By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I the only one disappointed in Uncharted 2's 800k?

Smashed said:
madkiller said:
No way in hell does this game get Game of the Year over MW2...

On topic: I think it is pretty sad that most of the PS3 fanboys seemed happy with 800k for the biggest exclusive PS3 game of the year when the Xbox 360 big exclusives all sell 1.5m-4m. Hell, ODST almost tripled it in first week sales and it got a lot of bad hype for being $60 for being an expansion, while Uncharted 2 got nothing but the biggest good hype we have seen this year...

Pardon me?

Wait wait a minute, why are we bringing a fucking HALO game into an Uncharted 2 thread? WHY?

Please god tell me what relation they have, have you FORGOTTEN how big the Halo franchise is? I see you're a microsoft fan, I would have thought you've known better.

This game will get game of the year, HANDS down. MW2 will NOT get higher scores than Uncharted 2. Who gives a flying fuck on how much it sold? Really, do SALES make the quality of the game?

Jesus christ, I can't believe you even brought Halo in the conversation with Uncharted 2.. My god, This site has officially gone to shit.

You are such a troll dude, that was beyond troll, that was more of trying too hard.

Sicken me.

Excuse me, but high review scores do not equal game of the year either pal. The fact is that Uncharted 2 is a great game, but just cannot compete against the really huge games that are all going to outsell it this year. AC2, MW2, L4D2, etc etc etc are all going to be huge compared to Uncharted 2. Plus, having played Uncharted 1 I think that the franchise is severely overrated. The graphics for instance are not that great in many situations. I happen to think the water in both look terribly fake and look more like plastic than water. I brought Halo into it as a specific example of sales, I am not comparing the games whatsoever. I am strictly stating the fact that the Xbox 360 exclusive games blow the PS3 exclusive games away in sales numbers and yet the PS3 fanboys seem happy about the sales still. If I was a PS3 fanboy I would be pissed that the biggest PS3 exclusive of the year sold a measly 800k first week...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

Around the Network

it did really well because it might have been a disappointment like Resistance 2 compared to Resistance 1 sales. Uncharted will be a longterm franchise for Sony.

madkiller said:
Smashed said:
madkiller said:

On topic: I think it is pretty sad that most of the PS3 fanboys seemed happy with 800k for the biggest exclusive PS3 game of the year when the Xbox 360 big exclusives all sell 1.5m-4m. Hell, ODST almost tripled it in first week sales and it got a lot of bad hype for being $60 for being an expansion, while Uncharted 2 got nothing but the biggest good hype we have seen this year...

Pardon me?

Wait wait a minute, why are we bringing a fucking HALO game into an Uncharted 2 thread? WHY?

Please god tell me what relation they have, have you FORGOTTEN how big the Halo franchise is? I see you're a microsoft fan, I would have thought you've known better.

This game will get game of the year, HANDS down. MW2 will NOT get higher scores than Uncharted 2. Who gives a flying fuck on how much it sold? Really, do SALES make the quality of the game?

Jesus christ, I can't believe you even brought Halo in the conversation with Uncharted 2.. My god, This site has officially gone to shit.

You are such a troll dude, that was beyond troll, that was more of trying too hard.

Sicken me.

Excuse me, but high review scores do not equal game of the year either pal. The fact is that Uncharted 2 is a great game, but just cannot compete against the really huge games that are all going to outsell it this year. AC2, MW2, L4D2, etc etc etc are all going to be huge compared to Uncharted 2. Plus, having played Uncharted 1 I think that the franchise is serverly overrated. The graphics for instance are not that great in many situations. I happen to think the water in both look terribly fake and look more like plastic than water. I brought Halo into it as a specific example of sales, I am not comparing the games whatsoever. I am strictly stating the fact that the Xbox 360 exclusive games blow the PS3 exclusive games away in sales numbers and yet the PS3 fanboys seem happy about the sales still. If I was a PS3 fanboy I would be pissed that the biggest PS3 exclusive of the year sold a measly 800k first week...

