By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console should I get?

I don't have a current gen system, and I'm wondering which system I should get.  Here are the pros and cons of the three systems as I see them.

Xbox 360:  It has a lot of fps games.  FPS is not my favorite game genre.  I liked the first two Halos but I didn't become a diehard fan of the series like some did.  Gears of War is another big series on there.  I played the first one and, like the Halo games, I thought it was a pretty good game, but much as with the Halo series, I didn't suddenly begin to think it was the greatest thing ever after I played it.  The 360 is supposed to have the best versions of most of the Western games, and it gets plenty of exclusive bonus content in such games (like with GTA IV and MW 2 and it received the Fallout 3 content earlier, although, I would love to be able to play Joker levels if I bought Batman:  Arkham Asylum), and I would love to play games like Splinter Cell:  Conviction, and Alan Wake (although it seems to be becoming more of an action than a pure survival horror adventure than what I was hoping it would become).  The fact that the 360 is getting a version of FFXIII that isn't supposed to be any kind of a downgrade from the PS3 version is a plus in my eyes.  They have some great games on xbla.  Their version of Bayonetta, a game I've been looking forward to, received a 40 out of 40 from Famitsu while the PS3 version only received a 38 / 40.

Wii:  I really Don't have any interest in any of the Wii series games or any games like them.  I do like the fact that they have  a lot of the classic games on the Virtual Arcade and some good games on and coming to Wii Ware.  I like the fact that Wii has a lot of new ips coming out.  I'm interested in games like No More Heroes, Muramasa, Silent Hill:  Shattered Memories, Fragile, and Cave Story.  And I would also like to play games like Metroid Prime Collection Wii Edition, Super Mario Galaxy, Epic Mickey, Zelda:  Twilight Princess, and Metroid:  Other M.

PS3:  It has the blu-ray, and I am a film buff (but I don't have a 1080 p television; mine is 720).  I think it has been putting out plenty of the best exclusives and games that I'm looking forward to the most.  I think it will receive stronger support from Japanese developers than the 360 is going to get in the future.  Being able to play FF Versus XIII is important to me, I liked the first Uncharted more than Gears of War.  I like what I've seen of Heavy Rain.  The Last Guardian looks amazing to me (I loved Ico, but never played Shadow of the Colossus).  I haven't played some of the games in their biggest series like Metal Gear Solid (I would love to play all these games in order but the last time I tried, I didn't get very far because I was playing Subsistence and wanted to hear everything on the codecs, so I listened to two hours of codec messages and moved the character two feet in the game before I got bored and put the game away.  I've only beaten the first MGS.), God of War.  I only made it to the second level of the first God of War, before I put it away.  I enjoyed the game, but became frustrated because of one of the puzzles, so I didn't pick it up again.  They are rereleasing some of these classic games in collection forms on PS3 and on their PSN.

Racing games don't really interest me, so Forza or GT5 isn't going to be a huge reason that I buy a system.

The problem with PS3 is their Western games aren't supposed to be as good as the 360 versions.  And a lot of exclusive content goes to the 360 games as well.

So, that is my impression of the three systems.  I would really like any help with deciding which one to pick up.

Around the Network

get a psp

PS3.
Because In my opinion it gives you the most entertainment and will be better in the long run and grand scheme of things.
But it all really depends on what you're looking for.

r u sure u dont own a 360?

according to the tag under your name, you've already ticked off the 360 on your "to get" list.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

You already own 10 Xbox 360 games.

Wii

sully1311 said:

I had a 360 purchased in May of 2006, but it got the red lights of death past the warranty date (I hadn't used it that much because I also had a PS3 60 most of that time and quite a few dvds that took up much of time during that period as well.  I've never owned or played the Wii more than two hours since it was released).  And they wanted $99.00 to fix it.

I would rather buy a new one than pay $99 to fix something that might have had flaws in its design to begin with.

My favorite games on 360 were the Tomb Raider games, Geometry Wars, Bioshock, and GTA IV.  Just before my 360 died I bought Fallout 3 Collector's Edition, but I never got to play it.

txrattlesnake said:
sully1311 said:

I had a 360 purchased in May of 2006, but it got the red lights of death past the warranty date (I hadn't used it that much because I also had a PS3 60 most of that time and quite a few dvds that took up much of time during that period as well.  I've never owned or played the Wii more than two hours since it was released).  And they wanted $99.00 to fix it.

I would rather buy a new one than pay $99 to fix something that might have had flaws in its design to begin with.

My favorite games on 360 were the Tomb Raider games, Geometry Wars, Bioshock, and GTA IV.  Just before my 360 died I bought Fallout 3 Collector's Edition, but I never got to play it.

you have a ps3 too, i am so confused?

In any case.

Judging by what you say in the OP, PS3 seems best for you.