By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 winning next gen console race? so far? guess its how you look at it

Yojimbo said: mridul said: Yojimbo said: Everybody knows that Ps3 is selling better than 360 the same period. The PS3 is fighting with Wii,360 and ps2, when 360 was only fighting with ps2. But still the numbers is not good, it should be selling much better then 360. Cant believe that ps3 is selling better then 360 in USA the same period. But still the ps3 sales is bad compared to ps1/ps2 I cant wait for the NPD numbers for march. MOTORSTORM and GOD OF WAR 2 should give ps3 a significant boost. GOD OF WAR 2 has already surpassed 1 m by theway. I think it would be MARCH's most selling game by FAR. a 2m is not highly unlikely. I expect 500~k for MOTORSTORM and perhaps a600--700k for GRAW 2. I believe that God of War 2 is bad for the ps3 sales. People is going instead to buy more ps2. You r Motorstorm numbers seem way to high. I cant afford to hope that ps3 sales is going to be better in march. I have been way to optimistic too many times. So time will tell :P
VF 5 was released on FEB 22 + NBA homecourt +OBLIVION +VIRTUA TENNIS 3+DEF JAM...all these games alongside MOTORSTORM have generated quite a bit of consumer interest in ps3. ps3 would do much better in MARCH in NA. but ofcourse we would find out when OFFICIAL SALES DATA comes out

Around the Network

superchunk said: I think it should still be considered a failure. Why? Because, the 360 was not readily in stock until late March. Whereas the PS3 has been readily available in January for NA and Japan; and seems to be already fully in stock levels in EU. Also, you are talking about a machine, xbox, that had 1/5th the userbase of the ps2. Based on Sony's existing userbase they should be much higher right now. The ps2 has also been out for twice as long as the xbox. That means, more existing ps2 users should be ready to upgrade than the existing xbox users. ps3 has only sold about 2-3% of the ps2 userbase, whereas the xbox converted about 10% in the same time frame. I don't think the ps3 will match the 360's first year sales, and that must be considered a failure, at least up to that point. PS3 should still be sold out. Maybe the price is just too much to swallow and is having too large of a negative effect. I guess we shall see this holiday season.
i know ps2 and original xbox owners mean something but i dont think you can look at it like that.. just because someone had a ps2 doesnt mean they are going to get a ps3... look at me for instance i never even had an xbox but i bought a 360...but once again i know people wanna upgrade i just dont think the people who upgrade are the whole equation of buyers or potential buyers but of course they are apart of it.. agree? superchunk?

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Bonafide732 said: i know ps2 and original xbox owners mean something but i dont think you can look at it like that.. just because someone had a ps2 doesnt mean they are going to get a ps3... look at me for instance i never even had an xbox but i bought a 360...but once again i know people wanna upgrade i just dont think the people who upgrade are the whole equation of buyers or potential buyers but of course they are apart of it.. agree? superchunk?
I agree with you in the long term. However, I would argue that in the initial launch time frame a far higher percentage of buyers of one system are buying it because the owned the previous system. I would bet that more than 90% of 360 owners purchased the xbox. The only exception to this is the Wii, which is proven in that it has been out for over 4 months with decent shipments (1m+ per month) and still sold out worldwide. In these first 6mos I would say that the growth could be directly linked to the predecessor's userbase. N64 did so well in the beginning due to SNES, even though it had what 4 launch games? PS3 I still argue should be doing much better. It should be on par with the Wii solely due to its 120m+ userbase of the ps2. There shoudl be atleast 20m people worldwide ready to buy. But, 5 months later for NA and Japan we see barely 2m. Only 500,000 units moved on launch day in EU. I will see this weekend. If it sells out of the 1m, then maybe Sony could be considered doing good so far.

I don't think this will make a diffrance. Animal crossing - life = crap fest. With all of son'ys former full time supproters giving all to the wii and 360 the PS3 even if it still has some support will have trouble this time around. Guitar hero, Final fantasy, and mabey even kindom hearts are comming/on the 360 and wii.

Wikipedia - Despite a highly-promoted launch and a host of cutting-edge technologies, the system's high price ($699.95 USD at release) and an over-saturated console market prevented the 3DO from ever achieving any real market penetration. Now add a PS and subtract a DO from the consoles name and that sentence still seems frightfully accurate.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Comparing the starts of the two system is almost meaningless. Bottom line is unless the 360 starts selling like crazy, which it isn't right now, The PS3 is going to have a chance to get back into this race. The Wii is the it system right now. Until either the 360 or PS3 or both start outselling the Wii on a monthly basis the the battle hasn't even started between the high def systems. I see the Wii dominating this year, and more or less the battle between the other two being in 2008 and 2009 when they'll probably have more casual gamer appeal and lower prices.

The ironic thing is...In NA, the 360 compared to PS3, the PS3 is only winning by around 50k units....And unless the PS3 sells 200k+ in March (which it won't), the 360 will beat it year over year.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

over 2 million is not market penetration... wow.

Double post. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

The problem with the 2008 scenario is that the developers are all hopping resources on the wii bandwagon, I think we may see a bigger variety of software in 2008 come out for Wii than we see for either 360 or PS3. Think, in the last 3 months of this year alone how many developers have announced wii projects? If current sales continue, we may start hearing of developers even considering canceling current PS3 projects in favor of the Wii, simply because of the lower requirements and significantly larger (and fastest growing) install base.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.