By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy dominating home console RPG. Fair or Not Fair

@Kenryoku_Maxis:
I don't buy that. Ps3/x360s fault that major franchises went to handhelds? How so? The Wii was right fucken there. And it has always been cheap. And it has always sold well.
So if the Ps3 had launched at a cheaper price it would've made a diference? Explain your logic.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network

Also, in regard to the topic in general;

Do you guys actually REMEMBER playing some of the games of these "oppressed" developers?

Games like Persona 3 are literally designed to NOT have multimillion sales from the ground up.  

1. Datingsim elements that make your average western FPSARETHEBESTRAWR! gamer go "lolwut?" -1 million sales

2. Said elements that require either extensive trial and error or guides to really succeed in.  Alienating the casuals - 1 million sales

3. Extremely heavy emphasis on modern Japanese culture that makes the guys from #1 say "lol emo" - 1 million sales.

4. Huge learning curve just for normal combat (uncontrollable teammates, hundreds of persona choices requiring extensive planning and foresight for real effectiveness) again alienating the casuals. - 1 million sales.

Johann said:
@Kenryoku_Maxis:
I don't buy that. Ps3/x360s fault that major franchises went to handhelds? How so? The Wii was right fucken there. And it has always been cheap. And it has always sold well.
So if the Ps3 had launched at a cheaper price it would've made a diference? Explain your logic.

...they never put the RPGs on the Wii.  What RPGs went to the Wii until recently?  Chocobo Racing?  Dragon Quest Swords?  Yeah, nothing.

It was only in the year or so that RPGs started appearing on the Wii like Fragile, Tales of Symphonia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, etc.

The point is, the PS3 was more expensive and initially had few games and Japan didn't like the 360 (or the games on it).  So they just defaulted to handhelds as they always do.  And the haldhelds ended up having the majority of the games the Japanese public wanted early on.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Johann said:
@Kenryoku_Maxis:

...they never put the RPGs on the Wii.  What RPGs went to the Wii until recently?  Chocobo Racing?  Dragon Quest Swords?  Yeah, nothing.

It was only in the year or so that RPGs started appearing on the Wii like Fragile, Tales of Symphonia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, etc.

That's my point. If price or hw sales were the issues they could've just turned to the Wii. It was there. Why didn't they?

My guess is that even if Ps3 traded places with the Wii from the start of the generation, the support would still not be there.

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Johann said:
@Kenryoku_Maxis:

PSP , DS it's cheaper, userbase are way bigger.

and it's cheaper develop.

it wasn't for the piracy the PSP software sales would be quite interesting in japan. even so monster hunter it's a hit.

that didn't translate so well into consoles.

Around the Network
Xoj said:
Johann said:
@Kenryoku_Maxis:

it wasn't for the piracy the PSP software sales would be quite interesting in japan. even so monster hunter it's a hit.

Okay, so why hasn't the rest of the world just moved on to handhelds then? Why just Japanese companies?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Johann said:
Xoj said:
Johann said:
@Kenryoku_Maxis:

Okay, so why hasn't the rest of the world just moved on to handhelds then? Why just Japanese companies?

But pretty much every company has moved to handhelds.  Maybe not RPGs, but nearly every company you can think of, from EA to Konami to Capcom to SquareEnix to even Bioware, the popular developers behind Mass Effect and KOTOR, has made a major DS game.

Now they aren't just going to boycott consoles, but they recognize that handhelds are outselling consoles by a LOT.

I noticed that the Wii quietly added a whole bunch of rpgs to it's ranks lately. They seem to all be selling quite low though. I'm pretty sure there is a "core" market on the Wii for these games so why aren't these games selling as well as the hd and handheld jrpgs? These Wii rpgs are probably gonna be super rare and expensive one day.

Ataraxias said:

Also, in regard to the topic in general;

Do you guys actually REMEMBER playing some of the games of these "oppressed" developers?

Games like Persona 3 are literally designed to NOT have multimillion sales from the ground up.  

1. Datingsim elements that make your average western FPSARETHEBESTRAWR! gamer go "lolwut?" -1 million sales

2. Said elements that require either extensive trial and error or guides to really succeed in.  Alienating the casuals - 1 million sales

3. Extremely heavy emphasis on modern Japanese culture that makes the guys from #1 say "lol emo" - 1 million sales.

4. Huge learning curve just for normal combat (uncontrollable teammates, hundreds of persona choices requiring extensive planning and foresight for real effectiveness) again alienating the casuals. - 1 million sales.

Ditto......please do not blame Square-Enix for other publishers who aren't willing to adapt & do what square did to succeed.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

loves2splooge said:

I noticed that the Wii quietly added a whole bunch of rpgs to it's ranks lately. They seem to all be selling quite low though. I'm pretty sure there is a "core" market on the Wii for these games so why aren't these games selling as well as the hd and handheld jrpgs? These Wii rpgs are probably gonna be super rare and expensive one day.

Third parties haven't put their major RPGs on a Nintendo system for over three generations.  They skipped over the N64 and only a handful were put on the GameCube.  And now when this gen came out, for over three years, they skipped both the Wii and PS3 and put their major RPG releases on the 360 and handhelds.  Consumers aren't just gonna go running out and buying RPGs on the Wii now after 12+ years of hardly any RPGs on a Nintendo platform and still anticipating everything on a 'HD' platform.  Its going to take time, advertising and a few high quality games to turn peoples thinking around to the idea that Wii (and Nintendo consoles) can actually have good RPGs.  And as of yet, the Wii has yet to have that 'killer app' RPG title.