this guy is really evoking FF VI and VII with the music. With some more traditional movie style stuff, some Star Wars in the strings.

The fourth one. Definitely gets your attention; this is going to be something you should listen to. Intro sounds like Joe Hisaishi of Studio Ghibli fame, but with more detailed rhythms. Main melody sounds like something from Chrono Trigger, with that little downward fall of the piano at the end of the first phrase once the melody comes in straight from Terra's theme in FF VI. And then it goes into the main theme of the game, in a mellowed out version. Wait... the whole thing was the main theme, or at least the battle music.  Crazzy.  A little disappointing that it just goes to the second section and ends.  Would like to hear a track where the first theme is more explored.

This is the best FF music I've heard in a while, with a really unique voice that also seems to be an encyclopedia of past Squaresoft games. Getting excited :)

Couldnt't have said it better myself.

This is the true definition of owning.