By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata (not laughing): ' We failed with the Wii'

Kasz216 said:

This kinda reminds me of my girlfriend when she complains about a B+ on a test.  You've got a string of A's sure... but I B on one project time in a class won't kill you.

Hahhahahaa.  Yeah I skipped the first page earlier.  But had to go back to see this comment.  So true.  I think this is more comedy than news.  I bet Iwata is going to fast until the Wii is a success.

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:

I have to agree with Iwata's rethoric that Wii failed in the sense that they didn't create a market that is eager enough to purchase the number of Wii's predicted in their previous forecasts.

I think the thriving factors between the slowdown of Wii sales in general is due to the fact that there is a massive lack of Software that can push up hardware sales. A lot of people will play WSports Resorts and wiiFit+, but most of the people who buy those games were already convinced to buy a Wii in the first place because of the first itterations of the series. As such, to get different kinds of people to buy the Wii Nintendo has to start pumping out some more AAA-titles (and not only the Mario's and Zelda's) but something new and unexpected for a part of the market not specifically 'old people' and 'non-gamers'...

Another aspect of the slowdown is, I think, the hardware that is insufficient for a lot of 3rd-party devs. Who then choose not to develop for the Wii (not all, but Wii misses out on a lot of titles because of hardware limitations)... 

As such, I think the time is right to have Wii going for another 1-1.5 years with some strong software-releases from Nintendo (e.o) but I think a succesor to the Wii isn't too far around the corner!!

(Damn, first post in a long time, and probably my only because I don't have time nor the will to do this any longer)

No, because new Hardware won't solve Nintendo's software issue, its not core software that pushes Wii sales, but expanded market stuff, 3rd parties don't put out expanded market stuff, only Nintendo can solve this, which is why new hardware isn't what Iwata is referring to

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Soriku said:
KylieDog said:

"We were unable to show a new game to become ‘the next thing'."

What do they expect when most of their releases have been sequals to games already released this gen.  Another Excite game, another Wii Sports, another Wii Fit, and another Mario Galaxy 2 coming and all the while some IPs are sitting in wait for a Wii version still.

Zelda!

They failed to reach projections because they haven't released any new core games. Casual games can only get you so far.

Next year they're going to bring in the heat though finally.

No, they failed to meet projections, because of the lack of expanded market stuff, core stuff doesn't maintain momentum, but when Wii Music failed, they didn't have anything for the expanded market to go and recover the slack, and they haven't progressed the Wiimote/Motion plus or the balance board either for more expanded market reach

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

THIS JUST IN: Iwata has domed himself! Nintendo goes 3rd party! Wii Sports is being ported to Natal!

Wtf, Iwata never said they failed with Wii. He said, "Wii has stalled" Obviously, Wii sales have slowed because all the new games from Nintendo and 3rd party are releasing next year. Next year we will see Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Wii, Metroid: Other M, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3, Devil Kings 3, Samurai Warriors 3, StarFox Wii, F-Zero Wii, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, and etc

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
StarcraftManiac said:

I have to agree with Iwata's rethoric that Wii failed in the sense that they didn't create a market that is eager enough to purchase the number of Wii's predicted in their previous forecasts.

I think the thriving factors between the slowdown of Wii sales in general is due to the fact that there is a massive lack of Software that can push up hardware sales. A lot of people will play WSports Resorts and wiiFit+, but most of the people who buy those games were already convinced to buy a Wii in the first place because of the first itterations of the series. As such, to get different kinds of people to buy the Wii Nintendo has to start pumping out some more AAA-titles (and not only the Mario's and Zelda's) but something new and unexpected for a part of the market not specifically 'old people' and 'non-gamers'...

Another aspect of the slowdown is, I think, the hardware that is insufficient for a lot of 3rd-party devs. Who then choose not to develop for the Wii (not all, but Wii misses out on a lot of titles because of hardware limitations)... 

As such, I think the time is right to have Wii going for another 1-1.5 years with some strong software-releases from Nintendo (e.o) but I think a succesor to the Wii isn't too far around the corner!!

(Damn, first post in a long time, and probably my only because I don't have time nor the will to do this any longer)

No, because new Hardware won't solve Nintendo's software issue, its not core software that pushes Wii sales, but expanded market stuff, 3rd parties don't put out expanded market stuff, only Nintendo can solve this, which is why new hardware isn't what Iwata is referring to

Hardware upgrades could solve a part of the software problems when Nintendo puts out a console that has around the same specs as the PS3 and the X360 way earlier then the succesors of the previous two, just because 3rd-parties wouldn't have to downgrade in order to port. As such, Nintendo would have to keep the motion-controlls available. But it should integrate the WM+ technologies into the controller (not as an add-on)... And keep classic-controlls as an option. Maybe a Blu-Ray-drive...

I honestly don't think it's Too far-fetched because it would give people who already own a Wii the possibility to upgrade (with a possible discount) and keep consumer demand (possibly) high enough for others who haven't already bought a Wii in the first place to buy this version. 

I think it's a viable marketing-decision because what this Wii-upgrade would offer, next to the fact that it has the same hardware-specs as the X360/PS3 is the back-catalogue of the Wii, it's mass-market titles like Wii-sports and Wii-Fit, and the now finally working motion controlls all as pro's instead of con's!

THE NETHERLANDS

bardicverse said:
So, if the Wii, with nearly 50% markeshare is considered a "failure", should we then start referring to the 360 as "Laserdisc" and the PS3 as "Betamax"?

Seriously though, they didn't say they failed with the GameCube, but failed with the Wii?

Sure, they screwed up when they started thinking that people wanted Animal Crossing and Wii Music for the 2008 holiday season, and haven't done a good job at keeping quality assurance in many of the shovelware games.

Yet, at the rate of success, past and ongoing, to say they have failed, what then IS success? 75% marketshare?

As for their games pushing the next big thing, last I saw, Sony and MS were scrambling to get motion controls added in. If that's not leading the pack into a whole new direction of gaming, what is?

This industry is turning awfully emo.

There is another way to think of this though.  Since PS3 and 360 share a library of games that is quite similar to each other's yet do things quite different than the Wii's library, then it shows that if there was one hd console that followed that model with superior graphics and tech and had games like GTA IV, Halo, Fallout 3, MGS4, Uncharted, Final Fantasy XIII, and GT5, then it would actually have the lead over the Wii.

I guess it's hard to not notice that profits have dropped 50% from last year.

Good on him for admitting it. I don't see the lack of strong software this year as a failure, more a disappointment for me. But if this means they're going to learn some lessons and improve, then fantastic. Next year should be good for Wii.

Wii HD 2010 confirmed?