By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega DETERMINED to “CRACK core gaming” on Wii -- Madworld sold well enough!

The Grinder could be the answer, that's a game that seems much more interesting than the conduit, i hope SEGA publish it

Around the Network
loves2splooge said:
Games like Madworld, No More Heroes, Muramasa, The Conduit, etc. wouldn't sell 1 million+ on the PS360 either though. These are all niche games. Especially NMH and Muramasa. Suda51 is too indie and Muramasa would only appeal to the action jrpg market (the jrpg market is pretty niche outside of Final Fantasy, Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts). I'm including The Conduit in that as well. How often do you see a shooter with under 70 metascore selling a lot on the PS360? Perhaps there might be some but I can't come up with any off the top of my head to be honest. Look at games like WET. You know the type of game that has that testosterone-filled appeal, a hot chick to boot and had some commercials during The Ultimate Fighter yet barely anyone bought it. I bet the publisher lost bags of money on that considering the poor sales and how expensive it is to develop for HD consoles.

I agree. Those titles are niche and only appeal to a small percentage of the of the already small "core" demographic on the wii. Sega needs to do something extraordinary to get the attention they seek; luckily they are well versed in the extraordinary.

Currently Playing: NSMB wii, LoZ: Phantom hourglass (DS), Muramasa (Wii), Prince of Persia (PS3), Final Fantasy III (DS), Left 4 Dead (PC), Panzer Dragoon Saga (SS), Radiant Silvergun (SS)

Always Playing: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii), SFIV (PS3), Mario Kart Wii

Steam: the_green_knight453

PSN: VincentVIII

Wii: .........

Proud owner of: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, PS1, PS2 (slim), PS3, SS, DC, GBP, DSi

I truly think that the main problem that developers/publishers have been having with selling core games on the wii is in fact not of their own making.

Living in London, and having seen game shops and HMVs all over england in the past few years, the one thing that is obvious is that these core games are being given NO shelf space whatsoever.

The core games for the wii get released without a whisper, and get a tiny amount of space in a chart, maybe having one dvd front poking its head out on the whole wall of wiidom. There is little to no advertising around the store for upcoming releases other than mario and wii fit types, and after a week of this one dvd front obscurely lying on the bottom shelf at chart position 17, it disappears into the section where only the spine can be seen with 104 other games.

The gamer who follows on the net will know about it and buy it anyway, or tbh have bought it online as its invariably cheaper, but the average guy, this slice of the 50 million users sega are chasing, simply will barely ever know the game exists. There is no shelf space or shelf priority for these games so the sales will be limited to those who follow them online and do their homework. which for the wii is a smll proportion of the market

combine this with non existant  GOOD advertising on TV for mature wii games, and they all slip unnoticed into oblivion.

HMV is the worst. I go in 4 scattered around london very regularly, and i have oly ever seen 3 metroid trilogys between them. So certainly in england, i swear, they dont sell because they are never on the shelves!

Anyway, something happened in 2008 where all of the hardcore gamers left, and all attempts this year are failing. I doubt severly as much as i hope, that any hardcore game from madworld/hotd overkill time onwards will repeat what re4, re:uc, hotd 2&3 etc did. that market seems to have disappeared entirely...

but i think with one AMAZING game, a game good enough that people would buy a wii to own, with huge advertising and store space would have a chance.

and once they sell it, they need to make sure that one sale advertising all of the other core games they are trying to push - advertise madworld, overkill and the conduit in the box, get trailers for their other games in the game menus etc.

once you have their attention, you dont let them get away!

Muramasa: the Demon Blade

^ That's true, in my local gamestop I can't find many core games that I want to buy such as The Conduit. I live in Sweden, so maybe core games for Wii aren't being distributed well across most parts of Europe.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I still think that the problem is that no real big 3rd party titles invested in the wii, and it's only just starting in Japan where we are bound to see huge hits there

Around the Network

Well that would be wonderful Sega, although I'm not sure if it would work out for ya. Madworld did better than expected because it was unique while The Conduit didn't for the opposite reasons. But I'd rather not have anyone sellout just to make a game that will sell well.

But I'd love another Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 3, House of the Dead: Overkill 2, Madworld 2 (although not your property so could be difficult), etc.

^He's also broke, Sega.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Yeah the shelf space thing is a big issue. Brick and mortar still matters. I do a lot of my shopping online but most don't. Most go to their local GameStop/EB (if they are more "core") or stuff like Wal-Mart if they are "casual" (which I'm sure would be less likely to carry these Wii games). I don't bother with brick and mortar much for games that much. I'll walk by the local video store and buy games (if they have something I like at a decent price) but I rarely do that. It's cheaper for me to ship (free if you buy over a certain value) than it is to take the bus or drive to EB.

At the end of the day though, PsWii360, PS3Wii, and Wii60 owners exist and I think these so-called "core games" can appeal to them if they have that "blockbuster" feel that a Halo, Gears of War, CoD, Resistance, Uncharted, etc. can bring to the table. Looking at the online gaming community, you know this demographic exists. But perhaps the online gaming community isn't representative (it often isn't). I'm no market researcher so I can't say. The DS is also suffering from these same issues. There are boatloads of "core" games for that but they are hard to find in stores. That's why so many anti-Nintendo fanboys ignorantly think the DS has no good third-party games. Hard to blame them for that perception when all they see is Nintendo, accessory games and shovelware on the shelves.

I have no clue how Sega is doing financially these days but if they started to aggressively market their games more, then maybe GameStop/EB, Best Buy, HMV and maybe even Wal-Mart will start making room for these games on their shelves.

Damn Zucas. The previous post meant Soriku.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

If Sega wants to reach the "core" audience they to stop pandering to us. Not every title has to be a mature title or on rail shooter. I need a sequels to Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Virtua On, Panzer Dragoon and Rez.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans