By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Japanese Language Thread

Почему вы хотите говорить по-японски, когда вы можете говорить на языке больше матушки-России!

Around the Network

Cyrillic, eh?
But I'm sucky at Cyrillic (I had my dad translate them since I only know the capital letters of Serbian cyrilic ), I did understand the meanings of words, though.
We are speaking Japanese because its an awesome language and Russian is great too, sadly I don't speak it at all. All I understand is due to similarity with southern Slavic languages.

Since we are at it, I might as well as contribute with my awesome language as well.
Hah, prov morm še jst neki v Slovenščini. Čeprov mi kot jezik ni kej preveč všeč, v takih trenutnik pride prov. In morm priznat, da se dost dobr sliš. 

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Yareyare, I am never going to learn japanese if I am continuing my pace.

Now I have some place where other people can motivate me

Akvod said:

Kantor said:
All the Japanese I speak:

Konnichiwa = Hello
Sayonara = Goodbye
Arrigato = Thank you
Shirimasen = I don't know
Abunai = Danger
Dameda = Forbidden
Yamero = Stop

The last three, I know from Kensuke's Kingdom.

Did you try out my "lesson"? Please tell me what you think about it so I can change it.

Yes, I did try it. Pretty good.

I find symbol languages too difficult. I tried learning Chinese for a while, and it was awful. I'd like to learn Japanese, because I love Japan, but I don't think I'd be able to learn a language through the internet.

So, sayonara, and don't yamero.

EDIT: Also, thanks to NFG, I know that "Baka" is Japanese for "idiot".

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Shit I'm getting bogged down with so many obligations O.o

Here's what I'm planning on doing tomorrow:

Particle は

Link to an external site that explains the difference between は and が. I don't think I'll be able to explain such a thing on my own in a short time... if I do have time I'll read the article and make comments on it.

Conjugation と

Verb Tenses

Prepositions and movements (?)

Sore, kore, etc. (Might make a video for this... dunno how that'll work with my iPhone and MS movie maker [since I can't install Premiere for some reason]

I might adjust these depending on much my ambitions are stretched.

Around the Network

Ko-Knee-Chi-Wa?

I know just a little tiny bit of Japanese, since I studied it for fun for a while. I forgot a lot of stuff, since I do not practise it anymore but here's a basic and useful sentense you could learn:

Konnichiwa! Watashi wa Lolita desu. Hajimemashite!

Hello! I am Lolita. Nice to meet you!

I wish their writing system was simpler because that's the only thing that keeps me from fully learning it. If it was simpler, Japanese would be quite easy to learn, imo, because speaking it isn't that hard. The pronounciation is familiar, there's no tones differences and the grammar isn't bad.

lolita said:

I know just a little tiny bit of Japanese, since I studied it for fun for a while. I forgot a lot of stuff, since I do not practise it anymore but here's a basic and useful sentense you could learn:

Konnichiwa! Watashi wa Lolita desu. Hajimemashite!

Hello! I am Lolita. Nice to meet you!

I wish their writing system was simpler because that's the only thing that keeps me from fully learning it. If it was simpler, Japanese would be quite easy to learn, imo, because speaking it isn't that hard. The pronounciation is familiar, there's no tones differences and the grammar isn't bad.

Just crank out a mini-white board and get crackin'! =D

Once you learn hiragana, katakana, and a few basic kanji,  the rest is just memorization.

^^^ Ugh no thanks. It's over 2000 "letters" or "images". You need to know so many just to read a book. It's rediculous!

Seriously, the people who thought of that writting system weren't really thinking about making it simple and practical. ~_~ Not very bright, imo. Now the king and scholars that created the Korean writing system were intelligent! Much easier than to remember 1000+ letters and takes a few days to memorize.

Call me lazy, I just can't be bothered! XD

lolita said:
^^^ Ugh no thanks. It's over 2000 "letters" or "images". You need to know so many just to read a book. It's rediculous!

Seriously, the people who thought of that writting system weren't really thinking about making it simple and practical. ~_~ Not very bright, imo. Now the king and scholars that created the Korean writing system were intelligent! Much easier than to remember 1000+ letters and takes a few days to memorize.

Call me lazy, I just can't be bothered! XD

You don't have to learn all the kanji's in one sitting O.o

Hiragana is the foundation, like the alphabet. You can have only hiragana and have Japanese functioning, kanji is something extra that only lets you write faster (think of it like an abrivation) and is necessary when you don't use spaces (which you normally don't do in Japanese).

I'll be teaching with only hiragana, so you only need to remember 26 "images" (damn, you're starting to sound like that philosopher with the Chinese room).

I might start to include some kanji, but that's later down in the road.

The basic kanji's are really memorable and easy to learn. The harder kanji's aren't unique, they're just different combinations of the basic kanji's or radicals, and you don't really need to know them if you just want to read some shonen manga or get through Japan.

Here this will make it more understandable:

http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/

See how everything is just a combination? I don't know anything about Korean, but if the 1000 images are all unique, THAT'S more of a pain in the ass O.o all I have to do with Kanji is remember the combinations of the radicals, and the context and definitions help too. If it's something about god, it'll usually have the same symbol:

祈る pray

いのる

神社 jinja (the shrine for Shinto)

じんじゃ

神 god

かみ

See how they have the same symbol on the left? And the symbols on the right are used commonly too. Like for jinja

the symbol on the right (土)of the underlined means soil. So I just take it as god's territory.

Don't give up!!!!

Here's some GAR music to harden your resolve.