By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 winning next gen console race? so far? guess its how you look at it

vanguardian1 said: The problem with the 2008 scenario is that the developers are all hopping resources on the wii bandwagon, I think we may see a bigger variety of software in 2008 come out for Wii than we see for either 360 or PS3. Think, in the last 3 months of this year alone how many developers have announced wii projects? If current sales continue, we may start hearing of developers even considering canceling current PS3 projects in favor of the Wii, simply because of the lower requirements and significantly larger (and fastest growing) install base.
Ehhh. Thats doubtful. Its more likely they'd just multi-platform it to the 360 and/or the Wii. Yes, it'd be cheaper, but the 360 and PS3 still have 66% of the current sales this generation (thus far)... Which is why you've seen so many games goto 360 - devs want the cash multi-plat can bring, either on the Wii (Godfather, Scarface, ect) or the 360 (GTAIV, Guitar Hero) from the PS2-only franchises, or atleast PS2-dominated ones.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

mridul said: Yojimbo said: mridul said: Yojimbo said: Everybody knows that Ps3 is selling better than 360 the same period. The PS3 is fighting with Wii,360 and ps2, when 360 was only fighting with ps2. But still the numbers is not good, it should be selling much better then 360. Cant believe that ps3 is selling better then 360 in USA the same period. But still the ps3 sales is bad compared to ps1/ps2 I cant wait for the NPD numbers for march. MOTORSTORM and GOD OF WAR 2 should give ps3 a significant boost. GOD OF WAR 2 has already surpassed 1 m by theway. I think it would be MARCH's most selling game by FAR. a 2m is not highly unlikely. I expect 500~k for MOTORSTORM and perhaps a600--700k for GRAW 2. I believe that God of War 2 is bad for the ps3 sales. People is going instead to buy more ps2. You r Motorstorm numbers seem way to high. I cant afford to hope that ps3 sales is going to be better in march. I have been way to optimistic too many times. So time will tell :P VF 5 was released on FEB 22 + NBA homecourt +OBLIVION +VIRTUA TENNIS 3+DEF JAM...all these games alongside MOTORSTORM have generated quite a bit of consumer interest in ps3. ps3 would do much better in MARCH in NA. but ofcourse we would find out when OFFICIAL SALES DATA comes out
Washimul, your on crack. God of War 2 will sell ZERO!!! PS3's. No one will spend $600 on a system to play a game that runs on a $120 system.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

stof said: Wikipedia - Despite a highly-promoted launch and a host of cutting-edge technologies, the system's high price ($699.95 USD at release) and an over-saturated console market prevented the 3DO from ever achieving any real market penetration. Now add a PS and subtract a DO from the consoles name and that sentence still seems frightfully accurate.
You've being way overdramatic here. No way PS3 will be a 3DO-esque failure. Just no way. However, I think most will consider it a relative failure if it loses to either of the other two, or even if it ends up in a three-way tie, given the results last time around. And if that happens, it certainly is a huge failure from Sony's point of view financially (not to mention future finances due to the damaging of the very valuable Playstation brand).

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Somewhere in that article it said: Briefly ignoring the xbox 360 supply constraintes the PS3 sold more then it did. How can someone say that? That was the reason the xbox 360 didn't sell major numbers, because it didn't have enough to sell, somewhat like the wii

elprincipe said: stof said: Wikipedia - Despite a highly-promoted launch and a host of cutting-edge technologies, the system's high price ($699.95 USD at release) and an over-saturated console market prevented the 3DO from ever achieving any real market penetration. Now add a PS and subtract a DO from the consoles name and that sentence still seems frightfully accurate. You've being way overdramatic here. No way PS3 will be a 3DO-esque failure. Just no way. However, I think most will consider it a relative failure if it loses to either of the other two, or even if it ends up in a three-way tie, given the results last time around. And if that happens, it certainly is a huge failure from Sony's point of view financially (not to mention future finances due to the damaging of the very valuable Playstation brand).
Of course I'm being overdramatic. I'm just kidding, but the general idea behind that statement is true. Despite a highly promoted launch and a host of cutting-edge technologies, the system's price and over saturated console market (or at least stronger competition) will prevent the PS3 from reaching anywhere near it's previous market penetration.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

mrstickball said: Ehhh. Thats doubtful. Its more likely they'd just multi-platform it to the 360 and/or the Wii. Yes, it'd be cheaper, but the 360 and PS3 still have 66% of the current sales this generation (thus far)... Which is why you've seen so many games goto 360 - devs want the cash multi-plat can bring, either on the Wii (Godfather, Scarface, ect) or the 360 (GTAIV, Guitar Hero) from the PS2-only franchises, or atleast PS2-dominated ones.
That's both the beauty and the beast of the Wii's horsepower, porting games to it will rarely make sense, thus meaning either don't make a game for it OR make something different for it. And so far this year, I do believe the wii has sold worldwide over 50% of "next gen" console hardware sales, although the PS3 launching in Europe may do enough to knock the wii down to 49% ;) . Remember the wii is, at this point, the ONLY home console doing very well for all 3 territories. It looks like the PS3 will be dragging it's butt for the foreseeable future in all 3 regions, and the 360 is only doing great in 1 region, so-so in Europe, and non-factor in japan.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

The PS3 had better sell more than the 360 did when it came out. Sony's MAIN asset is the Playstation brand name - what is helping PS3's fly off the shelves at the moment. If Sony had released the PS360 a year ago - and Microsoft was just now releasing the "Xbox3" - it would already be game over. The PS3 won't be a flop - it already isn't. But whether it can outsell either the 360 globally - or the Wii - remains to be seen. I think you'll see a *very* modest rise in PS3 sales over March (US). Without the new games, the sales would be dropping - these games are just enough to keep the momentum going. Still nothing even close a "killer" app. I'll be surprised if Motorstorm does more than 250k. GOWII might do 500k-800k.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

gebx said: Washimul, your on crack. God of War 2 will sell ZERO!!! PS3's. No one will spend $600 on a system to play a game that runs on a $120 system.
You are right. They won't. However, for anyone considering a PS3 purchase and thinking about what games to grab, having God of War 2 in the picture as an option could well tip the scales on their decision.

PSN - hanafuda

Andrew said: Somewhere in that article it said: Briefly ignoring the xbox 360 supply constraintes the PS3 sold more then it did. How can someone say that? That was the reason the xbox 360 didn't sell major numbers, because it didn't have enough to sell, somewhat like the wii
thats very true what you say but in defense of that all someone would have to say is if the ps3 launched a year ago against no competing console it would have sold more.. so i dont think you can dwell on what coulda happened .. what it sold is what it sold

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

you just wait. WII domination will begin this FALL when SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL and METROID PRIME 3 and SUPER MARIO GALAXY come out. at that time the ps3 will be dust in the wind. the ps3 is DEAD already. MOTORSTORM and VF 5 have done nothing to move the system.