By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy dominating home console RPG. Fair or Not Fair

i was gonna say well maybe if other publishers got off their asses and actually marketed their games, they'd sell better..

but onyxmeth beat me to it >.

Around the Network

I think it's fair. What's unfair is other great titles such as Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears selling much less.

It's capitalism. As long as they aren't breaking fair competition law, which I don't see, than they can have all the sales they want.

However, some of SE's actions such as supporting the wrong console this generation has allowed smaller devs like NIS get a better name in the jRPG world.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

I'm actually suprised by how much Xenogears sold, it is a game with a very, very complex plot.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Rei said:

FFXII got adjusted up in Europe, finally. Still too low for such a masterpiece.

And to answer the OP - Final Fantasy selling less wouldnt benefit any other games you named. If anything, it would only harm them.

I had a little help in that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Rei said:

FFXII got adjusted up in Europe, finally. Still too low for such a masterpiece.

And to answer the OP - Final Fantasy selling less wouldnt benefit any other games you named. If anything, it would only harm them.

I had a little help in that.

Good job. Too bad Kingdom Hearts 2 is still undertracked in both US an Europe.

Onyxmeth said:
twesterm said:
I think SE has pretty unfairly raised the bar for JRPG's and are pretty much destroying the genre.

It's not that they are making great games anymore (or at least the FF games aren't great), it's that they have these insanely high budgets that other publishers can't match but SE can get away with because they know the FF name means several million units and a Cloud clone means another million units.

You mean other publishers like Microsoft, Namco Bandai and Konami? Those small guys that can't make big budget RPGs to match Square Enix? Let's be real here. No one else tries as hard as Square Enix does to sell an RPG (besides Nintendo), and that is why Final Fantasy is where it's at and why the only other largely successful RPG franchise to come along on consoles since the NES days is Kingdom Hearts. Square understands what RPG gamers want enough of the time, and they understand how to market it to them. No other publisher believes in their RPGs enough to market them like a large scale, multimillion selling title. They buy ad space in dying game magazines for a month or two and they get appropriate sales for doing so.

So the big dogs can hang with the big dogs?

I'm talking about studios like Atlus that make phenominal games but just cannot compete because they don't have an infinite budget that people expect from an RPG.  It's sad but true that people will buy what looks better and SE can take as long as they want to make their games look perfect and if you don't look as good as the best, you're shit.

Stupid threads like this prove that.

YES FF12 adjusted up

so it sold more than FF9, the last FF of the PS1 gen

so FF isn't in decline.....TAKE THAT SORIKU!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

It's not gonna last forever. The western world has found out about WRPGs and are buying them now.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
The Final Fantasy titles have actually been slowly selling less each title since FFVII. And, like everything, it depends on if you're talking about worldwide or regional sales.

If you're talking about worldwide sales, Final Fantasy might be the best seller on consoles. If you're talking about regional, a couple others probably surpass it. Stuff like Dragon Quest in Japan or recent WRPGs in America.

your on VGC which has a VERY GOOD database for sales of ALL FF game

yet you make a FACTUAL error of such massive proportions, seriously use the sites resources

FF DECLINED with FF8.....after that it never declined again. Ever. Except for when FF12 sold less than FF10.....but FF9 sold less than FF8 too....so that decline was merely because of the "end of gen, loss of interest, nex gen consoles out" feeling going round.

FFX sold more than FF8 & FF12 sold more than FF9

if anything after the decline showed by FF8, the FF franchise rose up again.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey