By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy dominating home console RPG. Fair or Not Fair

Onyxmeth said:
darthdevidem01 said:
yes and?

I saw no teenage melodrama in the TGS trailer

there was melodrama, but this is Final Fantasy, so thats nothing to moan about.

If anything the trailer proved to me the characters in an FF will not be boring & will rule again (after FF12's unlikeable characters, barring balthier).

Well what were the ages of the people involved in the melodrama? If they were between the ages of 13-19, then it's teenage melodrama.

Lightning, Snow, and Sazh are atleast in there 20s(possibly the 30s for the latter)

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
darthdevidem01 said:
yes and?

I saw no teenage melodrama in the TGS trailer

there was melodrama, but this is Final Fantasy, so thats nothing to moan about.

If anything the trailer proved to me the characters in an FF will not be boring & will rule again (after FF12's unlikeable characters, barring balthier).

Well what were the ages of the people involved in the melodrama? If they were between the ages of 13-19, then it's teenage melodrama.

Lightning, Sazh, Snow, possibly vanille = 20 +

Serah = 18

Hope = 14

Teenage melodrama?

sure, thats not possible when most of em were adults.

Besides whats wrong with teenage melodrama?

shoot them for trying to go back to the FF8 & FF7 style after fans showed hate on them with their FF12 approach.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Riachu said:
darthdevidem01 said:
outlawauron said:
loves2splooge said:

I'm VERY skeptical about Final Fantasy XIII. In one way, I am hoping that it'll breathe life into the genre and make it less stale. On the other hand, I look at the teenage melodrama trailer and I seriously wonder if I'm no longer the target demographic anymore. The convoluted teen melodramas that were FF7 and FF8 were fun when I was young but so was freakin nu metal. Doesn't mean anything. Final Fantasy and most jrpgs haven't grown up and cater mainly to pre-teens and teens and hardcore grown men fanboys who still seriously believe that FF7 had a masterpiece of a story even though it was pretty just pop corn entertainment with some pretention.

That said, Final Fantasy deserves the success they had because they were willing to take the risks necessary to make the genre popular while companies like ATLUS stubbornly cater to their already-converted echo chamber fanbase.

What teen melodrama trailer did FFXIII have? I've certainly not seen one.

ditto

what the hell is he going on about?

He is talking about the TGS 2009 trailer.  Melodrama is associated with soap operas.  Soap operas are for the most part poorly written so if anything has melodrama in it, it will be ragged on by a select few people.

Uh, where's the teen melodrama in that trailer? I mean, I wouldn't call Hope's action melodrama at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

darthdevidem01 said:

You'll understand better when you're not a teenager.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Its fair, they have better graphics, music, animation and VA than almost any RPG, they make games with good gameplay and create good stories for almost every new game they make.

They advertise their product and they deserve their sales because the product is good quality.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
darthdevidem01 said:

so basically getting angry at teenage melodrama will feel like getting angry at casual games?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I find it really lame that anything involving a possible love story is automatically catalogued as teenage melodrama and bad quality.

darthdevidem01 said:
Onyxmeth said:
darthdevidem01 said:

so basically getting angry at teenage melodrama will feel like getting angry at casual games?

I wouldn't know. I'm not angry at casual games. I guess to you it would be like listening to the melodrama of a 10-12 year old.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Maybe it's just me but jrpg-wise, stuff like Muramasa (played it on a friend's Wii, it's great. Looks like something that would never get boring. It's stuff like that that makes me not lose faith in the genre.) for me is actually FUN. Why can't we have more games like that? A lot of FF games feel like chores where you go through a bunch of boring battles in a dungeon to get rewarded with a cutscene/narrative (that isnt interesting anymore when you aren't a teen) and maybe a good boss fight like some sort of lab rat pushing the lever for some dopamine fix. And that's not me bashing the turn-based system. Turn-based can be fun if the game is designed well just like real-time elements can put me to sleep (like FFXII, Eternal Sonata and ToV.. I just can't get into Tales. Maybe the older ones are better).

@ loves2splooge

Well, games like Muramasa are more action games than RPGs. It is a great game though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.