High review scores? I don't really give a shit about review scores either, but hell, it tells you a bit about a game when it's getting amazing scores. Again, I don't care about them, I played the game, and it's FANTASTIC, I don't need reviews telling me how good it is or not.

Stop bringing Xbox into a Sony thread, SPECIFICALLY about a Sony game. I think Halo 3's graphics are complete garbage, do you see me boasting around on how it looks like garbage?

Are you forgetting that Uncharted was introduced when the PS3 came out? And had absolutely no fanbase for the game?

And are you blind? Or are you just ignorant, IGNORING the fact that the Xbox 360 has a 7 million lead on the PS3? Or what..? Something doesn't click in with me there.

Are you disputing that Halo 3 didn't have a large fanbase of over 10 million, have you ever thought thats why a game that says 'HALO 3' on it sold so well?

My god, get out of here with your trollish comments, derailing the whole thread.

Smashed said:
madkiller said:
Smashed said:
madkiller said:

Pardon me?

Sicken me.

Excuse me, but high review scores do not equal game of the year either pal. The fact is that Uncharted 2 is a great game, but just cannot compete against the really huge games that are all going to outsell it this year. AC2, MW2, L4D2, etc etc etc are all going to be huge compared to Uncharted 2. Plus, having played Uncharted 1 I think that the franchise is serverly overrated. The graphics for instance are not that great in many situations. I happen to think the water in both look terribly fake and look more like plastic than water. I brought Halo into it as a specific example of sales, I am not comparing the games whatsoever. I am strictly stating the fact that the Xbox 360 exclusive games blow the PS3 exclusive games away in sales numbers and yet the PS3 fanboys seem happy about the sales still. If I was a PS3 fanboy I would be pissed that the biggest PS3 exclusive of the year sold a measly 800k first week...

High review scores? I don't really give a shit about review scores either, but hell, it tells you a bit about a game when it's getting amazing scores. Again, I don't care about them, I played the game, and it's FANTASTIC, I don't need reviews telling me how good it is or not.

Stop bringing Xbox into a Sony thread, SPECIFICALLY about a Sony game. I think Halo 3's graphics are complete garbage, do you see me boasting around on how it looks like garbage?

Are you forgetting that Uncharted was introduced when the PS3 came out? And had absolutely no fanbase for the game?

And are you blind? Or are you just ignorant, IGNORING the fact that the Xbox 360 has a 7 million lead on the PS3? Or what..? Something doesn't click in with me there.

Are you disputing that Halo 3 didn't have a large fanbase of over 10 million, have you ever thought thats why a game that says 'HALO 3' on it sold so well?

My god, get out of here with your trollish comments, derailing the whole thread.

First off, you really need to calm the hell down. Secondly, you say you don't care about review scores, but you are the one that brought them up. Plus, I am comparing sales of exclusive games on the PS3 to those on the Xbox 360 which is perfectly legitimate in a SALES thread on a SALES website. I think you might be a little mad because you know what I am saying is the truth. Also, most PS3 fanboys dismiss the hardware sales lead as being unimportant, especially now that the PS3 has finally started selling pretty good. Plus a 7 million hardware lead should not equal up to 2.5x-4x or more for exclusive game sales for the biggest franchises of each. In reality, MGS4 is the only exclusive that even came close to competing with the Xbox 360 exclusives and it came out with a much smaller userbase than Uncharted, even if it is a much bigger franchise I think Uncharted 2 should have been able to do 1.3-1.4m first week.

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

I only expected half of that on the first week. 800k is impressive.

Around the Network
madkiller said:
Smashed said:
madkiller said:
Smashed said:
madkiller said:

Pardon me?

Sicken me.

First off, you really need to calm the hell down. Secondly, you say you don't care about review scores, but you are the one that brought them up. Plus, I am comparing sales of exclusive games on the PS3 to those on the Xbox 360 which is perfectly legitimate in a SALES thread on a SALES website. I think you might be a little mad because you know what I am saying is the truth. Also, most PS3 fanboys dismiss the hardware sales lead as being unimportant, especially now that the PS3 has finally started selling pretty good. Plus a 7 million hardware lead should not equal up to 2.5x-4x or more for exclusive game sales for the biggest franchises of each. In reality, MGS4 is the only exclusive that even came close to competing with the Xbox 360 exclusives and it came out with a much smaller userbase than Uncharted, even if it is a much bigger franchise I think Uncharted 2 should have been able to do 1.3-1.4m first week.

You're missing the entire point, I give up.

Don't even reply to me.

I'm also disappointed. However, there are a few weird things about the numbers that make it seem like one week might not give a clear picture:

Uncharted 2's first week in America is 421k, while the first week in Europe is 360k. This is despite the fact that the PS3 install base in Europe is 20% higher than America, and despite the fact that the original Uncharted has sold to date 1.06M in America and 1.48M in Europe. It may be that Europe's second week will look a lot like a first week for the game, putting the European numbers above the American ones, and more in line with the pattern set by the first game. Finally, Europe's first week was actually only 2 days of data, while America's first week contained 5 days of data.

I think there are a few reasons to be hopeful about good legs. First, the game just went back up to 97 on Metacritic. If a review average can ever help sell a game, it'll help Uncharted 2. A 97 puts it into the stratosphere of PS3 games, with its only peer GTA IV at 98. Unlike GTA IV's backlash, word of mouth seems to be extremely positive about this game.

Second, the holidays are fast approaching and the PS3 is selling a lot better than it has in a while.

Third, the original Uncharted has strong legs.

Most was expecting Uncharted 2 to sell about 400k for the 1st week. Uncharted isn't an established franchise as Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, COD, or Halo. I will say that this game will have some longevity in the sales, and I wouldn't be surprised if Uncharted 2 break 4 million or even 5 million copies sold.

madkiller said:
Smashed said:
madkiller said:

Pardon me?

Sicken me.

Excuse me, but high review scores do not equal game of the year either pal. The fact is that Uncharted 2 is a great game, but just cannot compete against the really huge games that are all going to outsell it this year. AC2, MW2, L4D2, etc etc etc are all going to be huge compared to Uncharted 2. Plus, having played Uncharted 1 I think that the franchise is severely overrated. The graphics for instance are not that great in many situations. I happen to think the water in both look terribly fake and look more like plastic than water. I brought Halo into it as a specific example of sales, I am not comparing the games whatsoever. I am strictly stating the fact that the Xbox 360 exclusive games blow the PS3 exclusive games away in sales numbers and yet the PS3 fanboys seem happy about the sales still. If I was a PS3 fanboy I would be pissed that the biggest PS3 exclusive of the year sold a measly 800k first week...

First of all, your excused, second of all, your a ***boy. High review scores are in perfect line with the general population's views so when you take that into consideration you have to realize that the people who award the GOTY contenders the title of being GOTY are most likley going to go with the game that has the higher ratings. Your saying that Uncharted 2 won't get any GOTY awards because of games that don't even have a single review in yet, but I don't know why you think that when the whole gaming community is going absolutely nuts over Uncharted 2. I agree though that AC2/MW2 will outsell it but I don't see both them getting the ratings and love that Uncharted has earned. Uncharted will sell more than L4D2 though I can tell you that right now.

The reason why people would be happy about these sales is because it did 6 times better than the first Uncharted and the first one had some of the best legs seen on the PS3 and I expect to see the same effect with Unhcarted 2. People love this game for what it is, just look at the sales hike it gave the PS3. This game is considered by the average reviewer and general population as the best game out this generation so far and you think that 3 other games are gonna just brush that away because they are hyped? That's not how it works but it could happen I guess. Last I had checked though 800k wasn't measly, just look at L4D's and Orange Box's first week sales, quality>sales bud.

Ajescent said:
Yes I am impressed by that but still. I usally don't care about the sales charts (yes I am aware what site I'm on) but this one annoyed me a bit.

Simply put. what do you prefer as a gamer?

A great game with more than decent sales? (Uncharted)

or a good game with super sales (Say... since people already mentioned, the new Halo)

Heck, unless you are Microsoft CEO with stockshare, why would a gamer be disappointed with sales number other than the quality of said game?

Just goes to show that sometimes fanboys forget why they are FANS first.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)