By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I am playing final fantasy VII for the first time.

So, you are playing he best rpg ever?? Great.
Well since I am a huge fan of ff7 (I own the game twice) I can give you some tips.
Regarding the materia,
in double weapon slots you should put two materias which can be combined like "All" and "Fire" so you can use
Fire attack on all enemies. Basically you can experiment, but if I remeber correctly you have a tutorial after the first
few hours of the game, there you will find out everything you need to know.
Feel free to contact me anytime. Later I will explain you how to get the "Knights of the round" materia, you will
need it if you want to defeat the 2 optional Super Bosses (Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon).
Enjoy the game 

Around the Network

Materia? Make sure that as many as you can are equipped on your active party, even if you don't plan on using the ability. Play around with linking them together as soon as you get a weapon that allows it.

Great, odd that you being a FF fan you haven't yet played FFVII :P I've played it first 11 years ago, and still play it today ;).

About the materia, you should focus on character building materia, putting "jobs" on your characters as you see fit. For example, you should focus Aeris or someone who has a lower HP and is more prone to be on the back row, with tons of spell casting materia. Someone like Cloud, Barret or Tifa, you should focus more on Command and support materia, to build up a better attacking pattern with them.
Also there are the mixed characters like Red XIII, Vincent, Cid and Yuffie who can play both roles in a good fashion, those you should mix with a decent amount of spell and command.

Also, make sure to spread your summon materia along your party, since those are the most HP and Strenght penalty materias, you don't want to stuck one character with all summons or he'll be OHKO for most boss battles.

About the All --> materias, you should use them with spell materias in double sloted weapons or armor. If you connect them in a double connector, you'll get the spell xAll enemies effect on that particular spell. There are tons of combinations to do, one's that are intrinsically complex but that makes for a monster of a character.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

VivaLaWiida said:
Are you serious? I also played it for the first time some months ago and I didn't finish it. For someone who didn't play it 10 years ago it's a boring old RPG. :/

Gotta agree, i played it originally on Playstation and it was great.  Then recently downloaded a PS1 emulator & FF7 to play it again, and it just wasnt the same, it was really boring, really slow, and really childish.  Games have come along way.  But don't get me wrong, when this game came out it was the best RPG for years, absolute masterpiece.  Breeding chocobo's to get gold chocobo is awesome fun, so much to do.

Tips?

Uhhh...

I recommend keeping Cloud, he's a good character in battle.
Materia, use it.
See the guy with the white hair? His name's Sephiroth.
If your eyes start to hurt while playing the game, don't worry. That's normal.
Running helps you to get around faster.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:

Tips?

Uhhh...

I recommend keeping Cloud, he's a good character in battle.

you cant change him.

^^

Your reply extracted some funny from my post

4 ≈ One

PullusPardus said:
yeah by your name i thought you only play final fantasy games

A new FF fan maybe? Well new FF fans are always welcome and glad they go back and play older FF games to appreciate how FF became to be =P

^ I agree with V-r0cK post, you should play older FF like FFIV and FFV to appreciate how FF came to be and the evolution of the entire saga ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

V-r0cK said:
PullusPardus said:
yeah by your name i thought you only play final fantasy games

A new FF fan maybe? Well new FF fans are always welcome and glad they go back and play older FF games to appreciate how FF became to be =P

i agree.

@Dgc

this will make it up for you