By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces Q2 results

iam worried about the word net loss.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

I initially was going to, but then realized that this was the same individual claiming that Sony's biggest issue this gen was the PS3's lackluster sales. The goalpost just keeps moving no matter what they do. I'm not saying that Sony's financial situation looks like roses and flowers but, as you mentioned, it is no where near as bad as originally expected.

No the goal posts don't get moved. The goal posts are and have always been good sales + good profit. Sony were increasing their profitability and losing market share. If they gain market share share and become more unprofitable they are just missing the goal post in a different way. Obviously this changes in scope depending on whether you look at the short term picture or what the financials will be like in 6 months time, but you cannot fault people for focusing on the results they can see in front of them.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
heruamon said:
pterodactyl said:

It only does everything...except generate profits.

I wonder what people who said that the slim would make things better for Sony are saying right now?

"It only does everything...except generate profits."

ROFLOL!

As fair as I know you're capabale of being, it's sad that you would applaud such foolishness, particularly when the top company you support is notorious for taking loss after loss on their products as well.

I laughed a good 5 minutes over this myself. Why so defensive, CG?

damndl0ser said:
CGI-Quality said:
heruamon said:
pterodactyl said:

I wonder what people who said that the slim would make things better for Sony are saying right now?

ROFLOL!

As fair as I know you're capabale of being, it's sad that you would applaud such foolishness, particularly when the top company you support is notorious for taking loss after loss on their products as well.

I think the biggest difference is that they still profit as a company overall.  So they can take bigger chances.  

Microsofts initial xbox 1 loss was just an investment.  They knew it wouldn't be profitable and used that platform as a springboard into the industry.

I can't speak for Heruamon, but I don't applaud such foolishness but I did think it was damnd funny. :P

Sony's PlayStation 3 loss is just an investment. They knew it wouldn't be profitable (losing $200+ per unit?) and are using the platform as a springboard for a hugely profitable PlayStation 4.

@ CGI

It's entirely possible.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Carl2291 said:
damndl0ser said:
CGI-Quality said:
heruamon said:
pterodactyl said:

ROFLOL!

I think the biggest difference is that they still profit as a company overall.  So they can take bigger chances.

Microsofts initial xbox 1 loss was just an investment.  They knew it wouldn't be profitable and used that platform as a springboard into the industry.

I can't speak for Heruamon, but I don't applaud such foolishness but I did think it was damnd funny. :P

Sony's PlayStation 3 loss is just an investment. They knew it wouldn't be profitable (losing $200+ per unit?) and are using the platform as a springboard for a hugely profitable PlayStation 4.

Although nothing's concrete, I tend to believe this scenario.

Absolute tosh!!!!!! Sony where so full of themselves they thought every PS2 owner would buy a PS3 on name alone and at a ridiculous price even though the industry for years had been talking about an entry price for any console must be $300 anything more and it will struggle. Those guys at Sony don't listen to anything IMHO. Sony have got into a really nasty habbit of being forced into panic of their own doing something that wouldn't have happened in the past. No matter how much you suck up to Sony the corruptness in the said company is from the top and no matter what they do the truth will come out

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

bladeforce.... if every ps2 owner upgraded to the ps3 Sony would have lost even more.... how is it "tosh"

Carl2291 said:

The PS3 is no spring board to anything good for SCE.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
Carl2291 said:

The PS3 is no spring board to anything good for SCE.

A. Your opinion.

B. What does that have to do with his post?

A. More valid opinion.

B. It was a contradiction to his assertion.

C. I would like to know how the PS3 is a 'good thing' for SCE considering they haven't as yet made a single cent from Blu Ray disc manufacturing after massive capital investment. Considering the value of the PS* brand is probably half it was when the PS2 was released and considering they will probably never recoup their investment in the PS3. You obviously disagree with me.

Tease.

IMO the main reason for these losses if the $100 price cut that came with the slim, it would have been far more prudent to cut the price by only $50 or not at all, the numbers would certainly have been better atleast!

Sony really has to tread carefully here, clearly software isnt making up the losses like they hoped it would. This is in addition to the PS2 and PSP not being able to pick up the slack as they once did (primarily the PS2). Sony simply wont be able to launch the PS4 the same way they did the PS3 because they wont have the previous consoles to support it as well.