By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata (not laughing): ' We failed with the Wii'

Riot Of The Blood said:
Nintendo has been saying that they're going to get good core games on the console for years now and you guys are still believing this crap?

They've had them since the beginning. You're asking them to do things they don't do most likely.

Iwata was talking about the momentum of Wii(Wii Sports, Wii Fit), the MASS momentum. Has nothing to do with core games, it's all your own imagination. Core games have been there from the beginning, Nintendo is very apologetic by nature, but it doesn't mean they'll do things they don't do, and shouldn't do.

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Nintendo wants more sales, but Iwata admitted they didn't have the games to continue the momentum.

Nintendo fans never want to admit that the games on Wii just aren't that strong.  They go back to talking about profits...which would be relevant if you were a Nintendo investor, but not so much if you are a core gamer.

Core games aren't the issue, core games aren't momentum drivers, in fact core games are irrelevant to what Iwata was talking about

PS1 and 2 say 'hi".  Game libraries built around core games can be sufficient to sell 100million+.  Now Nintendo has found another way to generate sales, and these market-expanding games have generated tens of millions of Wii sales; however, I think there are still a ton of core gamers who just haven't been convinced by the Wii's game library to buy a Wii.

The population of non-core gamers in the world is much larger than that of core gamers, but that's a limited perspective.  Core gamers will spend huge amounts on consoles and games, and Nintendo hasn't done a good job of getting that money.

except the demographics of PS2 and Wii owners isn't the same.

Just watch the Wii commercials or go spend a few days at your local Best Buy or Wallmart and watch who is purchasing Wii...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Nintendo wants more sales, but Iwata admitted they didn't have the games to continue the momentum.

Nintendo fans never want to admit that the games on Wii just aren't that strong.  They go back to talking about profits...which would be relevant if you were a Nintendo investor, but not so much if you are a core gamer.

Core games aren't the issue, core games aren't momentum drivers, in fact core games are irrelevant to what Iwata was talking about

PS1 and 2 say 'hi".  Game libraries built around core games can be sufficient to sell 100million+.  Now Nintendo has found another way to generate sales, and these market-expanding games have generated tens of millions of Wii sales; however, I think there are still a ton of core gamers who just haven't been convinced by the Wii's game library to buy a Wii.

The population of non-core gamers in the world is much larger than that of core gamers, but that's a limited perspective.  Core gamers will spend huge amounts on consoles and games, and Nintendo hasn't done a good job of getting that money.

Wii is outselling both even now, so what's your point? Wii was doing far better than even that though,m and it was not because of core games, Wii sales in terms of software have never been an issue, until this year when they ran out of new expanded audience games and further expansion of what they had already done, not because of a lack of core games, core is not the issue, as I've pointed out repeatedly.

I didn't mention PS2 to show superiority of core games, I was pointing out that they are not insignificant and it's a mistake to ignore them.

I'm saying that either new, good core games or successful audience-expanding games could have helped them maintain momentum. 

However, if, for instance, they'd released NSMBWii on the date Wii Music released, in place of Wii Music, the Wii would have sold 4 million add'l consoles to this point and 15 million extra software units, not just of NSMBWii but other games that core gamers would have bought after buying their Wii.

It is and always was overly speculative to just assume that Nintendo could/would constantly make new audience-expanding games that caught on sufficient to drive sales at the former pace.   It is not speculative to assume that Nintendo can also make core games that are very, very good, and that cause core gamers to buy their system.

Soriku said:
"except the demographics of PS2 and Wii owners isn't the same."

Yeah they are. They both target EVERYONE. You don't think there were lots of casuals out to buy PS2 games too?

I didn't see many old folks and mothers buying the PS2

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Soriku said:

Yeah they are. They both target EVERYONE. You don't think there were lots of casuals out to buy PS2 games too?

Seen any 30+ mum purchasing a PS2 for herself? Or even a commercial depicting such a thing ? 

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:

except the demographics of PS2 and Wii owners isn't the same.

Just watch the Wii commercials or go spend a few days at your local Best Buy or Wallmart and watch who is purchasing Wii...

I'm asking whether Nintendo could benefit from more of the PS2 demographic buying a Wii, and then buying game after game after game.

avinash, so you think they would do better to keep expanding and expanding?
Sure, sales would continue, but when you expand you also spread yourself thin right?

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Wii is outselling both even now, so what's your point? Wii was doing far better than even that though,m and it was not because of core games, Wii sales in terms of software have never been an issue, until this year when they ran out of new expanded audience games and further expansion of what they had already done, not because of a lack of core games, core is not the issue, as I've pointed out repeatedly.

I didn't mention PS2 to show superiority of core games, I was pointing out that they are not insignificant and it's a mistake to ignore them.

I'm saying that either new, good core games or successful audience-expanding games could have helped them maintain momentum. 

However, if, for instance, they'd released NSMBWii on the date Wii Music released, in place of Wii Music, the Wii would have sold 4 million add'l consoles to this point and 15 million extra software units, not just of NSMBWii but other games that core gamers would have bought after buying their Wii.

It is and always was overly speculative to just assume that Nintendo could/would constantly make new audience-expanding games that caught on sufficient to drive sales at the former pace.   It is not speculative to assume that Nintendo can also make core games that are very, very good, and that cause core gamers to buy their system.

Core games can't, core games don't have legs, momentum games have legs. NSMB Wii isn't a core game, its a bridge game, one that is neither core nor expanded but appeals to both, this is why NSMB Wii will have legs, while a core game won't, NSMB Wii will be selling well a year from now, even in 2011. Actually its pretty likely that Nintendo can make expanded audience games, the Wi vitality sensor, seems to show an avenue where they are planning to go, on the other hand, core games, jhave high costs for lower long term benefits for Nintendo, as a result its not really worth it for them.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

theprof00 said:
avinash, so you think they would do better to keep expanding and expanding?
Sure, sales would continue, but when you expand you also spread yourself thin right?

He gots a point there. If you spread alot you'll need more to satisfy those needs

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Soriku said:

targeting all ages and women does not mean everyone.