By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

DM235 said:

Not that piracy is a good thing, but your argument has many flaws.

Because there would be many more copies of the pirated game, there are many more people who could possibly buy DLC.

The pirate has even more extra money then the person who sold their used game since they never spent any money to begin with.

Yeah, I was thinking that you couldn't download DLC to a pirated copy, then came to my senses and realised it'd be the same as renting a game and downloading DLC.

If there was no second hand market, people who couldn't afford the full price of games would just buy "Greatest Hits" versions or just visit the bargain bins.

But a lot of people can't afford to keep buying games without selling (some of) them on, getting some money back, and then putting that money toward buying a new one.  If everyone waited until games were in the bargain bin, dev studios/publishers would be screwed (well, their revenue would drop).

If you want to support the developers, buy the game at full price.  If you want to support the developers but cannot afford the full price, either wait for the price to drop, rent the game, or buy some DLC (whether you pirated the game or bought it used).

Does anyone know how much the rental licenses cost per copy? As it seems to me that this is worse than the used market as more people are likely to rent that one rental copy, and ergo reduce the number of people likely to buy the game, than will buy/use that second hand copy.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

How is that so? Which money do they see form the used game sales? Please someone tell me. Where exactly do they get money from when you buy or sell your game used? Used means person to person, not person to publisher back to person. Also by your logic a pirate would have even MORE money to spend on games that the publisher releases in the future. Also the whole "wouldn't have bought it anyway" defense is a hallmark of piracy. In fact, jsut aboubt all of your defense, if you switch used games with piracy would be just as valid.

It's not that they get money from the used game sale directly, but the seller gets credit or cash that can be used to buy another game.

vlad321 said:

I can also build a copy of the house and give it to my friend legally, a la piracy for CDs, why should I not be able to pirate then? I don't think you realize that video games arent physical things, the CDs they are on it is, but the game itself is not. Go ahead and wipe the video game and resell the CD if you want to equate used market to reselling houses and other physical items.

Not if the architect/designer has patented the design.  You'd be free to sell your house on to someone else though.

Nomad Blue said:
vlad321 said:

How is that so? Which money do they see form the used game sales? Please someone tell me. Where exactly do they get money from when you buy or sell your game used? Used means person to person, not person to publisher back to person. Also by your logic a pirate would have even MORE money to spend on games that the publisher releases in the future. Also the whole "wouldn't have bought it anyway" defense is a hallmark of piracy. In fact, jsut aboubt all of your defense, if you switch used games with piracy would be just as valid.

It's not that they get money from the used game sale directly, but the seller gets credit or cash that can be used to buy another game.

Yes and the pirate keeps all his money thus allwinng him to buy more games right?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 the game is manufactured on the disc I didn't burn it onto one. I comes in a box with a manual. When I sell the game used I'm selling all that as well. Although the game can exist in a pure digital format. To legally play the game you need the disc. When I buy the game I have the right to use what is on it. When I sell it I'm selling my right to use it. To call me a pirate for selling something that I paid to have the rights to is ridiculous. Now I bought flower on psn. I can never sell the game. I was able to re download it when I had to get my ps3 fixed and that cost me nothing more. If a disc of mine were to break then that would be it. I'd have to buy the game again. Now I only paid 9.99 for flower while I spent 60 for some games I later resold for for 15. The developer still got money from when I bought it in the first place had the game been better I might have kept it or the person who bought it used from me might have wanted it sooner. A used market can show the replay value of a game piracy does not. If the developer sees the game selling for $29.99 used all over when they still want to sell it for $60 that's a sign to them that they aren't offering enough in that game for it to be $60 in the eyes of the consumer. They can lower the price. Maybe to $19.99 to try and get rid of the rest of the stock and prevent a further loss. Maybe offer a special edition with more features on it. Maybe offer some dlc so people hold onto it for longer. Used games is a way for the developer to see what the market has to say about the game. Piracy doesn't do this. Developers see people spending on the used games. They don't see pirates spending at all. They have to work for consumers dollars. We don't just give them to them.
They stopped manufacturing marvel vs capcom 2. Before the game was down loadable on xbl and psn the used copies were selling for more than the original price. They could have made more discs then and made money selling more copies of the game. They choose not to and waited several years before putting it online now why should people pay the developer for a used copy of the game when they aren't even manufacturing anymore? According to you they should be paid over and over for it. Yet they didn't even make more copies when they already had the demand for it. Why should they get paid over and over? and for games where there is more copies then demand why should people pay $60 just because they say? If the don't make it worth that people won't pay it. You can try to compare to pirates all you like but there is a difference between paying market price and making an illegal copy of the game. One respects the manufactures right to create the game the other disregards it entirely.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Zucas said:
Only pirating is immoral. It is the only one where the publisher (not the developer as they have no role in this part) is not actually selling the copy to someone. In all the others, the developer has already sold that copy so at least they got something out of it. In pirating... they get nothing.

Same with used games as well. They see nothing from them.

Erm, yes they do, not directly, but they do. Have you ever sold some games you weren't fond of or had beaten, so you could then use that money to buy a new release? I would venture a guess most people have.

@ironman

Counterfeits are not perfect copies and unless it's money they get tried for fraud not sopyright infringement.

Pirated copies are not perfect either, you have to patch them (on PC) and in most cases you cannot play them on a validated server. And while technically the argument doesn't work, it was still a good analogy, For all intents and purposes Counterfits = Pirating

Also, in some counterfiting cases,  the purchaser thinks they are getting an origional, not a copy.

As to used game sales being good for the industry, then so are pirated games. Developers see none of the money in either case.

Nope, devs don't see money from Pirates, if they can pirate one game, they will pirate more. Also, The used game market, more games must be sold, one new game must be sold for one used game to be sold, in a pirate "market" one game is is bought, then given to many people who otherwise could have bought a new or used compy. So...you fail...now, you never told me what game dev you work for...who ever it is, let them know that they would be idiots to kill off the used game market.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

twesterm said:
  • Renting-- no problem with that, places that rent media pay for a rental licences

What about a place like Gamefly where you can buy something after renting it? Does the game company make money of the purchase as well because Gamefly has to replace the rental copy? Always wondered about that.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Lafiel said:
you haven't listed the only criminal one:

- pirating the game and selling it to other people (mostly at a fraction of the real price, sometimes for full price)

True, this one is the worst... but it is really far far off from the others. I doubt anyone will have arguments for this to be legal.

_____

c0rd said:

I've noticed that many people attack others that buy used games, because their money is not contributing anything to the game developer. 

I'm just wondering, why is no blame put on those that sell the games? If I buy Muramasa for $50, and sell it 2 weeks later for $30 (to someone who then keeps it), who contributed more to the developer?

__

People that buy used games are not at fault, they buy their games in a shop (or ebay, but since there are shops, for them it's the same).

Where there is a problem (imho) is when a shop makes a profit out of reselling, because that profit is money people were willing to put thowards a game purchase that the developper did not recieve.

When you buy on ebay, every one either breaks even or loses a small portion of the game's value, it would be akin to renting without a license.

One could have a gaming budget of 100$ for the year and a rollover on games, he'd probably get to fully play 10-20 games in the year and most of the profit would go to the post office. He did not contribute much to the industry.

When you buy in a store, you are willing to pay an amount close to the full price (about 70_80% in france) and when you resell you get something like 30_40%, the margin does not bennefit the industry.

This is also akin to renting, but the customer pays much more, and a company makes a large profit. The customer did not contribute much to the industry.

______

Khuutra said:

chocoloco said:

Ethics are subjectively, culturally, and historically relative. So technically none are morally wrong. Who are we to judge .

Well, we still have to judge relative to current moralistic understanding. It would be one thing to try to judge another time period, but it's fine to pass judgment on our own.

_______

There is the Pirate party in europe, they have a seat at the EU. They are anti copyright.

I say this because if there is ever enough of them elected, copyright would fall and piracy as in video game dl would become legal in europe. These are subjective ethics, and it just happends that the subject of piracy is actuality.

_______

Zucas said:
Vlad- now I'm actually surprised because there is a very strong argument for the case of Used games being even worse than pirating. Actually something you said to disagree with... and that is how many people it can affect. Piracy is pretty big right now but it will never be mainstream enough to get the mainstream involved in it. Aren't going to see mom and pop downloading games through torrents and whatnot. But used games are sold in stores where they buy the new games. They aren't going to see the moral difference and thus used games can be largely mainstream where EVERY gamer does it... something piracy could never achieve. Even more so as Best Buy and Toys R Us are looking to enter the used game market.

This is actually the argument publishers are using that even though piracy hurts the affects of used games will hurt even worse given the mainstream appeal ability they have. That is why I still consider used games to be a very very close problem to that of piracy. Just the deal is that piracy is immoral and illegal while used games are protected by the system and against rights to take it away. Meaning you got to find another way to fight it.

_______

Usually the used market refers to items that loose physical integrity, so there is a limit to how much they can be recycled. DVDs can be scratched and all, but you'd think the average customer would not play freesby with them all day long and try to avoid harming them, one reason is that they would either loose replayability or resell capacity. This means that used games are a field where the turnover is probably much higher than say for books. This is also due to the price of the items. You won't find much resell market for Starcraft 1 or Diablo 2 since they are below 10$ new.... this just makes the used game market more of a problem as it targets only the highly profitable section of the industry.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

here's a little game:

Imagine a small communoty, say town XYZ with a population of 100, far off from other towns, so that's it's quite independent. There aren't many gamers there, just about 6 boys in their teens. Their total wealth is 120$ (20 each)

The town shop decides to sell games and used games. LegendofBooBoo comes out, great game, 60$. Boy A buys the game.

1) They all pitched in 10$ , boy A copies the game for his 5 friends and they all have fun playing.
_ Developper made 50$ the store clerk made 10$. all the kids have fun.
_ all kids are left with 10$ each.

2) Boy A borrowed 40$, he plays the game, sells it back for 40$ (it just came out, so high value), reimburses his friends and then an other friend buys the used game for 50$, plays it, sells it back for 30$, and an other at 40 sell at 20... 30-10... 20 and the game scratches and can't be resold.
_ Developper made 50$, the store clerk made 50$.
_ Kid F has 20$ all other kids have 0$. Kid F didn't get to play the game.

3) The store doesn't do used games and Kids are against copyright infridgement.
_ Developper makes 0$.
_ no one can play the game (not enough money), kids buy candy instead and get fat.

LegendofBooboo2 comes out.... which scenario has the developper make more profit??

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
here's a little game:

Imagine a small communoty, say town XYZ with a population of 100, far off from other towns, so that's it's quite independent. There aren't many gamers there, just about 6 boys in their teens. Their total wealth is 120$ (20 each)

The town shop decides to sell games and used games. LegendofBooBoo comes out, great game, 60$. Boy A buys the game.

1) They all pitched in 10$ , boy A copies the game for his 5 friends and they all have fun playing.
_ Developper made 50$ the store clerk made 10$. all the kids have fun.
_ all kids are left with 10$ each.

2) Boy A borrowed 40$, he plays the game, sells it back for 40$ (it just came out, so high value), reimburses his friends and then an other friend buys the used game for 50$, plays it, sells it back for 30$, and an other at 40 sell at 20... 30-10... 20 and the game scratches and can't be resold.
_ Developper made 50$, the store clerk made 50$.
_ Kid F has 20$ all other kids have 0$. Kid F didn't get to play the game.

3) The store doesn't do used games and Kids are against copyright infridgement.
_ Developper makes 0$.
_ no one can play the game (not enough money), kids buy candy instead and get fat.

LegendofBooboo2 comes out.... which scenario has the developper make more profit??

Well, none, because the market is a much larger place than one town. The demographics change drastically when going from a large group of people, to a small group of people. But  Iunderstand whay you are trying to do...so I will play along...scenario 3!!!!! lol

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!