By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars PSP - NA first week 12003

Simulacrum said:
Ok, now all those Ds fans who were offended can strike back..

There were reasonable people in the first place, who assumed that the problem with the sales might be in the game itself, not because of wrong audience and all this stereotypic stuff circulating in gaming blogs concerning DS demography ;)

Around the Network
saicho said:
When it "flopped" on DS, it's because hardcore games can't sell on DS and DS is for teh casuals.

When it's announced for PSP, people are saying how it would outsell the DS version.

When it sells even worse on PSP, it's because of the piracy and PSN sales that we don't know about. (and the port)

I love that no games would flop on PS3 and PSP now since they always have PSN sales and only PSP has piracy.

I would have thought that you have been around this website to understand how this website works.  For example when niche games like Madworld or No More Heroes don't sell mad numbers on Wii it is because hard core games don't sell on Wii.  When Mirrors Edge doesnt sell well on PS3 it is the developers fault. 

When Bioshock which is one of the best games this gen apparently does not sell well on PS3 it is because it is a late port.  When Okami doesn't sell mad numbers on Wii it is because Wii owners only buy party games.

If a game does not sell well on Wii or DS is because of the owners.  When it doesn't sell well on PS3 or PSP it is because of developers or pirates.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

To be true if I remember right Take-Two did advertise this when it was released on DS. PSP version has gotten zero advertisement. Still disappointing sales. Maybe because PSP owners have already played two 3D GTA games they don't want to go back old style.

I blame the gameplay and lack of ads, but I'll certainly buy it. It's on my list.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Its a port of an old game that came out on a technically inferior system... what where people expecting? Also the game is oldschool and not like the GTA Story games, and we cant see the DL numbers. And no, coupon purchased games are not the only way you can get games from the PSN

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

They don't have time to advertise it much either. If you turn on a TV you're a lot more likely to see an Episodes from Liberty ad.

Late port, not exclusive (like previous PSP GTAs), lost momentum of PSP in the West, GTAIV dissapointment carried over ?

the PSN argument is so weak ~ lol

i cant believe people use it as a basis for anything considering the few numbers we have seen from psp are usually weak numbers, even for huge titles.

also, the game does look better on the psp graphically, they did improve it over the ds version and the game does come off looking much cleaner, its not just a lazy port.

also, while some marketing would help i dont see why you would need a ton, its gta on a sony platform... most of the people who are active on their psp will know about it.

if it'll have any legs; we'll have to see, i'd consider 300-400k+ a success for the title. IMO 700k+ for the ds version is pretty good considering the games play style + the franchises history on a nintendo system, if theres enough steam left in chinatown wars to push it over a reasonable about for the psp though, we will have to wait and see.

the main point though is will you really see all the people who tore it apart on the ds come out of the woodwork for the 2nd "failure 2 launch" of chinatown wars? the people who all insisted it was such a great game, how could a gta game not sell bucket loads and only "bombed" on the ds because its a kiddie platform? T___T

it was a stupid argument to begin with, but it seems it'll continue because all ive seen so far is people making a bunch of excuses for the title when in reality, its still gta and its still on its "home" platform: sony... late gta ports/old reworked gta games are also nothing new, it didnt stop them from selling well.

teknohick said:
the PSN argument is so weak ~ lol

i cant believe people use it as a basis for anything considering the few numbers we have seen from psp are usually weak numbers, even for huge titles.

also, the game does look better on the psp graphically, they did improve it over the ds version and the game does come off looking much cleaner, its not just a lazy port.

also, while some marketing would help i dont see why you would need a ton, its gta on a sony platform... most of the people who are active on their psp will know about it.

if it'll have any legs; we'll have to see, i'd consider 300-400k+ a success for the title. IMO 700k+ for the ds version is pretty good considering the games play style + the franchises history on a nintendo system, if theres enough steam left in chinatown wars to push it over a reasonable about for the psp though, we will have to wait and see.

the main point though is will you really see all the people who tore it apart on the ds come out of the woodwork for the 2nd "failure 2 launch" of chinatown wars? the people who all insisted it was such a great game, how could a gta game not sell bucket loads and only "bombed" on the ds because its a kiddie platform? T___T

it was a stupid argument to begin with, but it seems it'll continue because all ive seen so far is people making a bunch of excuses for the title when in reality, its still gta and its still on its "home" platform: sony... late gta ports/old reworked gta games are also nothing new, it didnt stop them from selling well.

Piracy across the board simple as. I'd say the thieves that pirate will have there treasure trove cut off sooner rather than later. Sony have got the 3rd party back on board for the psp but the piracy has increased if anything. Games will be very scarce again before to long. I even suspect the PSP will be download only this time next year.

So the "casual" DS owner market isn't the only one responsible for this game failure?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints