By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces Q2 results

@kowenicki

they are not facts

the division includes VAIO, PS & Walkman

we can't say PS3 is dragging down the division, if you do that is HATE

no-ones trying to turn this into a fan argument.....all I'm saying is that the losses were expected.....the high shipments, were not

& haters are changing their prioritites on what to hate.....that can be clearly seen

This is vg chartz....a sales site, don't call people out for looking mainly at shipments ......thats what most of us are interested in here, not profits, which were we knew were gonna go down anyway.

looking at your point of view, even CURRENt PS3 sales being high is a bad thing as they will be loosing more than if it sold at 360 levels right now.....where must we draw the line?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I'm going to just leave this alone no point of this discussion anymore really I think ill start a forza marketplace thread or something.

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

Clearly, the smart thing to do would have been to skip making the PS3 slim altogether, save a little bit of money, and just let the PS3 fat go in the direction it was going.... wait... really?

darthdevidem01 said:

Sony does say in their report that VAIO and Playstation have deteriorated in terms of income. So yeah, it's due to both (but probably more to the PS since the PS business is much bigger than the Vaio business, which sells like 1 million units of hardware per quarter and little or no software).

This is vg chartz....a sales site, don't call people out for looking mainly at shipments ......thats what most of us are interested in here, not profits, which were we knew were gonna go down anyway.

Profits and related stuff have always been discussed at VGC... they affect the present and the future of how the games business works. Don't act like it's a new thing to discuss the profit figures of any of the three big companies (or even other gaming companies).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

These numbers don't paint a good picture for Sony. As I've stated several times before, bigger companies than Sony will not survive this economic crisis. Don't be fooled by the day to day activities of Wall Street, are unemployment is well over 10%, and if Americans don't have jobs they can't by products, including Sony products.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
scat398 said:
These numbers don't paint a good picture for Sony. As I've stated several times before, bigger companies than Sony will not survive this economic crisis. Don't be fooled by the day to day activities of Wall Street, are unemployment is well over 10%, and if Americans don't have jobs they can't by products, including Sony products.

America isn't the only place on the planet, and Sony sells outside of America. No, the picture right now isn't great, but I think your reasoning is a bit flawed.

I understand what you are saying but my thinking isn't flawed when it comes to the importance of the American consumer and it's relationship to Japan.  Things aren't looking good right now for a lot of companies and hopefully it will turn around, agood start could be this holiday season, but I don't I like the Unemployment numbers at all.

CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@kowenicki

they are not facts

the division includes VAIO, PS & Walkman

no-ones trying to turn this into a fan argument.....all I'm saying is that the losses were expected.....the high shipments, were not

& haters are changing their prioritites on what to hate.....that can be clearly seen

looking at your point of view, even CURRENt PS3 sales being high is a bad thing as they will be loosing more than if it sold at 360 levels right now.....where must we draw the line?

Many good points man, although kowenicki has made good ones too. The whole situaion is a double-edged sword though. If the PS3 sells well, they lose money, if it doesn't, they lose marketshare.  I can see why people are so wrapped in despair. However, I do believe there are some hypocritical things being said in here, although again, not from kowenicki. The goalpost being moved, I won't even argue against that, as that is where I mainly agree with you. But truth be told, these losses are grim, but they had to drop that price, they knew that.

This is the nature of things for Sony though, they have to deal with this after the PS3's initially disastrous beginning (which Sony themselves are 100% to blame). Luckily for the gamer though, they are shipping plenty of units along with providing a FAR healthier line-up. That will pay off in the end IMO.

great summarisation I agree

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I think Sony's biggest problem is that the PS2 was highly profitable and the PS2 is at the end of its rope. The PSP may have seen it's best days as well. Whether the PS3 will ever be able to offset those declines is the big question.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

The only reason I brought up wall street was from an investors point of view who recently jumped on the sony corp train, its worked put pretty well. I'm not blind to the problems of this nation or what's going on with other companies.

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

johnsobas said:
one thing i just thought of that contributed to the losses was the clearance of the fats. Those were probably manufactured costing $440, and they sold them at $300.

That wouldn't matter to Sony. That'd hurt the retailers, but by the time the PS3s are on the shelf, Sony has already sold them to the retailer at the normal price. Does that make sense?