By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft started $100 Xbox Live Rumor

BMaker11 said:
RSEagle said:
There is no way Microsoft would put forth such an ill-conceived plan like this. If the price of one year of LIVE went up to a hundred dollars, I'm confident that 90% of Xbox 360 users, myself included, would hop over to PS3.

eh...I think you're wrong on this one. How many times have there been PSN vs XBL threads in which 360 fans won't even praise PSN for the advancements PSN has made, "wouldn't pay a dime for PSN, compared to the 'value' of XBL", and would "happily pay for Live, whatever they charged" because you "pay for what you get"?

M$ (with the X360) has America by the teet, which is why many people have this sentiment, both on forums and in real life in the US. Plus, I can see the rationale "it's less than $10 a month"

The bait and switch tactic might work in the short-term but it does not work in the long-term. If MS plays the bait and switch game, they will pay for it next generation so as long as Sony doesn't screw up their launch again. The $299 PS3 slim is too little, too late to salvage North America. Their hope is Europe and Japan. But I'm expecting that Sony won't screw up with the PS4. Of course you just never know with Sony though.

Around the Network

Let's assume it's only a conspiracy theory: then Windows 7 Launch Orgies are too? And how about japanese touch screens?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Im willing to pay my life for XBL!

Mvp4eVa said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
Mvp4eVa said:

So, Microsoft was doing this to make ppl believe and make them join or renew their subscription because they thought Microsoft was going to jack the price up of live?

Wow, Microsoft has a bunch of scam artist in their staff..

If this is true than a PS3 will be an automatic impulse buy to me.

But were all too stupid to know what rookits are so it doesnt really matter.....

Like, a program thats being overrun, hacked, tampered in form of malwares, trojans. etc.

Being hacked and tampered with is Microsofts doing? They put trojans with every windows installation?.....its not the same, any popular OS will be hacked and tampered with with malware and the like.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

hahahaha that's one of the funniest things I've heard. MS started a rumour about themselves.

If it did cost $100 they would need to up the number of features because right now all it has on PSN is less lag (which is arguable) and cross game party chat.

Around the Network

You cannot be serious about this... Microsoft does nickel and dime on many accounts but... this is just wrong. They already make billions every year essentially as a monopoly for Windows and profit from the Xbox brand (or am I wrong on that) so there is not much of a reason to do this except out of greed (if they even did this in the first place). I just think there are people out there trying to badmouth the 360. If people are wiling to pay, let them pay, but taking advantage of the consumer base would just be despicable.

Well outside of that blog, it would have been smart of them to start it, since it would get people to go and buy XBL for $50 a year and try to jump on that deal before its $100

mM
themanwithnoname said:
My favorite part of this article is "Microsoft and Xbox were in talks..." So Microsoft were talking to themselves?

My thoughts exactly. 

I keep thinking this is what microsoft wants to raise the price for the 'new' xbox live when they launch xb720. They want the rumor to mull around right now to soften people up to it when they finally do, or at least try to gauge how big the web outcry would be.

It's so they can knock $200 off the entry price of the new console by getting people on to two year live gold contracts - That way they can still price match or be close to in price the PS3, at least as it seems to average joe. In effect it might actually force PS4 onto paid online.

PlaystaionGamer said:
wouldnt shock me
all microsoft do is rip people off

windows 7 hahahahaaaa

PlaystaionGamer said:
Pipedream24 said:
Does anyone really believe this?

nope

Wut?